• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notepad with Spell Checker already added in!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
So... this is the initial version of Notepad with Spell Checker already added in.

This is a continuation from Notepad++ discussion here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...epad-Review-Spell-Checker-for-Windows-Notepad

Great job Beta4K!

Test this and post feedback please: [EDIT: now waiting for next versions to be ready, see post #2 in this thread for Setup file.]

First of all, this is excellent work for the initial version.
If you look at Notepad++, it is on version 6.6.9 and it was a long process to get it working as it should be, other software too requires a long development period before even the basic bugs are ironed out! ;-)

So let's make this the best Notepad alternative which everyone would want to install even if they have word processing software installed because professional word processing software is overkill for what people sometimes want and that is to just quickly create simple text files which can be read on multiple platforms, multiple programs.

001. You did say that there is a lag because of the Spell Checker. It is only really evident when a large file is opened in.... what is the name... SimplePad or Notebook? [How about Spellpad or something in the name that would guide people to realizing it is a simple Notepad with a Spell Checker built in? Obviously so many possibilities and suggestions...]

But anyway, I guess we need to figure out how to make Spellpad not lag when opening an identical (large) text file?

EDIT: Lag fixed.

Name SpellPad is initial name. Considering SpellNote, SpellNotepad - name issue can be addressed just before the program exits Beta phase. Maybe Spellpad.

002. The iconography of the Setup Process makes it look like it is connecting to some sort of a server and downloading files from it... is the Setup file doing that, can it be installed offline? If yes, I think people don't like Setup files that require internet connection, these types of small simple programs are best installed off line, because people don't know if the program is legitimate so any downloading from servers *after* the program is installed or suggestion of it, makes people uneasy ;)

So the graphics of the Setup process should not depict downloading from external servers (just a suggestion ;))

EDIT: Completely Fixed.

003. The Status Bar at the bottom should be optional, CHECK an option to activate it and UNCHECK to have it disappear.

004. Program icons. Can you incorporate this set into the program?
View attachment NotepadIcons.zip

EDIT: Done. Great job.

Spelling has evolved so much that I crossed out the Spelling comments below.
Spelling now has an excellent working base which only may need slight adjustments.

a. Settings > Edit Current Dictionary > Add From > Maybe have Custom File (*.*) be default file type here. EDIT: Completely Fixed.

b. Maybe change the term 'Add From' to 'Import Dictionary' and add 'Export Dictionary' button here. EDIT: Completely Fixed.

c. Maybe move Manage Dictionary to the Drop down menu so that at the top of the drop down menu it would say [Manage Dictionaries]. EDIT: Adjusted to the side instead and looks better now!

d. Maybe get rid of File and Tools menus and maybe have Manage Dictionaries window have three buttons:
New Dictionary Edit Dictionary Delete Dictionary EDIT: Completely Fixed. Great Job!

EDIT: OLD Spelling comments:
Spelling is the most important feature of this program. The general idea would be to have one single personal custom dictionary file. Then to have Spellpad use that file, but also to have other major programs use it by simply setting the location of custom dictionary file. The actual name of the Custom Dictionary file should be fully customizable.

Notice how Word 2007/2010/2013 does it > File > Options
[or Office symbol in the upper left corner > Word Options (lower right)]
> Proofing > Custom Dictionaries… button >

CustomDictionary2013.png

But I prefer how Word 2003 does it:
Word 2003 > Tools > Options > Spelling and Grammar TAB > Custom Dictionaries... button >

CustomDictionary2003.png

Try to study the way this was done there as a starting point.
The reason I prefer how Word 2003 does it is that.
A. Full path is actually give as C:\Custom Folder Location\CustomDictionary.txt instead of just C:\Custom Folder Location\ as Word 2013 does it.
B. The extension can be anything - it's best when it is a .txt file for easiest quick editing so in Word 2003 it is CustomDictionary.txt but in Word 2013, it has to be CustomDictionary.dic

So the objective is to use ANY location of ANY file name [as long as the actual file name is a text file containing custom spelling words of course].

EDIT: Further explanation of the Custom Dictionary function:

For example: If you type in the word like 'precessional' - you may see it red underlined, even though it is a real word, as in: "The time required for the sun to shift three hundred and sixty degrees along the ecliptic, thus fulfilling one complete precessional cycle, is 25,776 years."

So you right click on the word precessional and then you see a right-click menu option: Add "precessional" to Dictionary. If you select to add it, the word is stored in a simple text file, a custom dictionary file, which stores custom words then no longer show up as misspelled.

The name of the custom dictionary can be anything but it would be ideal if the name of the dictionary file *LITERALLY* could be anything so that users can set the exiting Microsoft Word custom dictionary file (for example) as Spellpad's custom dictionary file. So if MS Word uses this simple text file as its custom dictionary file C:\Custom Folder\Word Dictionary.dic then Spellpad would use it too, making it unnecessary to synchronize two custom dictionary files. Those files, by the way, simply contain one word per line:
FourthDictionaryWordExample
precessional
SecondDictionaryWordExample
ThirdDictionaryWordExample

Notice how they are arranged alphabetically - that's how programs automatically arrange them as they are being added.

EDIT: Still working on this and here is additional info:

It would work just like Microsoft Word. Additional Dictionary so that it can be used in addition to main dictionary.
Word has a separate main dictionary so that when it says (default) above it means DEFAULT ADDITIONAL dictionary not default one and only main dictionary. So it is a custom location so that Spellpad users can simply point to already existing custom located Microsoft Word (for example) dictionary. Rather than importing/exporting.

So here are the main points of thinking about that (nothing to do with you or me, just how organized computer using should go:)

1. For operating system drive imaging purposes, custom files like that are/should *always* be located in a custom, easy to backup location, not affected by Windows partition reimaging.

2. Central location for a Custom Dictionary file for ALL programs should be established. They should ALL be using a single file (regularly backed up) so that when you add a custom word in Microsoft Work, it is picked up by Spellpad becasue Spellpad uses the same exact file as a Custom Dictionary so you don;t have to synchronize them. It would be logical for people to already have use of Microsoft Word custom dictionary but they can use other custom dictionary files like from Firefox or other software.

Study the workings of Microsoft Word custom dictionary adding/removing/custom location:
Word 2007/2010/2013 does it > File > Options
[or Office symbol in the upper left corner > Word Options (lower right)]
> Proofing > Custom Dictionaries… button >

or the way this works is preferable to me:
Word 2003 > Tools > Options > Spelling and Grammar TAB > Custom Dictionaries... button

006. Can this color be used as Background default "paper" color, "Default Pad Colour", rather than white?

Color.png

Is it only possible to have main colors as defaults? I actually have this color system wide in registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
"Window"="255 243 215"

I have a lot more to say but Great job on initial version! ;)

007. Default installation option should probably be 'Everyone' instead of 'Just Me.'
• Installation directory is ...:\Program Files (x86)\Spellpad\Spellpad\
Change that to: :\Program Files (x86)\Spellpad\
• Get rid of "Disk Cost..."
• Change
To install in this folder, click "Next". To install to a different folder, enter it below or click "Browse".
to
To install in this folder, click on "Next". To install to a different folder, enter it below or click on "Browse...".
SpellPadInstall.jpg

008. Settings must be on their own - not as a subsection of Help.

It makes sense for us, but we need to think of our computer illiterate friends and cousins - it is more intuitive for them to have Settings option placed as File Edit Format Settings Help
So move the word Settings between Format and Help.

009. The program currently does not install under Windows XP. It would be crucial to make the program work under Windows XP and not just Vista/7/8/10. Windows XP will continue to exist on a huge percentage of world's computers. Its users ARE the target audience for this program. Windows XP will continue to be updated with security patches until 2019 [at least].

010. Version numbers for two initial versions of the program should be changed 0.01 Beta and 0.02 Beta. Next version should be 0.03 Beta. Save version 1.00 number for Final Release ;)
This has not been fixed yet. Next version number should be 0.04 Beta

011. Edit >
Find...
Find Next
Replace...

is missing and should be added. This is an important program feature that should be added as soon as possible.

