• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nov 30th, I get a 980. Help me pick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Hey folks. I'm getting an X99, dual 980 system next year so I thought I'd buy a 980 now (so I can enjoy it) while saving for the rest of my system.

My final build will be in a Corsair 760T with 2 980s, a 5820K at (let's say 4.4Ghz?) with a 280mm AIO cooler. Given the amount of airflow in that case I was thinking I

should go with 2 reference style cards with the blower fans. These will make more noise and run hotter and have less OC headroom but I think it'll keep my overal temps down in the case.

If you guys think I can get away with non reference cards, I was thinking of either the Strix or the G1, and would appreciate thoughts.

Just say no to reference cards, never bought one I have not regretted.

Strix is the one I would buy, however the 980Ti will be here soon enough and may want to wait it out

Just say no to reference cards, never bought one I have not regretted.

Strix is the one I would buy, however the 980Ti will be here soon enough and may want to wait it out

980Ti will be outside my budget range when it launches.

I realize ref cards are ugly (usually) and loud and thermally inefficient but I dont want all that heat leaking into my case.

I am leaning t0wards strix too... but dat heat...

not as much heat as your average video card. they are wat almost half the wattage of the average flagship gpu?

165w card TOCNoob... Two of them is like a single overclocked 290x. Get a better card than reference. ;)

Love it. Read the review on the front page. ;)

Also love the galaxy I reviewed. Also found on the front page. ;)

Ok I ordered the Strix off Newegg just now it's on its way. So, how do I redeem the free game? I get 1 free Ubisoft game of my choice but I couldn't see how to get the game after my order was complete??

Help plz?

Sadly, newegg declined all my credit cards, so I will be buying the GPU in store tomorrow.
Unfortunately they ONLY have reference cards in stock, so I shall get one. Honestly I love the look of the ref cards.

Back