• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best TN monitor?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabby1019

Registered
So I'm looking for a gaming monitor that's a good price. I'm looking at a TN because it's good for FPS games and such.

You need to be more specific.

What size, resolution, and budget

He's asking for TN (the cheapest kind) so I assume he's only looking at low end monitors. Best Buy will have a $200 50" 1080p Panasonic on Black Friday.

For reference, the general rule for display panels is IPS > MVA >> TN. It used to be that IPS was slow and not good for gaming, but it seems like that's no longer the case. MVA is considered to be a good compromise with overall image quality approaching that of IPS but at a much lower price.

Firstly I'm a girl and it doesn't have to be cheap. I want a really nice one for gaming....good with a lot of FPS gaming

I forgot to mention, Gabby, that IPS will have more accurate colors for your photo editing work. It might be worth going IPS. 5ms response time really isn't bad.
You should also mention what resolution you want. You're getting a 970 so you can game comfortably at either 1080P or 1440P. It's up to you.

At 1440P images will be crisper and sharper at the cost of a few frames per second.

Also consider the Seiki 4K if you want more desktop space for other uses. It can be downshifted to 1080p120 for gaming and it has a MVA panel, despite the low price.

If it's just for gaming, a 1440p display would probably make more sense.

Yea, I do a lot of photoshop woek and editing, but I really enjoy games and I want a leg up in my gaming more then in my photoshop

Yea, I do a lot of photoshop woek and editing, but I really enjoy games and I want a leg up in my gaming more then in my photoshop

You'll never have any issues with gaming on a good IPS.
My triple U2414H monitors are IPS panels and they perform flawlessly for gaming.

Having owned both TN and IPS monitors, go IPS for your usage mixture.

Agreed on an IPS, the better color accuracy and such would be the right choice for the work that you do.

That 144Hz asus is the same monitor I suggested to the OP earlier in a private convo. It's a good choice for gaming methinks. If you really want that photoshop color accuracy it's worth shelling out for a second, IPS panel. 144Hz 1ms is nice and fast though. No doubt you'll be pwning noobs all over the place.

Back