012. Format > Word Wrap should be CHECKED by default.

013. Consider including the Reset Default Font button in case someone messes with font and forgets what the default font was.

014. Consider changing:
"You have made changes to the document. Would you like to save?"
to
"Would you like to save changes you made to this document?"

This is almost irrelevant, I just felt that "Would you like to save changes you made to this document?" was smoother and more easy going, especially on non-computer literate people. ;)

015. Settings is missing both Apply and Save buttons, which should be added:

SpellPadSettings.png

I have a lot more to say, but let's address the above posted issues first ;)

016. The installer should end by having a CHECK BOX that should be CHECKED saying "Open Spellpad now."
EDIT: The checkbox option is now there but it is UNCHECKED by default. I would have it CHECKED by default because more than 50% (majority) of users will choose to start the program after installation completes.

017. Font... option should be added under Format (it's OK for it to be also in Settings.) This is because Font is extremely hard to find in many other Notepad-like third party programs.

018. Undo spacing is messed up on computers with 120% Custom sizing options:

UndoSpacing.png CustomSizing.png

019. Consider having the initial size of the window be slightly larger, maybe 1024 x 600 or 800 x 600.

020. Shortcut Properties > both Open file location and Change icon are grayed out... They should not be.

021. File > Save As... should open the location of the folder of the currently saved file by default.

022. What should the default Font size be? This is a topic that different people will have different opinions on... I personally set it to 14 but this topic may be subjective.

I know that the default size is regularly way too small. It may not be too small on other devices, but on PCs, given the program's purpose, I like it to be larger personally. I set it to 14.

Microsoft Sans Serif is a beautiful default font. I do not know why selecting Microsoft Sans Serif on Notepad++ looks really bad there but looks beautiful on Spellpad... I would rather spend time and energy perfecting this program than posting yet another thread on Notepad++ forum... so I am really looking forward to getting rid of Notepad++ for daily use and replacing it with Spellpad ;) Can't wait.

EDIT: Font size appears to be the same as in previous versions even though it has been set to 14. Increasing it bigger than 14, increases the font size. In other words, the starting size appears to be the same as before. The font size numbers appear not to correspond to what they were before...

Font and Font size is set to be the same, but it is incorrectly displayed smaller in Spellpad (also note that Spellpad does not display the Degree sign.)

FontSize&DegreeSign.png

023. Use the word 'on' as in 'Click on.'

So Uninstaller should have click 'on Next.' Click 'on Back.' Click 'on Finish.'
Installer should have click on Next.
Click on Next.
Click on Change...
Click on Install.

EDIT: This is Grammar nitpicking... not really that relevant.

024. File > Open > Should have this working function at the bottom: Clear Recent Files List
EDIT: This function now exists. But the grammar of the prompt needs to be checked although it might be better to just have the List cleared without a prompt of any kind since it is self explanatory... Although maybe make 'Clear Recents' more understandable, maybe "Clear Recently Opened File List' (not that important really).

025. Under Format, have this working function:

Case.jpg

EDIT: Look into the English grammar of Format > Text Casing
It may be more grammatically correct to say Convert Case to UPPERCASE then Text Casing to UPPERCASE

026. Settings > Clicking on Save Changes should save then exit the Settings Menu.

027. Update Window should be adjusted to the buttons are clearer on 120% DPI:

UpdateWindow.png

028. Grammar:
Maybe get rid of 'you' in "Would you like to save changes you made to this document?"
so it says "Would you like to save changes made to this document?"

029. Is there any way to get Spellpad to display the degree sign like Microsoft Notepad Can? Here's a sample text file with degree sign in it:
View attachment Degree.txt

030. When you are asked to save changes, YES | NO | Cancel -- Clicking on Cancel should return you to unsaved Spellpad session, not exit the program. [Standard Notepad behavior.]

031. The program should also immediately display program version as soon as you double click on Setup.exe.

032. Spellpad Setup.exe file should have version number embedded in it so that when you click on the the .exe file its version is displayed in Windows status bar and also in its properties.
Product version is 0.07 [correct] but File Version should be 0.07 to be correctly displayed as 0.07 in Windows Status Bar.
Also remove Acresso Software information.

FileVersion.png

033. Format > Font > Save Changes does not permanently save changes, once program closes, they are lost.
Apply Changes works however.
As you know, the purpose of Apply Changes is so you can quickly see the effects there and then, change them if you wish, Apply, see them there & then again.
As you know, the purpose of Save Changes is to just Save and exit the menu, without wanting to make any other changes.

034. I looked at the overall big picture of what the program does and it seems like it is missing a major feature: Replace. It should be able to Find and Replace a specific word.

035. This worked before but as of version 0.06 when I allow the program to save the update file, it does not apply it, instead I get this error:

UpdateDoesn'tWork.png

Manually applying it works though.

EDIT: This feature in version 0.08 will be tested when version 0.09 comes out.... Although current version should display a confirmation that latest version is installed. Perhaps as:
"The latest version 0.08 Beta is already installed."
or
"The latest version 0.08 Beta as of [today's date] is already installed."
in other words: "The latest version 0.08 Beta as of December 2, 2014 is already installed."
[/COLOR]

036. Find and Find and Replace need to be unified (Perhaps in separate tabs) but CTRL+F needs to bring up both, like this for example:

MSWordFindAndReplace.png

037. The Pad color is strong yellow, it needs to be reverted as it was in versions prior to 0.08 Beta, softer color listed in bug report 006 above.

038. Icons could wait until other things are fixed but if you have time to dive into that now that's fine:

a. Icons should be optional so insert Icons in between Format > Word Wrap and Status Bar so they can be turned on/off, if possible.
b. Icon order (as far as currently available icons go) should be: New Document | Open... Save Save As... | Cut Paste Copy | Find Replace

039. Program should remember last used window size.

040. Here's a Royalty Free icon that might used as the Setup.exe file picture:

View attachment RoyaltyFreeIcons.zip

EDIT: Was an impulse suggestion which might detract from the professional look of the program. ;)

041. Possibly complicated future feature if possible, Insert File.
It inserts an exiting file into where the cursor is in the current file (very useful for combining files).
EDIT: Insert File feature is too complicated and unnecessary for a Notepad program... Since it's just text, people can always just copy-paste, we shouldn't complicate the program, I think it's really good where it is now for version 1.

042. DPI Problem needs to be fixed:

DPIProblem.png

EDIT: Almost fixed, just a little bit more: ;)

DPI-LittleMore.png

043. CTRL+F then entering a word then pressing ENTER doesn't work. ENTER should execute the command.

044. EDIT: Might be unnecessary. Can you experiment with either making the Quickbar icons slightly larger or making an option where they can stay current size but switchable to Large through a Checkbox like in MS Word:

LargeIcons.jpg

045. Find doesn't seem to recognize the ; symbol. So if trying to find the term test; the program would find all words ending with test instead of ending with test;

046. Spellpad is not opening the © symbol correctly from this test text file:

View attachment c.txt

047. Can you maybe change all Menu entries from SpellPad to Spellpad so they are consistent?
...and can you test to see if either one of these icons would be less confusing as a Save As... large icons:

SaveAs1.png SaveAs2.png

048. Maybe just put a break | between Open | Save menu icons?

049. What do you think about leaving Font under Format where it is but *also* including it in
Settings > Other > either above where it says Colours or to the right of where it says Colours?

EDIT: Completely Fixed. Beautifully done.

050. Interesting Bug: When Spellpad is installed and I double click on Spellpad.exe, the Save and Save As icons work.

But if in Windows 8 I right click on a .txt file > Open with... > Choose default program > CHECK: Use this app for all .txt files > More options > scroll all the way down > Look for another app on this PC > Browse to Spellpad.exe > Open.

Now that Spellpad is set as the default program for txt files... the Save and Save As icons no longer work.

I replicated this bug in Windows XP too.

