• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXPIRED Any chance of PS3 console deals this season? Found one!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Sony and MS are both pushing their current generation stuff, but the family needs a new Blu-Ray player. We got a very nice Samsung BD player as part of a package including a TV in 2011 which Samsung promptly stopped providing firmware updates for. As a result, playing any BD movie published in 2012 or later is a crap-shoot whether it will play successfully or not. Stutters, stoppages, and all-out annoyances abound. The only way around this seems to be to stick with something that gets consistent updates, and a PS3 seems like the best bet for that, not least of which because Blu-Ray is Sony's format.

In any case, what does anybody think the odds are for a Cyber Monday or Black Friday deal for a Slim or Super-Slim?

Last edited:
Does Amazon used have a warranty of any kind? I'll have to check all that out this morning. I heard/read that Gamestop might put their "pre-owned" consoles on sale for Black Friday. That might be my best best. Used electronics is a bit of a crap shoot unless you're buying from someone you really trust. I've had good results buying and selling through this forum, but Amazon is a whole other animal.

For a PS3 it seems like it could possibly be risky either way you go whether it is amazon or gamestop. At least if you would go with gamestop they will usually let you power them on and check them out in store. (they do here anyways)

The last one I bought at Gamestop (6 or so years ago) was sealed in a semi-hard preformed plastic shell. Unit had a bad fan from first switch on. Ridiculously noisy bearing. They replaced it of course, but it was pretty obvious that they don't do anything to test their incoming used units.

I'm done with set-top Blu-Ray. Sony might be safer than Samsung, but the possibility of another orphaned device with no updates that can't play the latest movies reliably is still there. I don't want to wander down that road again.

http://dealnews.com/Sony-PS3-Console-Bundles-from-212-at-Target/1206542.html

At its retail locations, Target offers a selection of Sony PlayStation 3 Console Bundles, with deals starting from $249.99. Claim this Cartwheel coupon to cut 15% off, with prices from $212.49 after the discount. (You can't redeem this coupon online; the link is just for reference.) That puts each at least $21 under the lowest shipped price we could find. Deal ends November 29.

Another reason not to go with set-top. Mom wants a unit that'll do 3D. 3D set-top boxes and a PS3 are actually pretty comparable in price.

Gamestop had a special on used units on Black Friday, but it was online only (no discount on in-store units), and they had almost no inventory so they were all sold by the time I found the time I found the deal at 9:30a EST. I'll keep looking, but I don't think the odds are in my favor on this.

Please delete this comment if it is not allowed... but I believe I saw a PS3 bundle in the classified section and the seller is handsome/awesome.

Finally found one and ordered. It's the 12GB model, but this unit won't be used for games often (if it all), so that's perfectly fine. If needed, it'll be upgraded later. With that in mind, this is a killer deal for those with a 2.5 HDD or SSD sitting around looking for a use. The bundle items aren't terribly exciting, but it's $20 cheaper than the 12GB super-slim by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ4EOLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Back to full price. Less than 24 hours on that one, congrats if you were in the market and caught it.

Last edited:
Finally found one and ordered. It's the 12GB model, but this unit won't be used for games often (if it all), so that's perfectly fine. If needed, it'll be upgraded later. With that in mind, this is a killer deal for those with a 2.5 HDD or SSD sitting around looking for a use. The bundle items aren't terribly exciting, but it's $20 cheaper than the 12GB super-slim by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ4EOLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Back to full price. Less than 24 hours on that one, congrats if you were in the market and caught it.

This is now on sale for $169.99, get it while it's hot :)

Back