• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 and rad position help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2950

so i just set this up today and as you can see from the pic the rad and gfx card are very close together, cant really move anything round so just wondered if any1 had any ideas on what to do. would having the fans blow out the bottom of the case be better? currently pulling air in through the bottom and exhaust fan at top of case.

to give an idea how how close they are, i cant fit my finger between the rad and the gfx card, and i have skinny fingers lol

Attachments

• DSC_0158[2].JPG
    DSC_0158[2].JPG
    878.6 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC_0160[1].JPG
    DSC_0160[1].JPG
    795.9 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0162[1].JPG
    DSC_0162[1].JPG
    873.5 KB · Views: 662
I think you might be better off with some angle fittings. I could see a kink almost happening at one of the radiator ports on the right side of the picture. Maybe you could switch the fans to the other side of the rad to give the kinked looking tubing some more "elbow" room if you will.

Nonetheless, you should still be ok with the rad down there and the GPU right above it.

The kink isnt as bad as it looks in the pic, might move fans to top tho pushing out of the bottom. Inside the case gets pretty hot :/

That's... Wow. Not remotely optimal. I'd keep the fray air coming in through that rad. If you use case heated air, temps will be worse.

Add a rear exhaust to help case temps as airflow is also not optimal

can only fit 80mm fans on the back which im trying to stay away from. water temp build up is my problem the temps dont level out they just keep slowly climbing, i could fit a slim 120mm rad at the top but with no fans, would there be any benefit to adding a passive rad at the top?

also takes a very long time to cool down

Last edited:
Again, no airflow and that rad placement is just plain poor (not much of a choice, I know).

I know you are trying to avoid it, but if you want to resolve this problem you do not have much of a choice.

Personally, I would get a proper case or a thin rad, otherwise it is what it is.

had to go small because i travel for work, cant be luggin a massive pc round, so spent all afternoon moving the watercooling components around and finally go everything to fit. intake fan in bottom and the rad fans exhausting heat out the front works great, cant believe how just changing the airflow knocked 20-25 degrees C off my cpu and gpu temps. and i freed up space at the bottom for a thin rad with fans if needed

Attachments

• DSC_0163[1].JPG
    DSC_0163[1].JPG
    831.7 KB · Views: 146
had to go small because i travel for work, cant be luggin a massive pc round, so spent all afternoon moving the watercooling components around and finally go everything to fit. intake fan in bottom and the rad fans exhausting heat out the front works great, cant believe how just changing the airflow knocked 20-25 degrees C off my cpu and gpu temps. and i freed up space at the bottom for a thin rad with fans if needed
Gaming laptop boss... ;)

But yeah, looks MUCH better... although I am not sure why you appear to be blowing out the front of the case instead of in. What is that top fan doing?

I would follow the generally held rule of thumb here... front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust for best airFLOW and internal case temps.

no top fan now, the rad is way to hot to have it blowing in, couldn't get heat out the case, my mobo temp was above 60 and vrm temp over 80 with 1 x 140mm fan at top, but now mobo under 40 and vrm under 60 with no fan at top. cuz the case is so small you can feel the air off the bottom fan blowing out the top

Congrats on the way better temps or I like to call watercooling temps. :p I would maybe add more rad to that setup. A thin rad up top possibly or a 120.1 in the rear. I'd have the filtered parts of the case as intakes and the rest exhaust. Nonetheless, great improvements.

I hope you're leak testing again since you took the rig apart.

Congrats on the way better temps or I like to call watercooling temps. :p I would maybe add more rad to that setup. A thin rad up top possibly or a 120.1 in the rear. I'd have the filtered parts of the case as intakes and the rest exhaust. Nonetheless, great improvements.

I hope you're leak testing again since you took the rig apart.

no room at top or rear cuz of the pump/res, im happy with temps now though, maybe in few months when i clean it out i'll get a thin rad for the bottom

Back