051. All the DPI problems mentioned above are now fixed. Here's one that was not mentioned, just move the % downloaded a little bit::

UpdateWindow.png

052. Change setup file name to Spellpad Setup.exe.

053. Clicking on X to exit then on Yes to save the file should result in program Exiting completely.

054. Save icon should turn from color to grayscale after the file is saved. It should turn back to color immediately after new characters are typed in - indicating that changes have not been saved.
Color icon - changes have not been saved yet.
Grayscale icon - existing work has been saved.

055. Search function should only search for entered text. Search term
screens
for me was hitting all words that have
screen
in their name.

So search for screens was hitting screen and it shouldn't be. It should only hit screens.

056. The grayscale on Save should be triggered by a Save As function as well. In other words Save As should permanently stay in color but Save should go to grayscale after *either* Save or Save As icon is pressed.

057. IDEA: Select a word or phrase, right click on it and then have a right click menu option for Search Google for "selected word" and it launches Google and displays the search result of the selected word or phrase.

EDIT: Implemented.

058. Can you insert the word 'for' as in Search for "word" instead of Search "word"... What does define do? Is that a dictionary Search? Firefox uses http://www.tfd.com so maybe Define could bring that web site, unless a better dictionary web site exists? See screen shot of Firefox:

Search&Dictionary.png

059. If opening a file buried deep inside multiple directories, its name is not displayed correctly:

LongNames.png

EDIT: Completely Fixed by removing old Beta versions information:
Go to the Registry Editor > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\open\command. There should be a '(Default)' REG_EXPAND_SZ. If it's not: %SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1 then double click on the key and add this: %SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1

now press WINDOWS KEY + R, type in '%localappdata%', look for the Spellpad folder and delete it. Then go to the "Roaming" folder and delete the Spellpad folder (make sure to backup any custom dictionaries if you have any).

Uninstall the latest version and reinstall and now set Spellpad as "default program" for .txt files and now open a text file and see if the weird name glitch on the top goes away.

060. When minimizing very large text files containing 200,000 characters, the program gets "stuck" and needs time to "recover".

061. Why not incorporate new icon into the Spellpad Setup.exe file, as an icon for the actual setup file...
But I hope Notepad icons can be kept longer for Spellpad.exe if you don't mind... But the actual Spellpad Setup.exe file should display the new icon.

062. Bug 053. is back: Clicking on X to exit then on Yes to save the file should result in program Exiting completely.

So Open existing txt file in Microsoft Notepad > X to exit > It prompts you to save > If you accept to Save changes MS Notepad will save changes THEN EXIT.
Spellpad does not exit. It should exit.

063. Edit > Time an Date > should have
December 17, 2014
Probably as the first item on top as it is in most frequent use in the United States.

The rest of the dates should be rearranged in order of importance.
This is subjective however. Open to discussion. Possibly make it short and simple?

December 16, 2014
23:58 [or 11:58 p. m.]
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
December 16

This has been fixed.
Minor display suggestion: The 24h display is correct, for example 01:13 but the 12h display should not have a zero in front so change 01:13 AM to 1:13 AM.

064. Add just the day of the week as the last option under Edit > Time and Date. So the last option would only display Monday for example.

065. Manage Dictionaries needs a quick DPI fix:

Manage Dictionaries01.png

EDIT: Just a pixel back where it was and it would be perfect:

Manage Dictionaries02.png

066. Dual monitor configuration bug.
Basically the program shows up in the Task Bar but is nowhere to be seen.
I've caught Spellpad window randomly minimizing itself to its smallest point.

This cannot be fixed with uninstall/reinstall. Only if you nuke Windows partition and with it a specific file.

So I found the problem file: user.config
C:\Users\... \AppData\Local\Spellpad\Spellpad.exe_Url_[random numbers and letters]... \ 0.0.0.19\user.config

Problem line inside user.config is

<setting name="s_wLocation" serializeAs="String">
<value>-32000#-32000</value>

Prompting users to delete user.config when uninstalling Spellpad would solve this problem through reinstallation.

But the bigger question is why it goes to <value>-32000#-32000</value>
I've caught it doing that several times and for a long time now.

067. Copy-paste these two words into Spellpad 0.21:
TeraByte Image

Now select both words > right click on what you selected and Spellpad reverts to only the first word 'TeraByte' being selected.

In other words, as soon as you right click, both words are no longer selected, so you can't right click > Copy
both words because only the first word becomes selected as soon as you right click.

068. When you start the program you have to CLICK on empty space to start typing.
In Notepad when you start it, you can start typing *without* clicking on empty space inside them first.
Spellpad should do this too.

EDIT: This has not been fixed yet. I retested and this does not happen when first installing the program, only after you close it and use the desktop shortcut again after testing the program at first.

069. If you make changes to a document and click on SAVE then X to exit, program exits without any prompts (good!)
If you click on SAVE AS then X to exit, program prompts to save -- it shouldn't -- since no changes were made after the program has been Saved As...

In other words SAVE and SAVE AS should behave the same when you click on X to exit. There should not be a prompt when X-ing out IF the program was already either "Saved" OR "Saved As".

070. Program reverted to an old bug of not remembering new window size - it should be an easy fix.

071. Spellpad > Settings > Manage Dictionaries > It is impossible to Edit Dictionary here if Default Dictionary is the only dictionary. Only if you create a new dictionary does the Edit Dictionary become active. Edit Dictionary should not be grayed out if Default Dictionary is the only dictionary.

072. Searching for question mark crashes the program.
So CTRL+F then ?
crashes the program.

073. Last search term should remain in search box. There should be a drop down menu that would list a certain number of last search terms. It would be nice to have a Clear List option too.

074. This may be complicated:
Spellpad > Settings > Manage Dictionaries > Import Dictionary... function:
Empty DefaultDictionary is already there. So if you click on Manage Dictionaries > Import Dictionary... and you browse to an old saved DefaultDictionary.lex, then you are asked to replace existing DefaultDictionary and if you accept then you have successfully imported old saved DefaultDictionary.lex.

Here's the question: You can only import a dictionary file name that already exists.
In other words the existing entry is DefaultDictionary and therefore ONLY DefaultDictionary.lex can be imported.
If you wanted to import SomeOtherName.lex, it would not import... unless you create an empty SomeOtherName new Dictionary FIRST.

Can Import Dictionary be made to import ANY .lex file. Right now it can ONLY import a .lex file that already exists, in other words, in can only REPLACE existing dictionary it cannot IMPORT AND CREATE.

075. Can Uninstaller ask to clean all remnants of the program and remove all settings and preferences?
So by default it would keep current preferences just like it does now, but maybe additional Checkbox inside uninstaller can be offered to Remove all traces of the program on the system?

076. Create backup of settings results in a Crash. Details of crash reveal that: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Spellpad.
The Backup feature crashes for me - but I agree with you that making it work would resolve the problem of backing up newly added custom words away from C: drive.

077. Place a simple little 'Clear' command to clear Backup History displayed.

078. Auto update is in test mode for now. I am of the opinion that any auto update notifier final version should be off by default and only be enabled manually. This is to avoid any information being sent in & out of Spellpad unless user specifically requests it. This would help the program gain acceptance as trusted freeware computer literate people would install on all their relative's computers as the main word processor on those computers. Spellpad does *everything* grandma needs from a word processor. She has zero use for 99% of Microsoft Word features.

To that end -- any information coming in or out of Spellpad should be by choice, enabled manually.

079. If you check for updates, you get this message: The latest version 0.xx Beta is already installed. That message then permanently stays inside the program.

It should be a temporary message. This issue is not related to auto update checks - it is about manual update check message.

In other words, this is completely separate from auto-update features. When manually updating, can there be a temporary display of version status that disappears?

080. I liked the Update Available little message in upper right corner. Very nice.
Why not make it clickable?

081. When simply updating, can the program perhaps preserve settings like the already chosen font, or (for example) if Status Bar is shown or not?
In other words, when uninstalling, it is important to have the option to remove all traces of the program, but when simply updating, old settings should be preserved since the user presumably only wants the updates, not to reset the program settings.

