• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE EVGA GTX 970 FTW Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

We've recently reviewed several NVIDIA GTX 980 based graphics cards here at Overclockers, and we came away impressed with their low power consumption, great performance, and "bang-for-the-buck" pricing. Today, we're going to drop it down a notch and have a look at our first GTX 970. More specifically, the EVGA GTX 970 FTW. The factory overclock EVGA applied to the GTX 970 FTW is one of the highest we've ever seen, which leads us to believe EVGA is extremely confident in the headroom that's available on these Maxwell 2 GPUs.
Click here to view the article.

Been waiting to see one of these (970's) on the front page.

Nice review! (sorry I didn't get a chance to get its second edit in this weekend)

What I find unusual is that big empty patch on the end of the card. Is that to give clearance for the fan on the reference cooler style version?

No, the reference design PCB is much shorter. The reference cards use a bracket that hangs off the end of the card to mount the cooler's back end to.
Here is an example...
GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GTX-760.jpg

What I find unusual is that big empty patch on the end of the card. Is that to give clearance for the fan on the reference cooler style version?

Look at the back of the PCB, it isn't blank on both sides.

No, the reference design PCB is much shorter. The reference cards use a bracket that hangs off the end of the card to mount the cooler's back end to.
Here is an example...
View attachment 156338

Reminds me of my GTX 670 reference. On the review, Lvcoyote very nice, it just reiterates how good these cards are for the money.

Back