• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Extreme 6 Z97 - Fan Header Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

ASRock Extreme 6 Z97 has the following:

2 x CPU Fan Connectors (1 x 4-pin, 1 x 3-pin)
3 x Chassis Fan Connectors (1 x 4-pin, 2 x 3-pin)
1 x Power Fan Connector (3-pin)

I have 19 fans, and am going to grab this unit - http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter.aspx

My question is, on the above connections, for PWM control, I know I can use the one four pin CPU Fan Connection, but can I use the single four pin chassis connection? I have read the manual and it states I can change the mode of how each fan header works in the BIOS and I assume this means I can change from manual mode to voltage to pwm etc. But, it does not say if I can make the four pin chassis emulate PWM, and even if I can, if it will work identically to the CPU Fan header, as I have read sometimes (on certain M/Bs) only the cpu fan header is truly PWM.

My system is not currently built, so I have no way of testing this in person or I would instead of asking.

Thank you,

I wouldn't overload the fan header on the mobo. The mobo's fan headers can only handle but so much wattage per fan. I would use a fan controller.

I wouldn't overload the fan header on the mobo. The mobo's fan headers can only handle but so much wattage per fan. I would use a fan controller.

Nebulous, it looks as if the splitter he's referring to has an external molex to power the fans. I'm assuming here, but I think it's only to use the PWM functionality of the motherboard's headers, and take power directly from the PSU.

To the OP, You can use ASRock's included A-Tuning software to set up a fan profile for each fan header, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if you want to give it the same speed settings as the CPU header, you just map out the RPMs/temperature graph identically to the fan header you're using.

Nebulous, it looks as if the splitter he's referring to has an external molex to power the fans. I'm assuming here, but I think it's only to use the PWM functionality of the motherboard's headers, and take power directly from the PSU.

To the OP, You can use ASRock's included A-Tuning software to set up a fan profile for each fan header, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if you want to give it the same speed settings as the CPU header, you just map out the RPMs/temperature graph identically to the fan header you're using.

1) Yeah, the splitter should take power from the PSU via the molex power connector. ATMINSIDE already gave me the power loads @ 1A per header, so I will be putting 2x Helix 120 PWM fans on each header for my 480 rads.

2) Thank you, this was my question. I need a header for my MCP 35x and one for the three 140mm case fans.

My only question was if the PWM functionality is the same. If you read these it seems to suggest issues with how PWM is implemented. After reading it, I assume the four pin chassis connection will actually modulate power "correctly."

So, I just need to figure out what to do with my three case fans that are three pin.

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter.aspx

http://www.swiftech.com/pwmcontrollers.aspx

Last edited:

Ahh, my bad. Missed that part ;)

It seems that most people recommend Swiftech fan controller. Are they the most popular and best ones you can get?

It seems that most people recommend Swiftech fan controller. Are they the most popular and best ones you can get?

It's not a controller, it's a splitter.
It's recommended so much because it is only $10 and you can use your motherboard PWM signal to control the fans connected to it

$10 can't go wrong with that! But seriously, Swiftech is good. They're pretty popular in the States.

Back