• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TEC and watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boanerges57

Registered
Im considering wedging an 80w peltier between a waterblock (cold side) and an HDT-s1284 cooler (hot side) to supplement the cooling on my water cooled rig. Ive go an overclocked FX6100 and an r9 290. Im using 1 60mm thick 1x120mm, 1 45mm thick 2x120mm and 1 45mm thick 3x120mm radiators. I believe that if i place this TEC setup just before the pump that I can drop my overall average temps a little and get a bit more overclock out of it or just lower voltages.

i believe that I can keep my temps fairly constant and reduce the heatload on the TEC to a level manageable with the heatsink.

i know im not going to get a huge temp drop but i think it will be lower than adding more radiators since the cooling return diminishes quite rapidly adding radiators.

Any insight?

You would consume a lot of power, make a very hot heatsink, and eek out very little benefit. Using a peltier is less efficient than using more radiator.
The best improvement for you would be separating the CPU and GPU to distinct loops... aka buy another pump.

^ WHS, really.

If you do want to continue this project, remember that the more temp difference between the hot and cold side the better :)

I have a lot of radiator for that loop already, i am considering using the peltier to drop the temps a little more before the water hits the cpu and gpu.

I realize that in a watercooling loop the water eventually hits a fairly constant temp (varying only a few degrees from hottest to coolest) due to the speed the water is traveling.

I have a lot of radiator and cant really fit any more anyway.

Ive seen someone use a smaller heatsink to do what im am planning and it seemd successful.

The heatsink i have takes 140mm fan and has 4 8mm heatpipes that will be in direct contact with the hotplate. If that doesnt provide the Delta T I need I may consider using an AIO cooler like an H80 or similar to increase the cooling capacity.

Ive been looking and ive seen 230w peltiers running with lesser heatsinks than the one i have.

I am moving forward with my planned water cooling build and i will use a bunch of spares i have as a proof of concept of what i am planning to do. i have enough parts to water cool the peltier if needed. i am planning to chill the liquid in my watercooling loop to below ambient before running it through a gpu and cpu. I will dump as much of the heat load as possible using 1 45mm 2x120mm radiator, 1 60mm 1x140mm radiator and 1 30mm 3x120mm radiator then run it through a water block that is on the cold side of my peltier before it hits the gpu and cpu again. Im figuring that i should be able to keep the average temperature at right around ambient with a small peltier.

Since i have experience building power supplies I am planning to build my own. i currently have a 450v DC power supply I built sitting in my basement. If anyone is interested in 12v power supplies I might just start making them. Single rail 12v power supplies are kind of easy to make. In another life i was an electrical/electronic engineering student before the army kind of changed my life direction somewhat.

Ive been looking and ive seen 230w peltiers running with lesser heatsinks than the one i have.

I am moving forward with my planned water cooling build and i will use a bunch of spares i have as a proof of concept of what i am planning to do. i have enough parts to water cool the peltier if needed. i am planning to chill the liquid in my watercooling loop to below ambient before running it through a gpu and cpu. I will dump as much of the heat load as possible using 1 45mm 2x120mm radiator, 1 60mm 1x140mm radiator and 1 30mm 3x120mm radiator then run it through a water block that is on the cold side of my peltier before it hits the gpu and cpu again. Im figuring that i should be able to keep the average temperature at right around ambient with a small peltier.

Since i have experience building power supplies I am planning to build my own. i currently have a 450v DC power supply I built sitting in my basement. If anyone is interested in 12v power supplies I might just start making them. Single rail 12v power supplies are kind of easy to make. In another life i was an electrical/electronic engineering student before the army kind of changed my life direction somewhat.

Cool :cool:

Post some temps results here will ya?
I wanna see how great peltiers are :)

Neat to see that you can build PSUs, I'm kinda jealous :p

Back