• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7950 crossfire issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrLink

Hello, I am a newbie when it comes to OCing but have come here to learn to do it properly. I built my PC nearly 2 years ago but haven't played it much in between sadly..... now I am having issues with getting crossfire to work properly again. It involves only ~50% of the 2nd GPU being utilised:

z0.png

This problem only emerged a few days ago after I tried playing AW. Because crossfire wasn't working for that game I instead used one GPU but decided to wait until AMD would release driver updates so I could comfortably crossfire instead. Well, ever since re-enabling crossfire and no matter how I tweak it, it appears that under load crossfire only works for a minute or two and cuts out.

Please help! :confused:

First thing a lot of people are going to want to see is a detailed list of your system components. Saves the trouble of asking about each piece that may be suspect.

That being said, regardless of components I would try a couple things first.
1. Try reseating the GPU's.
2. Reset CCC to defaults
3. Failing that uninstall/reinstall drivers. AMD says to just use programs and features to uninstall it. Or you can use this method, Also you can search for the AMD Catalyst Clean Uninstall Utility (All 3 have worked for me)

First thing a lot of people are going to want to see is a detailed list of your system components. Saves the trouble of asking about each piece that may be suspect.

That being said, regardless of components I would try a couple things first.
1. Try reseating the GPU's.
2. Reset CCC to defaults
3. Failing that uninstall/reinstall drivers. AMD says to just use programs and features to uninstall it. Or you can use this method, Also you can search for the AMD Catalyst Clean Uninstall Utility (All 3 have worked for me)

Thanks Luke, I swapped/reseated the GPUs and uninstalled the drivers using the AMD CCUU method then reinstalled the latest drivers. Thinking heat might be the culprit (where I live there is a heatwave this weekend) I also moved my setup downstairs where it is *much* cooler. Also checked for dust - all good except for the CPU which had a considerable amount.

I used Heaven Benchmark 4.0 a few times to test for stability. Seemed to be running very well again i.e. both GPUs were being used equally.

z4.JPG

During playing AW for an hour or so the stuttering got consistently worse. However, I was still getting very high frames. While playing, the GPUs started to not work as hard:

z3.png

Could just be AW related? I don't have any other games to test right now.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening to both cards during load?

Hmm... Try downloading EVGA PrecisionX and enabling Kboost (forces cards to operate @ boost frequency 100% of the time) not sure if it will work with AMD cards.

Something is amiss in Heaven benchmark as well. Your scores should be at least double that...

nvm Didn't notice the AA and tessellation

Last edited:
Back