• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help ocing g3258 first time oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thevipper

Registered
system specs
cpu pentium g3258 with stock cooler
gpu none
mobo biostar hifi z87x 3d
psu evga 500w 80 plus
ram 4gb 2 x 2gb

my problem is when i boost the core ratio to 3.5 then 3.8 with c states off everything's fine passes intel burn test and only 1c is difference between the 2 speeds runs 53c @ 3.8 ghz at full load, but when i boosted to 4.1 it kept restarting with no post and about 1 min later it posted and had reset the setting's back to stock 3.2 ghz i dropped to 4.0 ghz and same thing tried setting ring bus to 3400 then 3500 both to no prevail.

then i read a little guide went in tovercloacker tried 4.0 ghz test it passed tried it with vcore setting to over ride then it shut down had to reset cmos and now it's fine running on stock speeds do i need to up the vcore now or what. note i never got a blue screen.

i'm trying to get 4.2-4.4 ghz on the stock cooler with temps between 60-65c if i can then i will know where to go from there to finish the system to get another 4 gb of ram and know which graphics card i can afford

thanks for any help

edit: i tried changing cpu ratio to 4.2 and 4.3 also cpu voltage mode to override and put 1200 it kept restarting then posted then reset back to stock. also tried 1300
then i tried the above with 1200 on the cpu voltage but with ring voltage mode to override and also put 1200 on it but still no prevail

edit#2: tried 3.9 ghz blue screened changed vcore to 1200 blue screened but got into windows but not long tried 1300 still blue screened was able to get into windows a little longer changed ring voltage to 1300 no blue screen tried intel burn test core temp seen 72c before it froze lowered ring voltage to 1200 same problem changed ring bus to 3.8 ghz won't boot all the way to windows maybe it's a problem with the hdd it's a seagate barracuda ST3500320AS maybe not idk it's frustrating maybe ram although it past memtest forgot to mention it's crucial 1600 1.5v ddr3 and uses 256mb x 72 if you need that maybe i got a bad processor or just noob mistakes

edit#3:tried 4.0 ghz vcore @ 1260 ring bus voltage @ 1200 passed intel burn test standard with 83c on core 0 and 77c on core 1 with core temp. guess i should start upping the core ratio by 100 mhz till it blue screens then scale back but i think the best thing to do right now is get a better cpu cooler as 83c is too hot for my liking if anyone has a recommendation on the cpu cooler in the $40 range that comes with thermal paste or a cpu cooler cheap enough to add paste myself within that budget it be nice

Last edited:
For these CPUs you need almost only vcore and CPU ratio to reach 4.5GHz. Set everything at auto, x42 CPU ratio, 1.25V CPU voltage. If it won't run stable then set higher CPU voltage.
Most of these CPUs run at 4.2GHz 1.15-1.3V, 4.5GHz 1.3-1.4V.

From other settings you may try to disable C stages and enable Turbo. Some boards need Turbo to run at higher than default CPU ratio.

Also check if there is new BIOS as G3258 needed new CPU microcode to run without problems on most motherboards.

well here's an update on it so far it's voltage was able to be dropped to 1.225 and hit 4.2 ghz and would not do 4.3 ghz with out blue screening. i will be very happy with that but no stability tests wasn't run yet as i don't feel safe till i get a cooler after reading other guides my failure's was my part of being a noob oh well every one starts somewhere.

def. too hot, definitely follow the OCguides readily available for your cpu. http://techreport.com/review/26735/overclocking-intel-pentium-g3258-anniversary-edition-processor

Hope you didn't hurt it too much getting it up to 83C :/

Artic Silver 5 (ebay) and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186093

(being on air you won't get as high or as cool as listed in that simple guide, be happy with 4.0-4.2, 5% hasn't helped anybody since the I series was launched)

i'm sure 83c wouldn't hurt it that much since intel has 100w tdp but you never know sometimes. also most of the time during the test temp was 79-81c the 83c was the highest spike core temp saw and 4.2 ghz was the least i wanted and would be very happy with that. also i haven't fully switched over to this pc yet as i'm still getting parts i just couldn't pass up a z87 mobo for 55.99 att and got the best parts i could fit in. later i will pick up an i5 4790k some time after summer time in 2015

For these CPUs you need almost only vcore and CPU ratio to reach 4.5GHz. Set everything at auto, x42 CPU ratio, 1.25V CPU voltage. If it won't run stable then set higher CPU voltage.
Most of these CPUs run at 4.2GHz 1.15-1.3V, 4.5GHz 1.3-1.4V.

