• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help - thermaltake water 3 performer CPU fan connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PoorbandTony

Hi,

I'm having some trouble understanding the cabling on my new motherboard and the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer.

The 2 fans join to a Y-splitter, and that connection is a 4 pin female socket.

The other cable coming out of the actual pump is 3 pin.

However, my motherboard - a Z97X Gaming GT - has 2 connections relating to the CPU fans - CPU_Fan and CPU_Opt. Both of these are male 4 pin connections.

My question is - which cable goes where? According to the motherboard manual - the CPU_Fan has the following config :

Pin 1 = GND, 2 = +12v, 3=Sense and 4=Speed Control

And CPU_OPT is :

1 = GND, 2 = Speed Control, 3 = Sense and 4 = VCC.

My confusion is two-fold - firstly, can I just plug the 3 pin cable into one of the 4 pin connections - and if so, which way around do I plug them in - the fans to CPU_Fan and pump to Cpu_OPT, or the other way around? I understand that one controls the pump, and the other the 2 large fans, and that the pump needs a constant power input - but I'm baffled on what goes where.

I'd really appreciate the help - been a very long time since I've built a PC.

Cheers,
Tony

:welcome: to OCFs.

I don't think it matters. Choose one for the pump and one for the fan. Which ever you choose for the pump, make sure to go into your BIOS and have that header run @ constant 100% while having the other header with the fans go based off on the CPU temps.

Back