082. When you click on Restore Backup, you get a window where you can PASTE the location of a file.
However when you click on three dots in the upper right corner ... to select Backup location, you get a window where you cannot PASTE the location - you are forced to browse to it.

Is it possible to always have a window where you can PASTE a location of a file?

EDIT: In order to keep compatibility with Windows XP, this feature cannot be implemented.

083. Did we lose the ability to Right-click > Add words to custom dictionary because there was no way to reconcile that feature with being able to right click on several words?

EDIT: Fixed but instead of having this displayed:
Add to Dictionary 'ExampleWord'

have this displayed instead:
Add 'ExampleWord' to Dictionary

084. Can any Replacements successfully made message be in the lower left corner of the Find and Replace window instead of a separate opp-up window?

EDIT: Completely Fixed in an excellent way.

085. How complicated would it be for Backup to include both custom dictionary file and Spell pad settings such as font size and whether Status Bar is selected to be shown or not?

086. Restoring some backups results in a crash when you click on Save Changes.

087. Find function should have Find Previous in addition to Find Next.

088. When you click on Uninstall or Update, how about a quick text reminder to Please Save/Close any open Spellpad documents?

089. Auto update check feature is ok if you want to add it - but please set it to OFF by default.

(This is because significant percentage of users may be computer illiterate users who are using the program because it was set up by their computer literate friends/relatives for whom stability of existing setup is more important than any update which with it carries an inherent risk of changing the look of the program and then they get hundreds of phone calls asking them "what happened!?!" ;)
So if they want auto-updates, they can click to get them rather than this being default.)

Last edited:
The program is now on Version 0.9.36

090. [Not a big deal, but] When you replace a word with another word, you get a separate window popup that says:
Replacements successfully made. (which is good)

However, can we have a message that says (if there are 35 replacements):
Replace All: 35 replacements successfully made.

091. Find (and Replace) Clear search list needs to be fixed.

EDIT: Fixed all except Find what. Clear Search list for Find what is not being cleared still.
Find what is also not retaining history.

092. Find and Find Previous buttons should not be visible in the Replace TAB as they do not work in the Replace TAB.

093. Replace is not retaining history, like Find is.
EDIT: Replace with: FIXED.
Find what: NOT FIXED.

094. Since CTRL+Z works right after multiple Replacements are performed with a single click, perhaps a little 'Undo Replacements' link might appear after a Replacement function is executed?

095. Grammar nitpicking:
Add full stop between time 08:21 & "Check again later." so it says:
Last checked on Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 08:21. Check again later.

This has now been completely fixed. I have been looking in Photoshop how this would look with a double space, right now it says:
Last checked on Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 13:03. Check again later.
I think it looks better with a double space (not a single space) before "Check again later" because of context, what do you think?:
Last checked on Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 13:03. Check again later.

096. About Spellpad.

Some ideas: I would only use the words 'little' or 'tiny' in connection with Spellpad's download size, not the program itself. Spellpad is important. It's features are a BIG deal. Spellpad is a BIG DEAL! :)

Obviously this is very subjective and so many choices & options are available, including talking about the actual Spellpad features.

Spellpad is a free word processing tool which includes special features and enhancements which make it better than the default Notepad program. It is well designed and straightforward and comes with a simplistic user interface which makes it easy to use.

Questions:

A. Instead of 'word processing tool', why not "word processor"?
B. Can we mention that spell checker is already built in?
C. Instead of 'default Notepad program', why not just "Windows Notepad"?

All this is subjective and I am just brainstorming

097. When Find Next finds the last occurrence of the search word in the document, can there be a little message that says [in the lower left corner]:

Found the last occurrence. The end of the document has been reached.

or if doing Find Previous and you hit the first occurrence:

Found the first occurrence. The beginning of the document has been reached.

So for example, *click* it finds the word *click* it finds the word then *click* you get that message then *click* it starts the cycle again.

EDIT: Very good. Maybe this feature can make it into version 1?
I consider this feature fully implemented but just as a question, is it possible to dedicate that last click to "nothing".
In other words, you click, you click, you click [reach the end] and then the next click goes to beginning.

Can this happen instead: you click, you click, you click [reach the end], you click and nothing happens (you see the green message) then the following click goes to the beginning. So there was an empty click that did "nothing" between end & beginning. It's there to accentuate the fact that end of document had been reached.
Like I said, I consider the feature fully implemented - but am just asking how difficult it would be to implement that?

098. "Replacements successfully made" pop-up window is unnecessary. That message is already being displayed in the lower left corner in green and is more elegant like that.

099. This may be a weird request and I don't know how to even call this feature but Microsoft word has a special character for apostrophe ‘ so that when contents of books are copied into Spellpad those special characters remain and make it difficult to get search hits because when you regularly type, you type apostrophe as ' not as ‘ but this is much better to explain with a screen shot. So a button that would do all this with a single click, replace all occurrences of this in the entire document with a single click:

Replace.png

Pictured ? characters are:

replaced with:
' " -

Maybe call this feature like this and have the same Undo Replacements function as for Replace all?

CurlyToStraight.png

Whereby the long dash: —
is actually replaced not by a short dash: -
but by [space][short dash][space]: -

100. If complicated feel free to move this to version 2 possible ideas: When you type a word into a Find TAB and then you say "oh I need to Replace this word, not find it" then you click on the Replace TAB, and then you have to type the word again into the Find what: field of the Replace TAB.

Well, can typing a word into the Find TAB, replicate itself into the Find what: field of the Replace TAB?

In other words, you click on Find TAB, and you type hello
Then you click on Replace TAB and the word hello is already in the Find what: field.

This feature is already present in Notepad, so maybe it should be in version 1 of Spellpad too.

102. This only affects Windows XP (not a big deal): Time format is set to AM / PM format and not system format so if the system has a 24h clock, it doesn't display the 24h format time. [again, not a big deal].

EDIT: This is a Windows XP issue, not a Spellpad issue.

103. Help > Feedback feature is not working.

105. Nothing to problematic but if there is a Spellpad Setup.exe already at one location - the update will download and overwrite it without prompting, if told to save to same location.

107. I need to think if this makes sense but clicking on Find Next ultimately results in message "Found the first occurrence."
Clicking on Find Previous ultimately results in message "Found the last occurrence."

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

EDIT: Completely Fixed
but can you make the message in two rows so that it says:

Found the first occurrence.
The beginning of the document has been reached.

So that this overlay looks more professional:

FindWindow.png

108. After Replace ‘ ’ “ ” — is executed, it moves the display of the document to the beginning of the document. Can it instead move the display to the end of the document?
[Please leave Replace where it is, until just before Final version.]

109. File > Open > The list of most recently opened files ends with the most recently file opened.
It should begin with it. The last file opened should be at the top.

110. Open empty session of Spellpad. Then File > Open > open one of the recently saved files directly from that list.
Make changes and try to Save.
This file has been modified by another program. Would you like to reload the file?
That message appears. It should not.
[Really happy to discover a legitimate bug prior to final release ;)]

112. This was implemented in earlier versions:
Typing a word into the Find TAB, replicates itself into the Find what: field of the Replace TAB.
Can we do the same in reverse:

Typing a word into the Find what: field of the Replace TAB, to replicate itself into the Find TAB.

113. Download Update > Start Download is broken in version 032, maybe in version 033 too.
I successfully downloaded 033 by installing a random old version (022) and could only then download the update to 033.

114. CHECKBOX for: Replace curly quotes with straight quotes icon
for icon to show up to the right of the existing Replace icon or if too difficult for the word Replace to show up as it is now but OFF by default.

View attachment CurlytoStraight2.bmp

EDIT: This has been adequately implemented. I do think that the icon would look out of place and should not be used.
Logically speaking, upon seeing Show special replace CHECKBOX, 100% users, all of them, would say "What is that?"
Something that says "Replace curly quotes with straight quotes" should be in there... something that says what that is somehow...
Show special replace is great but they will not know what that is at all. Feedback would get inundated with the same question, what is Show special replace?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: As much as all of this is perfect for my use, can you save code that has all of this as it is for me to use internally but we have to think of average users... Having Replace like that does not make any sense, the only logical solution is to have Replace curly quotes with straight quotes inside the Replace TAB of the Find & Replace Window. The way it is now is PERFECT for me but cannot be in the public release for obvious reasons.

