• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for overclocking my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Jingles

Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm new on this forum and want to learn some overclocking stuff, the told me this is the right place to begin.

The system i want to overclock, if it can, is not the newest but i think it can be done.

My system:

• Intel I7 950 @ 3.07GHz.....idle temp is 45c
    Asrock extreme 3.....idle temp is 30c
    6,00 GB Triple Channel @ 669MHz (9-9-9-21) brand ocz gold
    MSI Geforce GTX 660 Ti (2047Mb)....idle temp 26c
    Adata sp900 SSD drive......idle temp 26c

I don't have the stock cooler on my cpu but a : arctic freezer Xtreme

Can you guys help me to overclock this system.

Thank you,

Mr.Jingles

Before i go to overclock my system i've discover another problem.
I tried to run the program 'prime95', and it did, but with a temp of 95c.

My system is dust free and the coolingpasta for the cpu is brand new.
All of my fans are working so what can be the problem?

The arctic freezer Xtreme, should be up to the task of at least a mild OC. What are your ambient temperatures, what case and how many fans? Exactly what temperature went to 95c?

The brand of the desktopcase is, Antec.
On the back i have a fan blowing out, one 12inch on the top blowing inside and a 12inch on the side blowing inside.

So all together i have 3 casefans, 1 artic freezer on the processor and 2 on the videocard.

I have a program called, Piriform Speccy to see the temps of all components. When i run the prime 95 the temp of the processor hits the 95c
When it's idl it is 42c

Antec................ which model? They have dozens... :)

Case airflow sounds messed up....

front/sides = intake
top/rear = exhaust

It sounds like you have zero or one exhaust only...

Also note, a "case fan" mounts to the case. the fan on your CPU cooler and the video cards are not case fans.

What does Realtemp say temperatures are (just to confirm as I never heard that program before).

Showing me a picture of the software isn't going to help anything. I'm sure its fine, but please confirm with Realtemp or Coretemp, your temperatures. I fthey are the same, and they likely will be, you need to look at your case airflow... and again list the actual case so we can better help.

On the front are no fans, only on the top, back and side.

So cold air is blowing in on the top and side, and on the back it's going out.

There should be two fans there for intake...your airflow is a bit messed up as I said. :)

Again... front/sides = intake, top/rear =exhaust. Make that happen and your temps should improve.

This is what the case came with: Cooling System:
2 Front 120 x 25mm TriCool™ Blue LED Fan with 3-speed switch control.
1 Rear 120 x 25mm TriCool™ Fan with 3-speed switch control.
1 Top 140 x 25mm TriCooltrade; Blue LED Fan with 3-speed switch

Your best bet to start is to put the side fan in front as an intake then have the top and rear fan as exhaust.

Ok, i will do what you ask, i hope it's gonna be better.
All blowers are at 100% running and it's sounds like a airplane going on full speed.
I did a prime 95 test again for 2 minutes and i shut it down because the temps are not normal, made a picture of it.
hot.PNG

You can try removing the side panel of the case and re running prime if the temps drop then you know you need to get better airflow through the case. As is you do not have any headroom for overclocking. What are the ambient temps in the room?

Airflow concerns aside... I have to think that the cooler isn't mounted properly. Even with that airflow, I can't imagine at stock speeds you should be hitting those temperatures anyway...

I have to think that the cooler isn't mounted properly. Even with that airflow, I can't imagine at stock speeds you should be hitting those temperatures anyway...
I'm thinking the same ED.

Back