From other settings you may try to disable C stages and enable Turbo. Some boards need Turbo to run at higher than default CPU ratio.

Also check if there is new BIOS as G3258 needed new CPU microcode to run without problems on most motherboards.

bios is the most updated version by biostar and those settings worked

Ok weird thing now, after I reset the cmos to use the computer while I waited to pick up the Arctic Freezer i11 cooler and some 120mm case fans, now that I got it hooked up I went to finally oc it again to 4.2ghz on 1.225 vcore like before now it keeps resetting itself again. Thinking it might be a psu problem now, I have an evga 500 watt 80+ certified psu and decided to go with a his amd 6950 turbo x since I found 1 for $69 free shipping. Using extreme vision's psu calculator it said 418w on a 20% cap aging and 450w on 30% with the overclock figured it be fine for a year till dx12 cards came out even though those calculator's are off could I have been wrong? btw the new temps on the new cooler @ stock is 26c idle 40c max load @ 3.8 ghz oc is 28c idle 48c load

edit: Tried playing assassin's creed unity on the 3.8 ghz, and I bs with in 5 mins of playing. Decided to try 1.260 vcore @ 4.2ghz it passed the intel stability test with 67c max idle was 32c which is alot better after adding the cpu cooler. After playing 20 mins of assassin's creed unity to test if I get bs again till I take the time to prime 95 for stability temp was 55c i'll give it a stability test probably tomorrow then i'll see if I can get it closer 4.5~6 ghz on that vcore just so I know where to go that's stable and i'll be happy.

Last edited:
Ok weird thing now, after I reset the cmos to use the computer while I waited to pick up the Arctic Freezer i11 cooler and some 120mm case fans, now that I got it hooked up I went to finally oc it again to 4.2ghz on 1.225 vcore like before now it keeps resetting itself again. Thinking it might be a psu problem now, I have an evga 500 watt 80+ certified psu and decided to go with a his amd 6950 turbo x since I found 1 for $69 free shipping. Using extreme vision's psu calculator it said 418w on a 20% cap aging and 450w on 30% with the overclock figured it be fine for a year till dx12 cards came out even though those calculator's are off could I have been wrong? btw the new temps on the new cooler @ stock is 26c idle 40c max load @ 3.8 ghz oc is 28c idle 48c load

edit: Tried playing assassin's creed unity on the 3.8 ghz, and I bs with in 5 mins of playing. Decided to try 1.260 vcore @ 4.2ghz it passed the intel stability test with 67c max idle was 32c which is alot better after adding the cpu cooler. After playing 20 mins of assassin's creed unity to test if I get bs again till I take the time to prime 95 for stability temp was 55c i'll give it a stability test probably tomorrow then i'll see if I can get it closer 4.5~6 ghz on that vcore just so I know where to go that's stable and i'll be happy.

Currently im running 100% stable 4.4ghz with stock Intel Cooler :shock:
Core @ 1.285v
After about 2 hours of gaming my maximum temps are;
Core 1: 69*c
Core 2: 66*c

g3258_4400ghz.jpg

When going to 4.5ghz i need 1.350v (will check tomorrow) if I remember right untill I got it stabel for use.
Max 75*c @ load. No problem gaming or so. But the temps where to hight for my liking. (still stock cooler, with Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste)

Had it running a little test at 4.6ghz, and 1.360v, but not stable on load. Max temps of 77*c. (way to high)
As you can see, the room temp was quite low (8-10*c someplace i guess) when i did this test, as the HDD is 17*c and the gpu is 26*c

g3258_4600ghz.jpg

Last edited:
Back