Make a backup for all the settings you have of Spellpad and uninstall it. Now install the latest one and run it. Make sure it works fine. By Default the "Replace" button will be hidden so to make it visible, go to the Registry Editor > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ahmed.C\S pellpad" and there should be a key called 'Other'. Change the value from 0 to 1 and the next time you open the settings menu, the checkbox should be there.

EDIT: Completely Fixed using
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ahmed.C\Spellpad]
"Other"="1"

115. Since Recent File list is neatly piled in its own sub menu, why is Max recent file count set to only 3? Maybe go for max 25 and let people adjust it down instead of up. Recent File Lists has its own submenu, eliminating concern of crowding.

EDIT: On second thought yes, it should be 8 because too many will push Clear All Recents down too far and people can choose to increase that number.

116. Cosmetic issue in this TAB with the lines:

AppearanceTAB.png

EDIT: This has not been fixed yet. It is the same old DPI problem that can be fixed using the same way previous DPI issues were fixed.

117. Quick question that comes up after heavy testing: Can Clear search list / Clear replace list also clear *current* search term. It appears to only clear previous search terms and leaves in place the current search term.

EDIT: Although current search term is now cleared after restarting Find and Replace. For future versions, wishlist would include making the current search term disappear immediately from the list just like previous search terms disappear immediately after clicking on Clear. Can that be done in future versions, I am guessing it is too difficult to implement quickly now?

118. The File > Open > previously opened document list only lists files opened using File > Open.
It does not list files opened by double clicking on a .txt file and automatically opening it with Spellpad. It should list files opened with a double click too.

119. Tiny bit of clarification on the wording of what special Replace button does, maybe something along the lines:
Show special Replace menu button
(replaces curly quotes with straight quotes)

EDIT: The part in parenthesis (replaces curly quotes with straight quotes) was supposed to explain what special Replace is. But Appearance TAB is already very crowded. This is why I wanted to see that old version, to see how it was handled there.
This is open to suggestions. How about maybe placing Text selection Color next to Default Pad Color?

Like this and then just adding (replaces curly quotes with straight quotes) at the bottom of this:

SideBySide.jpg

120. If you search for a term that actually exists in the document and it is remembered in a drop down list, then next time you search for the same term, as soon as you type it in, the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the word!

So if the search term was 'hi' [and the term 'hi' actually exists in the document]
Next time you type 'hi' in, it immediately jumps back to the beginning. So for example if you try searching for high,
as soon as you type 'hi' it jumps back to the beginning so you see 'ghhi' typed in instead of 'high'.

122. Cosmetic issue of Find drop down arrow not being in line with Replace drop down arrow.
However, when corrected in Photoshop as shown, it stills feels awkward.
Replace should not be raised one up for functionality reasons so this one is opened to suggestions.

FindLength.png

Maybe revert to including Find Next as well as originally programmed?

FindNext.png

Yeah, probably re-insert Find Next in there...

123. Cosmetic issue, the end of About is cut off:

About2.png

124. If you plan on removing 'What's New' from the final version then this is irrelevant, but when you DOUBLE click on Refresh inside What's New, you get an error.

125. Perhaps consider not including the word (mandatory) next to Feedback but I would leave the words (optional).
So feedback would be just by itself like this Feedback:

126. Please feel free to ignore this one if it requires anything other than a small effort. When you click on special Replace, the display goes to the end (good!) - but it always does so regardless if changes are made or not. Can the window only move IF replacements have been made and not move if there are no replacements to be made?

127. Feedback feature needs fixing. Sending Feedback resulted in:

FeedbackTesting.png

128. Icons and Images is cut off:

IconsAndImages.png

129. Would you please add this to Special Replace:
`→ '

130. If you already searched for a word that starts with a capital letter, next time you CTRL+F, as soon as you type that same letter, Spellpad switches it to a capital letter. It shouldn't. So if you already searched for 'Spellpad', until you clear search history list, every time you search for a word that starts with 's', the program switches from small s to capital S. It shouldn't.

131. What's New should definitely be UNCHECKed by default.
It's existence kind of suggests that it will be used often... I hope it won't be. I hope that people will not find bugs in Spellpad and that we won't be releasing new official releases "all the time".
I prefer the clean look and using the What's New link under Help.
This is not set in stone however, it is just a personal preference that I prefer only to see the option to start Spellpad and that it is CHECKed by default as the only option so as not to "confuse" already suspicious new users who expect complexity and some kind of disappointment. Target users are people who will use this as their main word processor, with limited computer knowledge, we don't want What's New popping up on them. Absolutely keep 'What's New' under the Help menu of course.

132. After Update has finished downloading a new Setup file, the Start Download button should be grayed out or else people will accidentally re-start downloading what they just finished downloading. I did :D
Only Apply Update should be clickable at that point (after download has completed).

133. Suggest should be the Find History default option.

134. Spellpad only remembers CTRL+F hits. It should also remember words that were searched but there were not hits.
So if there is no word 'hotel' in the document and you search for it - 'hotel' will not be found in the search history list. It will only be added to the search history list after you search * and get a search hit. *

135. For now, What's New should not be in the window just before Spellpad starts. Only one option, to start Spellpad or not should be there. What's New should remain under Help but not on the initial window, for now.

137. File > Print > only prints the first page, instead of the entire document.

138. File > Print > cuts off sentences regardless of Word Wrap setting.

EDIT: Version 045 Beta crashes when Printing is attempted. Before it was printing only first page of what was visible.
Windows XP version should have simple Printing of what was typed...

139. Windows XP version cannot download updates.

Last edited:
After moving Spellpad to .NET 4.5 version which is incompatible with Windows XP, Spellpad enters version 0.9.xx sequence:

View attachment Spellpad-0.9.36.zip

101. Find > Click on Find next *only once* to find an existing word.

Now at this pointy and only at this point, Menu > Edit > Find Previous works straight away but not Menu > Edit > Find Next.
Find next thereafter kicks in but try to replicate this exactly as this:

1. Open document
2. Find > Click on Find next *only once* to find an existing word.
3. Now at this pointy and only at this point, Menu > Edit > Find Previous works straight away but not Menu > Edit > Find Next.
4. Menu > Edit > Find Next works the second time you try it, not the first time.

106. In Spellpad, clicking on Find Next repeatedly, switches focus between the Find Next Window and Document Window to result in (unwanted) flashing effect.

111. CTRL+F > type in search word and press Enter. Spellpad finds it. Now pressing Enter should result in the next hit. Instead Spellpad changes focus back to editing the document with Enter. Second Enter should continue the search, not revert to editing the document.

121. It turns out that 111. above would solve a current problem.
If you search for hello, it hits hello and highlights it, now if you press Enter as is natural to try to get another hit, since Spellpad changed focus away from Search window back to document, the word hello is highlighted and pressing enter effectively erases it.

136. Here's an interesting one that may not be fixable before the .NET switch.
It only appears when opening a lengthy text document, it cannot be replicated with a short document.
It only appears if Spellpad is the Windows default txt editor, so when you double click on a txt file, it launches Spellpad. This problem cannot be replicated if opening a file from an already launched Spellpad.

Once again, when double clicking on a lengthy txt document, Spellpad launches. Now you must *wait* a few seconds, and only then CTRL+F would immediately be in focus. If you do not wait a few seconds, launching CTRL+F would launch the Find/Replace window but it would not be in focus yet, because you didn't wait long enough for Spellpad to fully launch. Therefore, since you didn't wait, when you start typing, instead of inside the Find/Replace window you are typing inside the document. You need to click on the Find/Replace window to change focus.

In other words, it is a variant of the the focus switch problem. Not a huge deal. But something that will need to be addressed in .NET version if it cannot be in this one.

