• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer vs Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
People seems to suggest the Sabertooth, but but I have always this impression that they are overpriced.
You pay for what you get Hippo, if looking to push a Fx 83xx/9xxx chip on all 8 "cores" there's 3 boards that I know will not have an issue doing so. Asus Sabertooth, CHV/Z and Asrock Extreme 9. There are other that have on paper the ability to do so, such as the Gigabyte 990Fx UD series and also the MSi high end boards but I have seen issues with the different revisions of the Gigabyte boards and Msi may or may not have resolved their VRM sections blowing up when pushed issues. If you get the right revision of the Gigabyte Ud3 board it's a great board, but I have a really tough time recommending it. Another board that I know Atminside really likes is his Giga 970 UD3p but not knowing what you'll get makes me hesitant to say, get one.

You pay for what you get Hippo, if looking to push a Fx 83xx/9xxx chip on all 8 "cores" there's 3 boards that I know will not have an issue doing so. Asus Sabertooth, CHV/Z and Asrock Extreme 9. There are other that have on paper the ability to do so, such as the Gigabyte 990Fx UD series and also the MSi high end boards but I have seen issues with the different revisions of the Gigabyte boards and Msi may or may not have resolved their VRM sections blowing up when pushed issues. If you get the right revision of the Gigabyte Ud3 board it's a great board, but I have a really tough time recommending it. Another board that I know Atminside really likes is his Giga 970 UD3p but not knowing what you'll get makes me hesitant to say, get one.

I mean overpriced compared to competition. But maybe, it's a Intel thing...

Last edited:
Odd "manny"...

...was talking to C_D last night and been a while with him busy and me running around to my sister's in New Orleans etc. We were talking about motherboards and such and his CHV boards and what not. He had 5 CHV non-Z boards and the only real issue was the NIC might fail and a couple of his did and he RMA'd them a year or so ago and they fixed them and the boards went right back into near 24/7 service and they are still rokken while toting overclocked FX-6300s until he put some used Thuban 1090Ts in them since he believes the Thubans a little stouter for his type of actual work.

That makes 5 CHVs that are still in use day in and day out, since I have one of his original boards here myself. One of you got, I think, got his Sabertooth 990FX and that is again if I remember correctly and it should still be going strong.

I have an original Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional, that is still one very stout motherboard and the predecessor to the Asrock 990FX EXT9 motherboard. And as long as I remain running the 8 core FX processors none of the 2 types of TOP TIER AM3+ boards I have will ever be for sale. There are just not any that are any better and few that even match-up for playing with and working with.

I still do believe that the weakest FX-8350 that I have on a C-type Air Cooler at 4.6Ghz is doing that speed because it is plugged into a good CHV-Z motherboard. Two separate raid arrays on Win 7 (A beeatch); runs all 8 cores at 4.6Ghz when loaded and idles at 1.6Ghz when surfing net or writing this post and goes to sleep and wakes up with a touch of the keyboard space bar. It does not get any better than that and not nearly that good on most.

So as always, you will have to pay for what you get and the main hope is that you get what you paid for. Two and half years or so now we have kept to the standard of the Asus Sabertooth 990FX now in R2.0 and the CHV-z/non-z and the Asrock 990FX EXT9 now and the ones who get one of those can go fast IF they get real serious cooling and otherwise use their stuff. They don't have to write like the guys with the newer MSI boards and say they have NO CPU_LLC setting or Disable APM is not in bios or some other form of BS that MSI and Giga have come up with since they would not build a bad-arse VRM.

I worked every day in tech support for a motherboard maker for nearly 7 years and put everyone of that companies boards thru the paces or well nearly everyone of them for the last 4 years and the really good ones I kept in service for years. They like everyone had to make cheap boards for cheap people and often those boards acted just like some of the cheap boards we see today and that have a hard time measuring up to the strain we can put todays boards under with runs to 5.7Ghz with 8 cores when winter and cold weather and water come.

So ranked I would say:
#1 > Asus CHV-z and non-z. > 8cores WFO.
#2 > Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 > 8cores WFO.
#3 > Asrock 990FX EXT9 > 8cores WFO.
#4 > Asus M5A99 FX PRO R2.0 up to about 4.5Ghz with ALL 8 cores.

The newer MSI 970Gaming AM3+ mobos currently have no CPU_LLC setting in bios. The Asrock 990FX KILLER, has no CPU_LLC setting in bios. The latest Giga 970 UD3P (new type board) seems fair but none of us will ever have one and really push it like we have had hands-ON experience with those top 4 boards.

That just about is the most accurate assessing that we could actually do seeing users day in and day out for nearly 3 years with AMD AM3+ motherboards and really pushing the 6 but mostly 8 core FX processors.

