• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Pc, lots of hesitation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright so I concluded to something that might look like my final build:

i5 4690k
Maximus VII impact
Gainward gtx 970
Bitfenix Prodigy or Prodigy M (would like an opinion on that)
840 EVO 120gb

Already got:
PSU - CM 1000W silent
2x4gb Geil Black Dragon

It's unlikely to have any compatibility issues with my mobo - ram combo right? What do u think about the case? Since i'm planning future custom loop, a 240mm rad for two blocks fits in there. Don't think I need more than a 240mm am I?

120GB is not enough storage. Add a 1TB HDD.
Looks like a good setup. There are better ITX cases than the prodigy. Hadron, 250D, Air 240... Air 240 is especially appealing because you can have 2 fans in floor 2 fans in front and 2 fans in top and in that tiny space that is a TON of air flow. Nice cool parts.

120GB is not enough storage. Add a 1TB HDD.
Looks like a good setup. There are better ITX cases than the prodigy. Hadron, 250D, Air 240... Air 240 is especially appealing because you can have 2 fans in floor 2 fans in front and 2 fans in top and in that tiny space that is a TON of air flow. Nice cool parts.

I already got a 1,5TB WD Green, so it's fine space wise.I'll be checking on the air 240. I switch to EVO cause I'm currently running an OCZ agility 3.. Pretty old and pretty crappy I'd say. Another question is, Impact has those EXT ROG pins on it like Formula and the rest of the ROG series, doesn't it?

I dont know what pins you are referring to can you be more specific? Looking at a blown up picture of the board in Google would probably answer your question if you know what you're looking for.

I dont know what pins you are referring to can you be more specific? Looking at a blown up picture of the board in Google would probably answer your question if you know what you're looking for.
Well, in Formula, there is an interface called EXT ROG on the bottom side of the mobo.. It's supposed to let you connect a laptop or something and OC and take statistics of ur machinr on-the-fly. Since it's a ROG feature and Impact is a ROG series mobo, it
Would logically include it, wouldn't it?

Well, in Formula, there is an interface called EXT ROG on the bottom side of the mobo.. It's supposed to let you connect a laptop or something and OC and take statistics of ur machinr on-the-fly. Since it's a ROG feature and Impact is a ROG series mobo, it
Would logically include it, wouldn't it?

You can do that via a USB cable with most ROG motherboards. YOu dont need to use any pin out on the board. Just hook a laptop up to the ROG connect port on the back of the machine.

I never found any use for the feature personally but its nifty.

You can do that via a USB cable with most ROG motherboards. YOu dont need to use any pin out on the board. Just hook a laptop up to the ROG connect port on the back of the machine.

I never found any use for the feature personally but its nifty.
Yea it is.. I'll just be experimenting with it.. I'm considering getting the Air 240 and toss some Noiseblockers in there, not quite sure yet coz I REALLY like Prodigy.. :(

Prodigy is an inefficient use of space dude. It's just a bad design. And IMO it looks like a toy. Air 240 looks like a proper piece of kit.
Seems for less bucks I can have a Thermaltake Core v1.. It's half the price of the Air 240 and the only downside is that it doesnt have a drive bay (don't really care) and it doesn't come to any other colour than black.. What do u think?

I hate thermaltake products. That's all Im gonna say. Corsair will give you an infinitely superior building experience. So will Silverstone in something like a Raven SFF or an FT03.

I think the best, and most compact ITX case is the EVGA hadron. It comes with a 500W gold rated PSU and yes it is replacable. Also has a kickass window and is beautiful. Cant beat it for LAN parties as it is so tiny and easy to throw under one arm and carry around.

Last edited:
I hate thermaltake products. That's all Im gonna say. Corsair will give you an infinitely superior building experience. So will Silverstone in something like a Raven SFF or an FT03.

I think the best, and most compact ITX case is the EVGA hadron. It comes with a 500W gold rated PSU and yes it is replacable. Also has a kickass window and is beautiful. Cant beat it for LAN parties as it is so tiny and easy to throw under one arm and carry around.

Yea that's true. But it all comes down to personal taste after all :p So, I've sold most of the parts of my old rig and I'm currently running on an i7 950 and a Palit GTx 550ti, which makes me wanna puke. It serves my needs though for now. I'll be ordering the mobo in the end of the month most probably. Now, as far as the GPU concerns, should I go for:

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/5584802/Palit-GeForce-GTX970-4GB-NE5X970014G2F.html

or

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/5685316/Gainward-GeForce-GTX970-4GB-3354.html

Exactly the same card. If there are clock differences just OC the thing. It's easy.
I'd look at a card with an aftermarket cooler personally like Strix, Windforce, etc.

Exactly the same card. If there are clock differences just OC the thing. It's easy.
I'd look at a card with an aftermarket cooler personally like Strix, Windforce, etc.

I'll be watercooling later on and I REAALLLYY love XSPC blocks, so I took a look at the GPU compatibility list and both of those cards are compatible with the GTX 670 block. I was only wondering if one of them is quality-wise superior from the other.

I'll be watercooling later on and I REAALLLYY love XSPC blocks, so I took a look at the GPU compatibility list and both of those cards are compatible with the GTX 670 block. I was only wondering if one of them is quality-wise superior from the other.

You'd have to google naked PCB's of those cards and see who is using more/better power phases etc. My guess is they're both similar. If you really want OC headroom I'd pick up a card with a binned chip like the 970 G1 gaming by Gigabyte. Or an EVGA FTW or a Galax HOF.

You'd have to google naked PCB's of those cards and see who is using more/better power phases etc. My guess is they're both similar. If you really want OC headroom I'd pick up a card with a binned chip like the 970 G1 gaming by Gigabyte. Or an EVGA FTW or a Galax HOF.

Well, the reference models are not compatible with the waterblocks so, I'll stick with the Palit or the Gainward 970... They both have good power phases so I don't think I'll have any restrictions in OC'ing.

RE, the pins mentioned in post #45, that is ROG connect, if your not going extreme cold or extreme benching ignore it completely, it let you clock your extreme rig from a lap top and very few people will ever have a use of it.

RE, the pins mentioned in post #45, that is ROG connect, if your not going extreme cold or extreme benching ignore it completely, it let you clock your extreme rig from a lap top and very few people will ever have a use of it.

Well I might be experimenting with it a lil bit when I install my loop. A tricky question, have u ever seen a custom loop in a Node 304? :p

EDIT: Question #2: I'm about to order my SSD and I'm to choose one so I could use the advise! Plextor M6 Pro, Seagate 600 or 840 EVO?

Last edited:
Well I might be experimenting with it a lil bit when I install my loop. A tricky question, have u ever seen a custom loop in a Node 304? :p

EDIT: Question #2: I'm about to order my SSD and I'm to choose one so I could use the advise! Plextor M6 Pro, Seagate 600 or 840 EVO?

Intel 530/730, Samsung 840 EVO/850 Pro, Crucial M550/MX100 would be my picks for good SSDs. I did put a Corsair Force LS in my mom's computer because it was cheap and it's pretty decent but I would never use one myself.

Back