140. Version number under Help > About should be 0.9x now.

141. Printing is still broken.

142. [new bug] CTRL+F > when you find a search term, and Close the Find Box, instead of being at the newly found search term, the program reverts you to the beginning of the document.

143. CTFL+F immediately sends the displayed document view to the end of the open document - it should not.

144. Double clicking on Setup exe on a computer which has an old version of Spellpad already installed, doesn't give an option to simply 'update'. The three options offered are confusing to users which already have old version of Spellpad installed.

145. When you open a file called Test.txt, and then you go to File > Save As...

Test.txt should already be in the name field...

This is standard behavior in all word processors.

146. Is it possible to CTRL+F then immediately start typing into the Find box?
Warning: It's better to leave the code as it is then to do this and reintroduce Bug 136 where you could have CTRL+F be able to type immediately but only if the document is very small. We don't want Bug 136 to return for larger text documents. It is better as it is now rather than have that happen.[/B]

147. Restore Default button doesn't wok and it definitely needs a confirmation dialog when it it does...

148. [120. Back Again] If you search for a term that actually exists in the document and it is remembered in a drop down list, then next time you search for the same term, as soon as you type it in, the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the word!

So if the search term was 'hi' [and the term 'hi' actually exists in the document]
Next time you type 'hi' in, it immediately jumps back to the beginning. So for example if you try searching for high,
as soon as you type 'hi' it jumps back to the beginning so you see 'ghhi' typed in instead of 'high'.

149. [134. Back Again] Spellpad only remembers CTRL+F hits. It should also remember words that were searched but there were not hits.
So if there is no word 'hotel' in the document and you search for it - 'hotel' will not be found in the search history list. It will only be added to the search history list after you search * and get a search hit. *

150. Format > Quick Bar adds an additional quick bar that has smaller icons then permanently present Quick Bar with large icons

151. Instead of Spellpad Version 1.00 Backup.spb file being named that, maybe rename it to
Spellpad 1.00 Settings Backup.spb

152. This one would be impossible to find for even the most devoted of bug hunters :)
Replace works but Replace All crashes if you use replacement term question mark ? :

Open document > CTRL+F > Replace TAB >
Replace what: ?
Replace with: ??
> Replace All

CRASH

153. If you have a Spellpad shortcut in your user name Desktop... Spellpad will add an additional shortcut to your Public Desktop if you update it, the end result being two identical shortcuts to Spellpad displayed on your PC, one in your user name Desktop and the other in Public Desktop. Suggested solution: Inside the same window where it says 'Install' have this CHECKBOX:
Create Spellpad Shortcut on Desktop

154. Spellpad intercepted phoning home with Automatic Updates disabled:

SpellpadPhoneHome.jpg

EDIT: This has not been fixed yet.

155. Consider adding a CHECKBOX in Settings that says something like "Make Spellpad the default program for *.txt files."

156. Default Program feature works great. Take a look under Settings, the CHECKBOX for "Make Spellpad as default text editor" is not responsive after installing Spellpad and actually making it the default text editor.

157. Consider the default installation directory to be
C:\Program Files (x86)\Spellpad\
rather than
C:\Program Files (x86)\[company name]\Spellpad\

Company name subfolder makes sense for huge corporations like Adobe, but gets in the way when trying to find the program's .exe file for small programs like Spellpad.

There are a million reasons why users will look for Spellpad's .exe. They may use programs similar to Notepad Replacer.
They may wish to set custom program icons for their txt files.
I can go on and on. It should always be easy for users to find the program's exe file and this is why a direct installation directory like
C:\Program Files (x86)\Spellpad
is useful.

158. NotepadReplacer.exe has this bug and so does Spellpad: you see the program does not work if someone already set any other program as their default txt editor.
Maybe somehow FIRST restore Microsoft Notepad as the default text editor and ONLY THEN replace the default txt editor?

If replacing >> any << default txt program is not possible, changing the terminology needs to be done. Spellpad isn't setting itself up as the default program for text files, it is only replacing Notepad. If Notepad is not the default txt editor - then Spellpad will not be either.

"Replace Notepad" some people may incorrectly assume would mean Notepad is totally gone and replaced with Spellpad.

Suggestions:
If Notepad is set to open .txt files - use Spellpad instead.

or simply:
Set Spellpad to open Notepad files.

or how about just:
Use Spellpad instead of Notepad to open text files.

or

Open files associated with Notepad with Spellpad.

or better than that, put Spellpad in front:

Use Spellpad to open files associated with Notepad.

Maybe that? Remove any reference to default files, because neither Notepad Replacer nor Spellpad now can change defaults.

But a simple checkbox next to words Use Spellpad to open files associated with Notepad.
would be accurate and non-threatening.

159. Add Initial Capitals to Format > Convert Case
which would convert
initial capitals or INITIAL CAPITALS
to Initial Capitals

160. Edit > Find > Replace > Click in the middle of a previously searched term > If you start typing, the cursor jumps to the right, to the end of the word, making it impossible to type anywhere else. It shouldn't.

161. Context Menu icon insertion / removal very buggy.

162. Spellpad crashes if multiple Spellpad windows are opened then all closed at once.
Bug can be replicated by right clicking on the Task Bar > Properties > Task bar buttons > Always Combine > Apply
then right clicking on Spellpad > Close all windows

or
using CloseAll programs such as
http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/close-all.html

163. This one is big (for me). Starting with version 0.9.14, Spellpad removes the right click > New > Text Document Windows menu entry (!)
I know how to restore it but 99% of people will not:
Code:

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt]
"PerceivedType"="text"
@="txtfile"
"Content Type"="text/plain"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\ShellNew]
"ItemName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,\
  6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,\
  00,6e,00,6f,00,74,00,65,00,70,00,61,00,64,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,2c,00,\
  2d,00,34,00,37,00,30,00,00,00
"NullFile"=""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile]
"EditFlags"=dword:00010000
@="Text Document"
"FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\
  00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\
  32,00,5c,00,6e,00,6f,00,74,00,65,00,70,00,61,00,64,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,\
  00,2c,00,2d,00,34,00,36,00,39,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\DefaultIcon]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,69,00,6d,00,\
  61,00,67,00,65,00,72,00,65,00,73,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,2d,00,31,\

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\open\command]
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,4e,00,4f,00,\
  54,00,45,00,50,00,41,00,44,00,2e,00,45,00,58,00,45,00,20,00,25,00,31,00,00,\

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\print]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\print\command]
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,4e,00,4f,00,\
  54,00,45,00,50,00,41,00,44,00,2e,00,45,00,58,00,45,00,20,00,2f,00,70,00,20,\

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\printto]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\printto\command]
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6e,00,6f,00,\
  74,00,65,00,70,00,61,00,64,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2f,00,70,00,74,\
  00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,32,00,22,00,20,00,22,00,\

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.txt]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.txt]
"PerceivedType"="document"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt\OpenWithList]
"a"="NOTEPAD.EXE"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt\OpenWithProgids]
"txtfile"=hex(0):

164. Follow these directions carefully:
Copy paste the following into Spellpad then CTRL+F > experian > Find Next > X to cancel out of the Find window > now press F3 to automatically find the next occurrence of the word 'experian' and you will see that it ONLY hits the first two occurrences and does NOT hit the others.

Weird bug because it cannot be replicated in other documents for other search terms. Copy-paste the following:

Experian 0 experian

Experian-0-EXPERIAN
experian

165. Will not install on Windows 7 because of .NET.

• Settings Menu:

I would remove the word Editor and just leave Default Editor Font where it is in subtitle of the section, for clarity. It makes sense fro the programming point of view the way it is but I am just looking at it from clarity point of view.

I would consider removing the complete line "Clear all recents from the recent list" for clarity.

Maybe leave the title Recents List - it can be unique to Spellpad
or instead of

Recents List
Clear all recents from the recent list

just have

Clear Recent Documents List

and underneath leave two buttons as they are
| Clear All | | Edit Recents |

• Spellcheck TAB:

Instead of Spellchecker Enabled, consider
[CHECKBOX] Enable Spellchecker

• Backup TAB:

Make a backup of all the settings and dictionaries which you've added. Easily restore the backup with the backup file you created.

