• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been doing researching/thinking of buying either GTX 970 or GTX 980.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

As the title says, been doing researching/thinking of buying either GTX 970 or GTX 980.

My situation: nVidia Card that I have ever used -> EVGA GeForce 6800 (Main 1) -> EVGA 512MB GTS 8800 (Upgrade 1 from Main 1) -> EVGA GTS 450 -> ASUS GT 640 (Used to use for HTPC 1). All these cards, I just choose which ever was selling at that time.

So, I researched around this site and the web sites about GTX 970 and GTX 980.

I hear there are some problems with GTX 970 and GTX 980.

Are those some problems have been fixed it or not?

And if I decide to buy, I would like to choose from ASUS.

I hear ASUS has descent and quite a good cooling graphics cards? Or is it?

What problems?

Asus is fine... So is evga... MSI... Galaxy.... Reviewed a couple of the on the front page actually. Check it out.

Oh, ok, cool.
Thanks for reply.
*P.S: I meant the core whine and such others.

Last edited:
The 980Ti is on the radar, by the end of the year some say, more than likely though the mid first quarter.

I am waiting for that personally,

the Strix is a nice version of the 970 & 980, if I were in the market that is the one to get , good cooler and nice power section put these cards on the short list

Problems with GTX970/980 are usually when someone without idea what is doing, is trying to overclock them. So it's mainly problem with users as they expect to break world records even though they don't need higher clocks to play in max details in most available games.

From GTX980 most cards are good but ASUS seems best option for me right now. From GTX970 I would pick ASUS/Gigabyte. Maybe something like Galax would be on the list too but I had no chance to test one so it's hard to say much about them.

@Woomack: Oh, ok.

I guess when ever I buy one, when I gather enough money, I will buy either 970/980 from Asus.

So, as long as I don't overclock, I won't have problem like core whine?

COIL whine. And it can happen at any clock. ;)

Sometimes overclocking can make it go away as it changes frequency.

Usually more FPS = more noise , easiest fix = enable vsync what synchronizes FPS and display refresh rate which in most cases is 60hz so 60 FPS ( depends what monitor you have, can be more or less ).

Just left an R9 280x for Zotac GTX970(ZT-90101-10P) and it does have coil whine even with vsync on. It does get hot. When playing Alien Isolation, the temp gets as high as 80c compared to the R9 at its highest of 65c.

Try opening nvidia-settings and manually setting the fan to about 80% speed. That will help determine if it's a lazy default fan setting or some issue with the thermal setup.

I used CPU-Z to find the average temp on auto and manual(set to 66%), 75c and 65c respectively. So I think it's just the default fan profile, which i'll change. Funny that the max temp still gets as high as 80c.

I googled around and it seems that others are reporting temps in the 70's.

EDIT: Coil whine seems to be gone... Quieted down anyway...

Last edited:
Back