• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel graphics media accelerator driver issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rescuetoaster

Alright ya'll, this is infuriating.

I've got a Toshiba portege r700, it has an i5 520m and just the integrated graphics that come with it. When I installed windows 7, I just used the standard recovery discs that would come with this laptop, meaning the drivers were included on that disc.

Ok, so earlier this year I had updated the graphics driver to the latest release available through intel. Here's where things get a little stupid. I uninstalled the old driver before installing the newest one (or so I thought, read further), and installed the latest - however, I found I was getting some strange lock up issues that I attributed to the driver - so I uninstalled the latest intel release, and got the newest version Toshiba was offering through it's support site and installed that.

Anyways, lately I've been getting period issues with flash content, and just general craziness whenever there is GPU accelerated content being used. Thinking I'd screw around with the drivers again, I uninstalled the intel graphics media accelerator driver from add/remove programs. The computer restarted, and through some black magic, I still have an intel graphics driver installed, and the intel graphics control panel still exists and functions. Worse, the intel graphics media accelerator driver still appears in the add/remove programs, but now when I tell it to uninstall it just states that it may have uninstalled incorrectly, and would I like to remove it from add/remove programs.

Anyways, I'd rather not do a fresh install of W7 to troubleshoot this. Can anyone tell me where exactly all the intel garbage is installed to so I can manually remove everything? Or tell me if there is a utility to cleanly remove the drivers?

I...did not. Primarily out of laziness, which was dumb.

Ok, so I MAY have a solution - after the uninstall, I was unable to use device manager to uninstall the device driver and software. After reinstalling the newer driver (again, so it's like it had 2 drivers), I was THEN able to use device manager to uninstall the graphics driver + software. It seems that everything is actually removed everything this time. It's not telling me I had the newer or the original driver installed.

Edit: Ok, so I didn't realize youtube now has 60fps on some 720 and 1080 content. This 720p 60fps video plays fine for a few seconds then freezes, and causes the CPU usage to jump to 100 percent. Is this iGPU just not up to the task of accelerating these videos at that framerate? I mean, I know it's a first gen i5, but this is terrible.

Last edited:
Back