How about:
Make a backup of all the settings and dictionaries. Easily restore them later from the backup file you created.

167. Make a donation and Spellpad Forum buttons are not working.

168. Importing Dictionaries was possible in older versions of Spellpad using *.lex and *.dic and*dat and *.txt and most importantly using *.* so that a Notepad++ dictionary file *.usr could also be imported.

So default dictionary file name type should be *.*

169. It appears you can set a custom location for the Global Dictionary but after you do - the custom location is reset back after Spellpad restart.

170.CTRL+F is not in focus again. When you CTRL+F you need to be able to begin typing.
Not CTRL+F then click on empty space and only then begin typing.

171. Search Google and Define Word does not work.

172. Restore Default | Save Changes | Apply Changes buttons are missing from the Settings menu.

173. Program should remember last used window size.

174. Spellpad is not opening the © symbol correctly from this test text file:

View attachment 156982

175. Auto update check feature is great - but please set it to OFF by default.

(This is because significant percentage of users may be computer illiterate users who are using the program because it was set up by their computer literate friends/relatives for whom stability of existing setup is more important than any update which with it carries an inherent risk of changing the look of the program and then they get hundreds of phone calls asking them "what happened!?!"
So if they want auto-updates, they can click to get them rather than this being default.)

176. Font size in Search and Replace 'Found the last occurrence...." is great. Buy split the message into two lines so that "Reached the end of..." is in the second line.

FindDPIScaling.png

177. Save icon should turn from color to grayscale after the file is saved. It should turn back to color immediately after new characters are typed in - indicating that changes have not been saved.
Color icon - changes have not been saved yet.
Grayscale icon - existing work has been saved.

The grayscale on Save should be triggered by a Save As function as well. In other words Save As should permanently stay in color but Save should go to grayscale after *either* Save or Save As icon is pressed.

178. Name of file is not displayed on the top bar.

179. If you check for updates, you get this message: You have the latest version of Spellpad. That message then permanently stays inside the program.

It should be a temporary message. This issue is not related to auto update checks - it is about manual update check message.
When manually updating, can there be a temporary display of version status that disappears? Or maybe add the same message as before "Check again later."

Current Version and Last checked should be on two separate lines perhaps?

180. Can Clear search list / Clear replace list also clear *current* search term. It appears to only clear previous search terms and leaves in place the current search term.

Make the current search term disappear immediately from the list after clicking on Clear.

181. Recent Documents List is lost upon restart.

182.. The File > Open > previously opened document list should also list files opened by double clicking on a .txt file and automatically opening it with Spellpad. So it should list files opened with a double click too not just files opened with File > Open

183.. If you search for a term that actually exists in the document and it is remembered in a drop down list, then next time you search for the same term, as soon as you type it in, the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the word!

184. If you already searched for a word that starts with a capital letter, next time you CTRL+F, as soon as you type that same letter, Spellpad switches it to a capital letter. It shouldn't. So if you already searched for 'Spellpad', until you clear search history list, every time you search for a word that starts with 's', the program switches from small s to capital S. It shouldn't.

185. After CTRL+F, you should immediately be able to type.
Not CTRL+F then mouse click on empty space, and only then type. The same goes for Replace.

186. Can this color be used as Background default "paper" color, "Background Color", rather than white?

View attachment 156370

Is it only possible to have main colors as defaults? I actually have this color system wide in registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
"Window"="255 243 215"

EDIT:Spellpad will read the default color from Windows registry entry .
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\Window

187. Find and Replace History should list the most recent searched for term, FIRST not last.

188. Instead of Spellpad 0.9.16 Backup.sbf file being named that, maybe rename it to
Spellpad 0.9.16 Settings Backup.spb

189. A huge bug. Spellpad no longer displays text of opened files after it has been made the default Windows text editor.

190. When you open a file called Test.txt, and then you go to File > Save As...

Test.txt should already be in the name field...

This is standard behavior in all word processors.

191. Rename dictionary may be a useful button?
EDIT: It works but no one would ever find it where it is now. It needs to be where Edit Custom dictionary is, so you need two groups of buttons there, one group for Add/remove and the other for Edit/Rename so four buttons are needed there.

192. Replicate the suggestion Search style from 0.9.12, the new one assumes you want to search for a previously searched term instead of making you click on the list of suggestions like in 0.9.12.

193. Search dropdown history button now missing.

194. Replicate the old Downloader look and functions (such as warnings about overwriting existing files etc.) into new.

195. If I search for a capital G, exit the search Window, then reopen the search window, typing in g would immediately change g to G because G is in history. Spell should not change or suggest anything in that sense. Only open a drop down list to which user is forced to use keyboard arrows or mouse to get to the suggested word. Nothing should be visibly added in the search field. If you want to add that functionality - it should be an OPTION like before, but not default.

Example: If you have searched for Great and you try to search for great after that, Spellpad will automatically switch great to Great making it *impossible* to search for great even when checking the Match case box. So it is a bug that Spellpad auto-changes the search term. This is a priority after resolving Next click bug.
once again it is impossible to search for great after searching for Great because Spellpad auto-changes the search term. Spellpad should auto-change nothing.

196. The Last checked time would say 8:36 PM instead of my system clock settings of 20:36.

This was how the old Spellpad had it:
Last checked on Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 20:36.
instead of
Last checked: Sunday, August 02, 2015 at 8:36 PM.

EDIT: There still is AM / PM displayed on 24 hour clock systems,

197. Spellpad CANNOT start on all systems. Even with Administrator rights. Reason may be incorrect use of Program Files directory?

SpellpadWon'tStart.png

I figured out the cause!

DPI set to 120%

198. The new downloader

a. Has two Download buttons.
b. Has a light DPI problem.
c. Does not warn if a Setup files already exists, it just overwrites it.

DownloaderDPI.png

199. Send button is covering feedback text.

FeedbackSendButton.png

200. Include the just saved file into the recent documents list, not just files that have been opened.
In other words when Spellpad is started empty, text typed in THEN SAVED, that saved document should become part of the Recents List.

201. CTRL+F then entering a word then pressing ENTER repeatedly doesn't work. ENTER should execute the command.

202. Updater within Spellpad should replicate the new Downloader behavior and warn if there is an existing Setup.exe before overwriting.

203. If you searched the test file for a word then closed the search box, then that word will already be inside the search box next time you start CTRL+F.

So if you CTRL + F and you press Enter, you get to the next word and press Enter you get to the next word.
but if instead you
CTRL + F and click on Next, nothing happens. CTRL + F and then clicking on Next should find the next occurrence of the word already in the search box when you CTRL + F.

204. Maybe make the Settings window just a bit longer to avoid the need for the scroll bar:

Settings.png

205. F3 search no longer works the moment you mouse click anywhere in the document after initially using F3.

206. After you run the update from within Spellpad and install it, there is a permanent Install Update link in the upper right corner that keeps wanting to install an update even though that latest v0.9.23 is already installed!

207. File > Close is missing!

EDIT: Feature Added.

208. Cannot File > Close Document before saving the file for the first time.

209. Instead of "Haven't checked for updates" maybe say "Never checked for updates." or "Have not checked for updates yet." Or different wording on this...

210. CTRL+F > Start typing ***THIS IS GOOD*** but then when you press ENTER nothing happens! you have to press ENTER again and again for it to take. So problem: pressing enter three times after CTCR+F > type in search term.

It should be
1. CTRL+F
2. Type in search term
3. Enter
4. HIT!!!

not

1. CTRL+F
2. Type in search term
3. Enter
4. Nothing happens
5. Enter
6. Nothing happens
7. Enter
6. HIT!!!

211. Spellpad starts minimized. Spellpad should start maximized.

212. Show Suggestions CHECKBOX cannot be set off and stay off after Spellpad restarts. It should be off by default.

213. Small DPI fix needed where it says Ready to download:

DPIUpdate.png

214. Instead of Create Shortcut in Desktop it should say Create Spellpad Shortcut on Desktop
+
Remove extra check box titled CheckBox.

