• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No one offers DSL anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I currently have Comcast and called to have my plan reduced from TV+Phone+Internet which cost me $163/month to just Internet... Apparently internet will cost me ~$120 a month for the 25mb service I was looking to get it down under $100. Comcast is the only cable provider in our area so I called both Verizon and Frontier about DSL, which I was informed by both that DSL is not available in my area. The house is 18 months old and the development is 3 years old so it isn't an issue of old lines. To make matters worse my sister in-law informed me they just got DSL through Verizon and they live 1/4 mile away.

Whats the deal?

I really would like to kick Comcast to the curb but I don't want a satellite dish, do you guys know of any alternatives?

A huge part of why cable companies and the like can take advantage of us is because there is little regulation and infrastructure to support internet as a commodity nationwide. Because of this, different parts of the country, state, county, city, and even neighborhood can have vastly different services offered. We still have DSL offered around here through AT&T, but the highest they offer is 6 down 756k up, and it costs as much as an 8/1 cable plan. The only cable provider we have is a local company that has a contract with our city so that no other cable providers are allowed to compete.

Pretty much, you just have to make due with the hand you were dealt. There's no way some ISP is going to invest to stretch their service a street over just to pick up a couple potential customers.

I've heard good things about DSL Extreme. They are a reseller, but if DSL is physically available in your area, they should be able to get it for you.

Fios is also not available in my area.

So after researching it seams that the local government has "forced" comcast into a legal monopoly.

This would be much easier to swallow if comcast would list actual prices for their services. Having to call in to get the "real" price makes me feel like I am getting :censored:

Is gaming on satellite as bad as it used to be (high pings)?

I live in a rural area, so DSL or dial-up is my only options. Have Verizon DSL @2800kbs and am lucky to get that, as I'm 3 1/2 miles from the CO. If you are too far from the CO you won't be able to get DSL.

http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo

Edit: the up-side is that my DSL is abt $25/mo. I can stream video O.K. but probably not BR quality.

i remember verizon had this thing where they would setup a router/modem combo that would deliever 4G LTE internet and would use this antenna that was mounted outside of your home. it was for customers that could not get cable or DSL internet. i think this is the one.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/lte-internet-installed/

That looks like what they offered me, a couple years ago. Looks like there would be data cap limits. My DSL has no caps on data...that I'm aware of.

Verizon doesn't want to invest much in the existing copper-wire infastructure anymore.

Back