• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggest light weight antivirus for w8 AMD 5150 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

My mother is a virus magnet. What do I use? I don't want to use AVG. Isn't there something built into Win 8.1 that I can use?
What should I do? Thanks.

How about Windows Defender, which is included with Windows 8. And 8.1.

No antivirus will keep a computer clean if the person using it just clicks on every single crapware that comes up.

Better off to install chrome or firefox with adblock and noscript and take away admin rights.

How about Windows Defender, which is included with Windows 8. And 8.1.

No antivirus will keep a computer clean if the person using it just clicks on every single crapware that comes up.

How do I use Windows Defender. I was screwing around in there but couldn't find it. I'm still a win 8 noob.

Or buy your mother a Chromebook or Mac book

We explored those options and she wasn't into it.

Type "Windows Defender" in the start menu, enable the software (unless it's already enabled)
You're done.

It updates with Windows.

Note any third party virus scanners may kill windows defender when you try to revert. Registry mutilation... The horror the horror!

Also search function is the new way for finding anything in the win8 world. (maybe to save people the need to memorise locations... Maybe because the developers were so high they dont even know where stuff is) lol

I've heard good things about panda. One of the guys that works in my office swears by it. I have yet to try it out though.

Real-time active malware prevention engine blocks known threats
Heuristic protection prevents new zero day malware infections
Malicious website protection blocks access to known and zero day malicious web content
Automatic priority updates and scheduled scanning
Blazing fast flash scans
premium version action...

premium does block IP`s from prodding bots on open torrent ports too.
last night it tracked a spam bot trying to probe me from turkey.

Whatever software you decide on, don't leave the default settings. Most real time av software will allow to adjust the sensitivity, make blacklists, etc.

Back