215. If this test file is opened in both Notepad++ and Spellpad, you can see that Spellpad does not display the hyphen in the word func-tion which is there: TEST FILE: View attachment test.txt

Resolved.
Much like this word which appears normal on screen:
configuration
the letters fi in configuration are not ordinary letters but some sort of a symbol fi.

In TEST FILE: View attachment test.txt , the hyphen in func-tion, is not an ordinary keyboard entered hyphen, it different than keyboard inserted hyphen, it is a symbol. This cannot be seen in Microsoft Word, but can be seen in (superior) word processing software like WordPerfect which has a Reveal Codes feature, which when turned ON, clearly shows that the problem characters are not ordinary keyboard entered characters but special symbols which just appear as regular characters on screen.

216. Open this file View attachment test.txt then delete the first line. Now Save As, and you'll see that the first line of newly Saved As file contains this first line: System.Windows.Controls.TextBox:
It should not contain that line.

217. Spellpad is being intercepted as phoning home with all auto updates off in version 0.9.26.

218. CTRL+F does not open fast enough for immediate instantaneous typing to commence like it can on Microsoft Notepad.
The CTRL+F window is not ready to be typed in for a bout 1 second after launch.

219. New feature. Under Format > Font and above Format > Case... have Insert • ✓ ° ↑ ↓ ← → © ½ ¢ € £ ₤ ♪ ®

View attachment test.txt

220. Editing then trying to save a read-only .txt file crashes the program.

221. Perhaps change Insert... to Insert Symbol...

222. Perhaps include the Default List feature (which resets the symbol list) and Remove feature so that users can remove custom added symbols.

223. Help > Feedback is broken.

224. Quick DPI fix and maybe put version number in larger font and/or bold?

UpdateWindow.png

225. Perhaps have Insert Symbol... insert the symbol followed by a SPACE and not just the symbol.

226. Default background "paper" color change to custom off white 255 243 215

Test implementation:
Settings > Background Color > Define Custom Colors >
RED 255
GREEN 243
BLUE 215
Add to custom colors > OK > Save changes.

227. Redo Settings Menu to include Restore to default button.

228. Keep the British pound sign £ but please insert ¥ instead of ₤.

229. Replace TAB > Find What is not saving past searches in the drop down menu. In other words, Search History in the Replace TAB is not working.

230. Clear Replace History doesn't work.

232. Spellpad is not creating a shortcut in the Start Menu. It should. Perhaps checkbox should be: Create Spellpad Shortcut in the Start Menu and Desktop?

233. Format > Convert Case > Capitalize Each Word does not work.

234. File > Print now successfully prints but immediately erases (!) displayed Spellpad screen contents.

235. CHECKBOX 'Edit with Spellpad' context menu entry
so that user can either CHECK it or UNCHECK it without the words Enabled/Disabled in front, which are confusing as far as what is being done, if the words Enabled/Disabled are there... So the words Enabled/Disabled should not be there.

236. Above Select All in the Spellpad Right Click Menu, could we have Insert Symbol...

237. Search and Replace BOX DPI issue, left line is missing:

SearchReplaceDPI.png

239. Instead of Spellpad folder in Start Menu containing the Spellpad shortcut, have just the shortcut instead of having the folder containing the shortcut so it is easier to get to in Start Menu.

240. Instead of
Insert Bullet Point •
how about
Insert • Bullet Point

241. v0.9.30 Spellpad Setup.exe is the last version with "Curly Quote" Replace "easter egg" feature. Can we get Replace back and include this addition:
„ to be replaced by "

242. Right click > Insert Bullet Point or Insert •
which would be above Right click > Insert Symbol... and would insert a bullet point followed by space.

243. Maybe a separation line above Right click > Select All?

244. Where it says:
Help > About >

Spellpad
Version: 0.9.32

Directly to the right of this, can we experiment with having an "Updates" smaller button which would both launch the Updates window and immediately execute the Check button on it automatically.

This was determined to not be feasible at this point.

245. UNCHECKING the option to *not* include Spellpad in Start menu is broken.

246. If this is done in the middle of the file, the cursor jumps to the end of the file. It should not:
Right click > Insert Bullet Point >

247. Clear Recents should mean that the current session name is also cleared from showing up next time Spellpad starts.
Now Clear recents clears all in current session but in next session there is one name, the current session.

Clear Recents should clear everything from ever appearing again.

248. What's New should be removed because it crashes Spellpad.

249. Exception.txt files are being generated on Desktop.

250. Setup.exe task bar info misnames v0.9.35 it as 0.9.33 as well as Windows Installed Programs list misnames it as 0.9.33.
This results in Spellpad > Help > Updates > wanting to replace the misnamed 0.9.33 which is really 0.9.35 with older 0.9.34.

251. Rather than graying them out, maybe just disable these from showing up in the menu for now, instead of graying them out:
- Feedback
- What's New
because they crash Spellpad.

= = =

===

231. With Automatic Updates turned OFF, Spellpad should not be phoning home:

SpellpadInternet.png

This is not an important problem and can be left until later.

238. Edit with Spellpad right click menu is excellent. Could you use this higher res icon set for it, the one used now is the same but in lower res:

View attachment SpellpadRightClick.zip

RightClick1.png

View attachment RightClickTest.zip

This is not an important problem and can be left until later.

• Future version 2 possible ideas
:

File > Close All

Line Numbers [off by default] should be introduced.

An arrow or a dot should be considered in future version 2, marking a specific line...

When you click on Find Next, all instances of the search word are immediately highlighted in the entire document.

Highlights the paragraph you are currently typing in

Auto-correct as you type.

Under the dictionary "Define" right click option, the would be a Map of This Address right click option which would open
https://www.google.com/maps?q=HighlightedSpellpadText
This option would be OFF by default but could be turned ON in Settings.

Perhaps the shade of color Red of the misspelled words should be softer.
EDIT: There is no known way to do this using current way the program is compiled.

Separately and after the above listed bugs have been completely fixed, consider an experimental (separate from everything) release which would test making Spellpad default editor. It could operate based on the way Notepad Replacer works:
http://www.binaryfortress.com/NotepadReplacer/

which *replaces* without removing Microsoft Notepad with Spellpad, automatically making it default for text and making Windows go to Spellpad instead of Notepad for anything Windows already went to Microsoft Notepad for.

Notepad Replacer has a fatal flaw however. It doesn't work if the user is already using a different txt editor other than Microsoft Notepad.
It only works on fresh Windows installations where no one messed with Windows default txt editor. In other words, where Microsoft Notepad is still the default editor. Otherwise, Notepad Replacer is a perfect way to make Spellpad the default txt editor *by choice* of user of course.

Here's something that affects many programs, I wanted to show you what it is, but it affects many programs like I said:

1. If there is an existing file called Test1.txt before you start Spellpad:
2. Spellpad > Save as... > Browse to directory containing existing Test1.txt file
3. Now select Test1.txt > F2 > rename it to Test2.txt > you now still cannot save your Spellpad file as Test1.txt because the program still thinks there is a Test1.txt there even though you just renamed it to Test2.txt.

If you F2 to rename a file inside Save As... window, you should be able to use a previous name of any file, before it was changed. Spellpad has made some progress with this but this still remains:

(Inside Save As window) F2 > rename > click on empty space to exit file name renaming process > You still cannot use the previous name.

You can do so if you Rename > Enter but not if you Rename > click on empty space to exit file name renaming process.

2xx. EDIT: Custom Margin feature has been removed until a way can be found to implement it later.

2xx. EDIT: Page Setup feature has been removed until a way can be found to implement it later.

2xx. When Firefox updates, it also asks for a restart just like Spellpad.
Firefox restarts and reloads all open pages.
Spellpad update should replicate that behavior and restart Spellpad with the current document open again, only in a new version of Spellpad now. (Of course, current practice of asking to save before restarting should also remain.)

2xx. Look at Firefox > Help > About Firefox

Do you see that Check for updates button there (Should Spellpad have this too?)

Last edited:
Back