• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790K, maybe a pattern for OC with ambient cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

Hi all,

I've spent the past 3 days (well, let's say nights, lol!) fine tweaking my 4790k.

Yesterday night, I finally found the right settings for 4.8GHz/1.33v and 4.9GHz/1.395v, stable.
It took me quite a while playing with Agent Voltage, Cache, VRing and such (thanks Woomack for the advice).

Fans at full speed. Temps hitting respectively 73°[email protected] and 77°[email protected] with Aida64, and mid/high 60'[email protected] and low 70'[email protected] with XTU and CineBench R15. I ran a lot of these benchmarks in loop (maybe 30 of each, as I am not confident in Aida64 for stability testing...). Ambient around 19/20°C both nights.

I ran OCCT as well for [email protected] and [email protected], just to make sure...

So, rock solid it seemed... Until this afternoon.

It needed 0.02v extra to be stable at these frequency. I thouhgt I might have degraded the CPU as I tortured him up to 1.6v on air.

The only two factors that changed were ambient temp: from 19/20°C at night to 25/26°C day time, and the fans set to a custom profile, passive up to 50°C and then ramping up to 100%@80°C.

Before going deep into depression, prozac, booze and such for having degraded my lovely chip, I decided to try again those settings at night, with fan full speed, and custom profile.

And that's where I noticed the so-called patern: from 4.8GHz and up, when stressed, the CPU was crashing when reaching the high 70's in both Cinebench and XTU and needed an extra 0.02v at both freq to pass the benchmarks.

As soon as I turned the fans speed to 100%, and the temps remained in the high 60's, low 70's, pfff, problem gone.

Now able to run in loops CB R11.5@5GHz/1.46v at night, with temps@77/78°C, but XTU and CB R15 won't pass as they need 0.02 extra vCore, and then temps hit the low 80's and crash.

It make s me think a bit of the Phenom II's that were losing stability from 4GHz and up when reaching the mid 50's while the could run@60°C+ up to 3.9GHz, with no problem.

Makes sense Manu, I have noticed the same with my 4770k. Out of all of the chips I've Oced I find my 4770k to be more sensitive to heat then most of them, even if it's well below the suggested high temperature area.

Last edited:
^Yes, exactly.

Neither my 2600K's or 3770k did behave like this.

Only the Deneb's/Thuban's. Not even the FX's (they can take a lot of heat compared to the PhenomII's, lol).

FX's (they can take a lot of heat compared to the PhenomII's, lol).
Agreed, I do not find the two Fx's I own to be nearly as sensitive to slight changes in heat as the Haswell. My 8350 is a brute I can beat the wee out of it and it asks for more. :D

Increasing VRing to 2.15 and system agent to 1.25 helped reducing the before by 0.02v at 4.8 and 4.9ghz. No change below those free.

lol

If it makes you feel better Manu, I can't run above 4.4 "stable" due to temps even on my full loop. I can do 4.4 @ 1.23 two hours Prime but anything above that the voltage required sends me into the high 90's, did I say my chip runs hot? :D

I do not really mess around too much with ambient overclocking , but the little I have done seems to work best using adaptive voltage

Its a 6 of one half dozen of the other to me... I don't use adaptive as I hate basic math (VID + offset/adpative = vcore). Its easier to just set it as there are, in my experiences anyway, no other benefits as far as overclocking goes (power savings sure).

Haswell also has a wide variance in required vcore for what you are running. At 4.7, 4.8 and 5.0, I can run aida64 for an hour at .06 to 07v less vcore than needed to run most recent prime. Gaming seems to be in between. I have tried running 4.7ghz at .03v than needed for most recent prime 24hrs and still no crashes or whea errors in a week or 2 of use including gaming shadow of mordor for hours. But I cant game at aida64 1hour stable volts, but +.03 more works fine. That is all at same ambient temps 25C.

Hi all,

I've spent the past 3 days (well, let's say nights, lol!) fine tweaking my 4790k.

Yesterday night, I finally found the right settings for 4.8GHz/1.33v and 4.9GHz/1.395v, stable.
It took me quite a while playing with Agent Voltage, Cache, VRing and such (thanks Woomack for the advice).

Fans at full speed. Temps hitting respectively 73°[email protected] and 77°[email protected] with Aida64, and mid/high 60'[email protected] and low 70'[email protected] with XTU and CineBench R15. I ran a lot of these benchmarks in loop (maybe 30 of each, as I am not confident in Aida64 for stability testing...). Ambient around 19/20°C both nights.

I ran OCCT as well for [email protected] and [email protected], just to make sure...

So, rock solid it seemed... Until this afternoon.

It needed 0.02v extra to be stable at these frequency. I thouhgt I might have degraded the CPU as I tortured him up to 1.6v on air.

The only two factors that changed were ambient temp: from 19/20°C at night to 25/26°C day time, and the fans set to a custom profile, passive up to 50°C and then ramping up to 100%@80°C.

Before going deep into depression, prozac, booze and such for having degraded my lovely chip, I decided to try again those settings at night, with fan full speed, and custom profile.

And that's where I noticed the so-called patern: from 4.8GHz and up, when stressed, the CPU was crashing when reaching the high 70's in both Cinebench and XTU and needed an extra 0.02v at both freq to pass the benchmarks.

As soon as I turned the fans speed to 100%, and the temps remained in the high 60's, low 70's, pfff, problem gone.

Now able to run in loops CB R11.5@5GHz/1.46v at night, with temps@77/78°C, but XTU and CB R15 won't pass as they need 0.02 extra vCore, and then temps hit the low 80's and crash.

It make s me think a bit of the Phenom II's that were losing stability from 4GHz and up when reaching the mid 50's while the could run@60°C+ up to 3.9GHz, with no problem.

Obviously these voltage settings are safe but, as a complete noob at OCing and a broke one at that. Am I taking a huge risk at trying these settings? I am currently running my 4790k at 4.7 at 1.25 volts. I tried 4.8 at 1.3 but wasnt stable and crashed. Even though temps were at low 70's. I am using MSI z97 Gaming 7 mobo with 2x8 DDR3 GSkill Trident 2666MHz 12 13 13 35

Depends for what are you using your PC. If it's for gaming etc then 4.7GHz is more than enough. For benching any higher clock helps but raising voltage brings the risk of killing something. On air/water voltage up to 1.35V should be safe. Above all depends from chip and it's still too fresh CPU to say how long it will live at higher voltages ( probably it will be replaced before it die due to overvolting/degradation ).

Obviously these voltage settings are safe but, as a complete noob at OCing and a broke one at that. Am I taking a huge risk at trying these settings? I am currently running my 4790k at 4.7 at 1.25 volts. I tried 4.8 at 1.3 but wasnt stable and crashed. Even though temps were at low 70's. I am using MSI z97 Gaming 7 mobo with 2x8 DDR3 GSkill Trident 2666MHz 12 13 13 35

You use 2666 very fast ram, you need to raise the system agent to something like 1.25v.

You can also try raising the VRing to 2.1/2.12v.

You use 2666 very fast ram, you need to raise the system agent to something like 1.25v.

You can also try raising the VRing to 2.1/2.12v.

Is this to help with my current OC of 4.7 or to go up to 4.8. I raised the voltage to 1.33 and achieved 4.8 but, something happened with my graphics card and made me crash during a gaming session. Im using MSI Geforce GTX 760 OC 2 g

Back