• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would Like To Connect To Friends PC's Via Remote Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have a few friends who sometimes need my help on there PC's I have Windows 7 and most of them do as well all our connections to the internet are on ADSL+2 connection via a router mines wired and there's are most wireless how do I connect to there PC's via remote desktop with this connection I can't get around as much and this could and would help me and them to do it from home, it's just to help sort out driver issues and maybe security and what not. I would like to be able to connect and to let them know I am going to so they don't freak out I read on MS help that I need to set a password for my Win 7 account as do my friends but I don't know how to connect with us using Wireless/Wired Modem routers.

One option is to have your friends poke hole in their firewall for RDP (TCP port 3389) and you can connect to their external IP on that port for RDP. You could have them use team viewer. Another good option is Splashtop personal, allows you to have 5 connections, it doesn't require any ports to be open in the firewall like team viewer.

I would strongly advise setting up some sort of VPN (e.g. Hamachi) or port-knocking filter (not sure of any Windows software, but is easy enough to set up on OpenWRT) on these systems. Remote desktop ports see a LOT of brute-force attempts.

I would strongly advise setting up some sort of VPN (e.g. Hamachi) or port-knocking filter (not sure of any Windows software, but is easy enough to set up on OpenWRT) on these systems. Remote desktop ports see a LOT of brute-force attempts.

Can always forward port 3389 to a high numbered port outside the range of a typical port scan.

So do I just install Teamviewer on both PC's and create a user on both and thats it I can help fix stuff on his PC from mine, this TV looks good to as it has a file transfer which will seriously come in handy.
Pretty much, yes. The password for connections is generated automatically, so you will have to get that every time they connect. I believe you can set a permanent password, though.

So do I just install Teamviewer on both PC's and create a user on both and thats it I can help fix stuff on his PC from mine, this TV looks good to as it has a file transfer which will seriously come in handy.
There are two ways you can setup Teamviewer. You could install the program and add it to your account, which gives you access any time you want without having someone at the remote computer. Alternatively, if they install the program, they can give you a "meeting ID", which would grant you remote access.

Both work well and have their uses. If you will be doing an unattended remote, add the computer to your account and set a remote access password or use a Windows username/password when logging in. This way, you don't need someone at the system to grant you access.

There are two ways you can setup Teamviewer. You could install the program and add it to your account, which gives you access any time you want without having someone at the remote computer. Alternatively, if they install the program, they can give you a "meeting ID", which would grant you remote access.

Both work well and have their uses. If you will be doing an unattended remote, add the computer to your account and set a remote access password or use a Windows username/password when logging in. This way, you don't need someone at the system to grant you access.

So if I install it on my friends PC and create an account and then add there PC to my account all I would need to do is ask my friend to power up there PC and open TV and I can then access there PC and fix stuff when there out, Seems easy enough.

So if I install it on my friends PC and create an account and then add there PC to my account all I would need to do is ask my friend to power up there PC and open TV and I can then access there PC and fix stuff when there out, Seems easy enough.
TeamViewer runs when the system starts up, by default, so the system would just need to be on.

TeamViewer runs when the system starts up, by default, so the system would just need to be on.

Right I have it loading up on start up and I have got 1 of my friends to install it and he created a account of TV as did I and we've been added to the MY COMPUTERS list My ID is the same and so is his but his password changes we both have created a private password and I have set-up a unattended session password also if my PC, If his PC is on and he's out how do I access it without him having to tell me the password and is there a way to save a password to his user name if you get me so I can just make a connection in the future more easily.

I have no idea what you are asking. That is one heck of a run-on sentence.

He is asking if he can connect whenever he wants without host being there to tell him what the password is.

If his PC is on and he's out how do I access it without him having to tell me the password and is there a way to save a password... so I can just make a connection in the future more easily.

If the program is not on, then I am pretty sure that password is randomly created when the program launches for the first time so someone would have to read it to you after the program launches for you to connect.

You can connect with TV without the host being there if you have added the computer to allow unattended login and add the machine to your machines under your login information. I have 5 machines setup this way.

I think he needs specific instructions on how to do that ... ;)

I have no idea what you are asking. That is one heck of a run-on sentence.

Sorry didn't mean to make it all tongue tide basically I wanted to be able to access my friends PC when he's away so say he has an issue he wants me to fix and I can't get round his Son can power up his PC and TV is already running as it runs at start up like mine does. I then double click on his PC in my list but it asks for a password now it does generate a new one every time it loads up no matter what but you can set up a personal password which we both have done, I just wanted to ask if I know that can I use his PW to get in and fix the issues or does he have to set-up unattended access and create a personal password in that for me to do it.

Back