If one were to want to blaze their own trail, then so be it. However it would seem more prudent to stay with the knowns since we have n0t seen any that were better and few that equalled that top four. For trail blazers this late in the game well, YMMV and that trail would be of their own making. No sense in asking us to help with problems later since we have not been there nor done that nor plan to go there. It is no simpler than that.
RGone...ster.

Hippogriff, I will also add to what Rgone posted. I have a Asus M5A99X Evo board, which is a really really good board if you're looking for a mild Oc on the 83xx ie. 4.5-4.7 Ghz. For benching purposes I was able to get my 8350 on H2O to 5.0 on that board but it was no where near stable. I was also not able to ever get it stable above 4.5 on that board because the 6+2 Vrm section just isn't enough when really pushing these 83xx chips. On both my Sabertooth and CHV and sub ambient water I've run my 8350 over 5.7 for benching as well as the 6300 you see below. It really boils down to what you plan to do with it, if just looking to OC mildly then the FX Pro or M5A99X are both good boards. If you're looking to really push and have the cooling to do so, the 3 boards mentioned above will do what you ask without complaint!

One of you got, I think, got his Sabertooth 990FX
:attn: that would be me Gonester and it's the board I posted this on.
Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
Been many years since I bought anything from TigerDirect. They sent me an entire computer system that was incorrect but they sent the correct system and a call tag to ship the wrong system back without costing me anything for the shipping.

The CHV-z board is the later board. Like the Sabertooth 990FX is in R2.0 now. On paper and in theory the CHV-z should be a little better but I find no fault with the non-z board when pushing FX 8 core processors. What I have not seen any of is boards coming DOA like some of those people had. Not even where there were literally hundreds of 'reviewers' of their board.

I would have no problem with the CHV-z and likely the webpage was just not changed to show the newer board.
RGone...ster.

I still have a gift card given by a friend and there is a $30 discount.

CHV-Z 185 shipped would be just slightly above the Sabertooth. But not sure about taking the risk (the non-z does not support newest cpus).

They indicate that the UPC is 610839188628

http://www.upcindex.com/610839188628

That corresponds to the CHV-Z.

Guess I'll try and if they send me the non-Z I will complain :)

Last edited:
I recently upgraded to the FX-8350 and the GA-990FX-UD3. Best I have been able to do is push the chip to 5.46 under water but the SECOND I went to run IBT it would shut down. It is right now sitting happy and stable at 4.6 on the stock voltage. Highest stable was 5.06.
My computer sleeps just fine. A quick smack of the space bar will wake it up quickly. Yes the mouse does NOT work in the BIOS (well.. it works... but just.. no.. ). That is about the only problem I have had.

5.46 under water but the SECOND I went to run IBT it would shut down.
I had a little chuckle at this Dark Apollo, and welcome. I could only imagine the voltage and cold needed to get a 8350 "stable" enough to run IBT at 5.4v. :D

Well, I am actually an old member (same name, no space) from 2003 but I cannot recover my account. The voltage was at 1.5v and it would kind of limp into windows at that speed (barely stable). At 5.06, same voltage, it would run just fine. It was really just a 'go big' run and I wanted to see how high I could get it.
But.. THANKS! :-D

DarkApollo , maybe PM one of the mods. They could probably get you hooked up with your old account again. Is IBT what you used for stability? If so there's a new one with AVX instructions that works very well for AMD. It looks just like the regular one but is more specific for the AMD View attachment IBT AVX.zip

Yeah, I use the IBT. It has really opened my eyes to how little Prime actually tests. For instance, when I had it at 4.8 at the stock voltage, it was Prime stable, but it would not pass more than 3 IBT passes before BSOD or freezing until I upped the voltage a little.
I will look in to that one. Thanks!

Ya IBT uses a lot more ram in the mix and that can really throw P95 results for a loop. P95 can be set for a ram usage as well. I use both programs now, where I was strictly a P95 guy in the past. If you want to use P95 get the version 279 or newer.

on the ch5 boards, all mine are still humping along 24/7/365 with the 1090T's in them and you might prise one out of my hands when I kick the bucket.
my intel rig that I am reconfiguring is much more powerful but that's not what I need at the shop doing what those rigs do.
I have had no issues with any of the boards other than the nic issues and asus took care of those quick and easy
saberkitty, get one, right up there with the ch5 and -z board, mandrake now owns the first release I bought and I bet it's still the awesome thing it was when I owned it.
saberkitty R2.0, get one, right up there also, now owned by another guy he seems to love it as much as I did.
let me count, I think that makes six chv-5 boards I own an love every one, even the 2 I had to send to prison!!!!

Is that my old combo manny??????
good to see they can still take getting the snot kicked out of them!!!!

Back