• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant get rid of Malware or Virus off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregers05

Alright guys,

I ready through some of the sticky on getting rid of malware, but to no avail.

I have downloaded numerous malware removal programs (malware bytes) being one of them. I use Microsoft security essentials for AV.

Basically i get pop ups all over the places no matter what internet browser I use, every time I click on a link or text box on the browser, it takes me to some other page. Or I will randomly get a Phishing warning page that is red with white text, at which point I have to close and reopen browser.

None of the malware programs have worked, I have tried to go through and remove programs that I dont recongize on my computer, and I have removed and re-installed my browsers.

I am at the point where I am just going to do a fresh install of windows.

What are my options besides doing this?

Thanks!

You could edit the registry manually. That would take all day but would save you a fresh install. If you edit improperly you'll need to do a fresh install anyway.

With as much time as you've put into fixing the problem, you could have formatted the system by now. I wouldn't bother spending more time on it.

With as much time as you've put into fixing the problem, you could have formatted the system by now. I wouldn't bother spending more time on it.

Yeap ^^^ do that.

I love chasing them down for sport... but once you've got compromised system files and upon deletion they are set to respawn. Its kind of gets tricky/annoying. :D

Not flying blind with your pants down is better than cure. take a little time to secure your browsers with pop up blockers and realtime protection before surfing the gutters ;)

I'm in the same boat. Came home for thanks giving and my father's laptop is plagued by a WildWest Coupons which is even advertising here in some people's signatures. He bout malwarebytes which doesn't do anything. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a single malware program ever just fix a computer like they all state they will. I've run three different full system scans with different software and yet I still get extra tabs popping up each time I click on something or not. I'm going to try the TRON above. Thanks for that link.

PS my dad only has a dell system recovery disk. From what I remember they don't actually do fresh installs they just scan for what files are missing and replace them, not actually replacing them all.

Those recovery disks usually give the option to restore the system to it's original state, which means a wipe and reinstall.

Alright guys,

I ready through some of the sticky on getting rid of malware, but to no avail.

I have downloaded numerous malware removal programs (malware bytes) being one of them. I use Microsoft security essentials for AV.

Basically i get pop ups all over the places no matter what internet browser I use, every time I click on a link or text box on the browser, it takes me to some other page. Or I will randomly get a Phishing warning page that is red with white text, at which point I have to close and reopen browser.

None of the malware programs have worked, I have tried to go through and remove programs that I dont recongize on my computer, and I have removed and re-installed my browsers.

I am at the point where I am just going to do a fresh install of windows.

What are my options besides doing this?

Thanks!

A little late to the game, but here is my method that works pretty well. Its not perfect, but I don't have to do a re-install very often.

This combo of scans generally works pretty well:

ADWcleaner
Malwarebytes
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
TDSSkiller
Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit utility
Combofix (only if experiencing issues still, also, do not run on a windows 8 box - it'll break the install)

In a few instances, you'll need to run hitman pro to get rid of things like snap.do or variations of it.

Also, remove/turn off malicious startup entries from the registry by using something called Autoruns (a microsoft tool- also a little more extensive than just making changes from msconfig).

Next you'll want to reset IE -> control panel > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset > Select delete personal settings and reset *reboot*

For chrome and Firefox, check to make sure no add ons/extensions were installed by the malicious software.

I also generally run a sfc /scannow to make sure all OS files are intact.

If you're experiencing issues still.... time for a back up and resinstall.

Feel free to PM me with questions

-TC

Imaging a disk is far better than doing a fresh install every time you have a problem. It takes far less time. At this point in time any malware removal would gut the os, so a fresh install is in order. Going forward you can use something like Clonezill for imaging and restores. http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

Back