• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering port replicator for docking functions, acer m5-583p

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

I have an acer laptop I bought a couple of months ago (some of you may recall the thread in which I was trying to decide how much to spend and on what machine). It works fine, but I'd like to be able to use it with the lid closed on a normal screen and keyboard. My eyesight isn't quite as good as it used to be, and there are times that I'd like a large area of a document displayed while still being large enough to see small details. Since this laptop doesn't have a dedicated docking port, I think that's where a port replicator and larger monitor come into the picture. Any advice from you folks who have done this before? Stuff to avoid, features I may not be thinking of that are nice to have?

v8440*

1) Get a mod to issue your decennial badge. You've earned it.
2) I would say to make sure that you get one that connects via USB 3 and not something slower.

On Newegg, it looks like any units that get good reviews are about $100 for a single monitor. About $150 for dual monitor. With that said, these units have very few reviews at the egg. This is only a cursory look on my part. Hopefully a conversation starter.

Don, I hadn't heard of decennial badges until you mentioned it. I feel kind of funny about that, since I haven't been very active here for a bunch of years. I was a regular on the board back in the day though. I actually got started in overclocking with a goldfingers card. Remember those? I had one hung off the side of a slot A athlon 750. I had it running in the high 800 mhz range stable, which was a decent overclock for the day.

Anyone got experience with specific models of port replicators?

I did not remember those. I had to do a research project just now to learn about them. I had used the Evergreen brand overclocked CPUs for Socket 7 (I think) to get 350 and another one for 400 MHz.

Uh... I mean, I'm not old or nothing.

Back