• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phanteks Fan Hub - Little Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

Item - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...H-PWHUB_01_PWM_Fan_Hub-_-11-984-004-_-Product

I will be running 3x the stock fans in the Primo, the 140SP fans. Then, I will have 16 Helix 120 fans.

My ASRock Extreme 6 Z97 has the following:

2 x CPU Fan Connectors (1 x 4-pin, 1 x 3-pin)
3 x Chassis Fan Connectors (1 x 4-pin, 2 x 3-pin)
1 x Power Fan Connector (3-pin)

With the fans I have the Helix seem to pull about 2.5 watts (over compensating here) while the Phantek 140SP fans are less than 2 watts. But, what about at start up? My concern is then since I won't be running these at full speed.

Can I get away with two hubs, one running like 8x Helix and 2x Phantek with the other running 8x Helix and 1x Phantek? That's less than (using their numbers) the 30 watts, but it makes me nervous. Would going with three simply be the better way to do this?

I have had my hands on that case. I would recommend you get the case, hook the fans up with Y-cables and such, and then run the thing. Only if you can't get the fans to start up do you try getting fancy with additional hubs and stuff.

If you're only buying a PWM splitter, have you considered the Swiftech splitter?

If you're only buying a PWM splitter, have you considered the Swiftech splitter?

I had not, but that looks better. How much power can each hub handle? What I mean, I guess, is how much power can that SATA connector handle?

The Helix 120 PWM states a load of 0.2 A (is that max? At startup?). Could I y-cable all 16 Helix 120s to this one hub and thus one SATA power connector + MB Header?

The hub that comes with the case is the same as the one you can buy, and it recommends eleven fans max, but I can't see why. Why eleven? Certainly 11 Deltas at max RPM would not be the same as 11 Helix 120s at 25%.

The specs list a max wattage of 30 watts, but I don't know if that is based on how much the M/B provides via the header, or if that 30 watts is with the power connector applied.

Last edited:
The Swiftech one can handle 1A per header.

If Swiftech lists the Helix 120s as 0.2A, what would be a conservative number per hub? Would you put three?

I mean, all in all ATM, that hub I can hide very easily so it isn't a massive problem if I have to go with two and then hook up the additional fans on the case's hub.

It can handle 1A per header, there are 8 headers, so I would be comfortable running 32 of the Helix 120's off of it.

I have same case. The Phanteks PWM controlled fan hub is for 3-pin variable voltage fan control and it works very well. It uses PWM signal form motherboard to do voltage control of 12v power from PSU Phanteks says it's good to 30 watts total load.

The Swiftech PWM 8-way splitter hub is only for PWM fans. It splits the PWM signal from motherboard to it's 8 fan headers with constant 12v power from PSU going to each fan. It may power 32 Helix 120s, but as they are 3-pin variable voltage fans they will all run at full speed all the time.

Also I have never seen or heard of a motherboard with enough PWM signal to be split and used by more than 8-12 fans max. Some have a hard time with 5 or 6 PWM fans.

The Helix 120s have a PWM version though.

As for the signal strength, yeah I don't know. I know I have the power for 20+ fans.

The Swiftech splitter has an amplifier for the PWM signal built in.

The Swiftech splitter has an amplifier for the PWM signal built in.

Could you supply me a link to source of amplified signal info? I've had mine open and the PCB only has power and signal traces. Only components are the fan headers. Swiftech calls it an 8 Way PWM Splitter with no mention about amplified PWM signal. At least none I'm seeing.

Could you supply me a link to source of amplified signal info? I've had mine open and the PCB only has power and signal traces. Only components are the fan headers. Swiftech calls it an 8 Way PWM Splitter with no mention about amplified PWM signal. At least none I'm seeing.

I could have sworn I read that it was amplified the other day, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, I've heard of no issues overloading the PWM signal with it.
Other than using Corsair's PWM fans, because they don't have a built-in signal booster in the fan (like almost every other PWM fan these days).

I could have sworn I read that it was amplified the other day, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, I've heard of no issues overloading the PWM signal with it.
Other than using Corsair's PWM fans, because they don't have a built-in signal booster in the fan (like almost every other PWM fan these days).
I've not heard of any problem other than the Corsairs either, but that's 8 fans, not 30. :D My experiecen is 8 is rarely a problem, but 10 - 12 fan using PWM from a single PWM motherboard header is pushing it .. and sometimes some fans will not be controlled properly.

I've seen several threads about making a PWM amplifier.

I've not heard of any problem other than the Corsairs either, but that's 8 fans, not 30. :D My experiecen is 8 is rarely a problem, but 10 - 12 fan using PWM from a single PWM motherboard header is pushing it .. and sometimes some fans will not be controlled properly.

I've seen several threads about making a PWM amplifier.

IIRC there's a thread on Swiftech's website where they chained 3 of their splitters and filled them with their Helix PWM fans without issue.

IIRC there's a thread on Swiftech's website where they chained 3 of their splitters and filled them with their Helix PWM fans without issue.
That is a lot of fans on one signal .. way more than motherboard PWM headers are designed to handle. Signal strength varies from motherboard to motherboards too.

That is a lot of fans on one signal .. way more than motherboard PWM headers are designed to handle. Signal strength varies from motherboard to motherboards too.

It is, but I'm not surprised it's possible with the right fans.
Variation from board to board is definitely a big deal. That said, I would expect any mid- or high- range board to be able to replicate their results.

Back