• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help picking a CPU for gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can monitor the usage yourself.

It is wise to have 4 cores/4 threads for gaming now. Some games require at least 4 threads to run now and will not even launch on a 2 thread system.
You close a lot of doors for yourself when you choose a dual core CPU. I would go with at least an i5 for gaming, unless you are on an extremely tight budget.
tell which game please...

I believe dragon age inquisition had that requirement. I've definitely read a few reports of people in the last few months have that issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Witcher game required 4c as well

I believe dragon age inquisition had that requirement. I've definitely read a few reports of people in the last few months have that issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Witcher game required 4c as well

with DA:i, after reading, if its using the an engine that has been out for a while now with lots of dual cores running the engine. there cant be anything going on in that game that is really going to need a quad core. this just seems pure horse hocky to get people to spend money to help push a up a faltering pc segement. pc market is kind of a horse and buggy area, some times you need the a better horse for the buggy. sometimes you need a better buggy for the horse, if the buggy has been around a while. selling it as one that needs more of horse then it really does is just crazy and stupid.

there is a reason why i quit playing certain game franchises a while ago. this is just another one to add to the list of reasons that will be spreading to other games soon if not already.

I may have been incorrect on DA, but from googling it looks like far cry 4 may and watch dogs did?

You say "gaming", but what games?

If you play say Guild Wars 2 or Tera MMOs for example, an AMD would be a dismal experience, and in fact, your fps numbers would more than double by getting pretty much ANY i5 over an 8350 or higher AMD cpu.

AMD performance in GW2 is just pathetic. It runs better on [email protected] than [email protected]/[email protected]. GW2 actually scales good with even 6 core+ CPUs in WvW. Similar experience with couple of other games.
2 threads are not enough for many games right now. Still good for most older games and some new titles but anything 4 threaded gives better experience.

New Windows systems are using load balance so it's hard to check real core usage in games. System will show high load on all cores. However if all cores are at 100% then it means that game can use all CPU threads ( or you have many other services running ).

i didnt say prove it, just wanted to know which ones.... if you took that from 4 words, thats your problem not mine. i dont play that many games any more, nor do i play more current ones.

you might want to take a step back and look at what your doing here if thats the attitude your going to have.

*edit*
just pointing out this post was in response to one that theocnoob did and then deleted it.

Last edited:
Back