• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need VPN Static IP... VPN service vs hosting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Hi Guys

Im behind my ISP's network and not issued a real public IP, and they do not offer static IPs either.

But I really need it for my REMOTE MYSQL connection to my web host (so they can whitelist my IP) and for my local HTTP server (apache).

Which led me to think about getting a VPN subscription service w/ Static IP address.. i've looked at OpenVPN, HideIpVPN, and other. (w/c would you guys suggest>?)

Now the cheapest I found was around 5.99USD (hideIPVPN) <-- and that's pretty expensive, considering you can get a full webhosting w/ lots more resource for that price.

So I was thinking, yeh, what if for that amount i'd get a shared/cloud hosting package instead? and setup some sort of VPN through that (?) <-- is this possible? and would this be difficult?

Regards

Most cheap webhosting plans are just slices of shared hosting, and not a VPS. Shared hosting is generally jailed and you won't get root, and you probably won't be allowed to set up a VPN on the machine. If you buy a VPS (more expensive), you still might be limited to what sorts of things you can run on that server.

Go to http://arin.net and find your external IP at the top of the page. Click that IP and it'll do a whois search on that address and give you the CIDR for your ISP's block of addresses. You can have your remote server admin whitelist that entire block. Otherwise you could probably set something like DynDNS on your local machine to report back and update your dynamic IP as it is assigned.

ahh .. unfortunately my host refuse to whitelist more than 1 IP.. :( but thanks for the tip re VPS.

Im thinking if AMAZON cloud hosting can solve my issue?

Perhaps PROXY w/ static IP

That's absurd, who is your host? What happens if you have multiple folks or applications that need to access that database?
Maybe get a new host?

I'd suggest just getting a dynamic DNS updater installed on your machine. It will automatically update a static DNS record with your dynamic IP every time it changes. Easiest/cheapest route, but a VPN would work as well.. just be more expensive. Not to mention it'll slow your internet connection.

That's absurd, who is your host? What happens if you have multiple folks or applications that need to access that database?
Maybe get a new host?

I'd suggest just getting a dynamic DNS updater installed on your machine. It will automatically update a static DNS record with your dynamic IP every time it changes. Easiest/cheapest route, but a VPN would work as well.. just be more expensive. Not to mention it'll slow your internet connection.

My host is innohosting.com
Not really that absurd actually, since we are talking about remote MySQL connection. they said they have to limit whitelisting for this.. the app and user database usage are done through api's.. php scripts etc.. on the server so no need to whitelist those.

unfortunately most hosts are like this.. "security" reasons.

I don't see how a DNS updater (such as NO-IP?) can help for BOTH my needs as stated. thanks tho

I don't see how a DNS updater (such as NO-IP?) can help for BOTH my needs as stated. thanks tho

What are both of your needs? All I read was that you need a static, external IP address. A dynamic DNS updater will update a DNS record with your dynamic IP on your machine everytime it changes, so that whitelists can use that DNS record rather than an IP address.

I've never known a web host to only allow access to anything from a single IP address. The MySQL database that runs on my remote webserver is accessed directly from a number of places hosted on different servers all over the place. If I was limited to just a single whitelisted IP for access I'd be pissed. Instead of spending money on a VPN, just get a webhosting plan with a company that doesn't have arbitrary restrictions like that. The added 'security' of only allowing a single IP is trumped by the fact that you can't access your database from any machine that you want. In an enterprise environment, sure, it makes sense, but not in this case.

ive been using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ for a bit seems pretty good. nice speeds and everything, not sure on static ip though, their tech support is pretty good as well. might hit them up in their chat and see if they do static.

What are both of your needs? All I read was that you need a static, external IP address. A dynamic DNS updater will update a DNS record with your dynamic IP on your machine everytime it changes, so that whitelists can use that DNS record rather than an IP address.

I've never known a web host to only allow access to anything from a single IP address. The MySQL database that runs on my remote webserver is accessed directly from a number of places hosted on different servers all over the place. If I was limited to just a single whitelisted IP for access I'd be pissed. Instead of spending money on a VPN, just get a webhosting plan with a company that doesn't have arbitrary restrictions like that. The added 'security' of only allowing a single IP is trumped by the fact that you can't access your database from any machine that you want. In an enterprise environment, sure, it makes sense, but not in this case.

Hi,

I need the static ip for
1) Whitelisting of my IP (as we've been chatting bout)
2) Hosting of my local/dev HTTP server <-- i guess i failed to mention that I am behind our Telco's stupid network.. they do not issue REAL IP addresses to subscribers anymore(w/c sucks) so port-forwarding will not work. I needed a service / way to get a static IP w/c VPN/Tunnels to my machine so that ports can be opened.

That's odd indeed, I've never heard of an ISP putting subscribers on their own private network. Seems like that would be a logistical and security nightmare.

If that's the case, why don't you just pay for a webhost and domain and run both your MySQL database and your webserver on there? It'll still be cheaper than paying for a VPN plus the DB host you already pay for.

@pcgamer4life

Why they do this?
apparently this is a way for these cheap ******* ISPs to save money via minimizing IP ranges purchased for their network (?)

Locally hosting my apps/database etc is a terrible idea because
1) the internet is very unreliable in my country, i'd have to setup at least a DUAL WAN redundant router to even get to around 80% up time
2) the ISPs here are fckin *******s. they do not allow enough bandwidth between them locally.. so if my services are hosted on ISP A .... and my client is on ISP B. the packets will have to leave the country out to several nodes in asia and then back just to "cross over" from one ISP to another locally.. fckin stupid.

+1 Pcgame4life per recommendation, pay for webhost/domain and run your Db there.
Else you would end up save a dime and spend a dollar later on.

Back