• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade now or wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

It seems like my son's PC has decided to behave itself so doing an upgrade isn't such a "must-do" item at the moment. I wonder if it is a good idea to upgrade now (current PC specs on signature) or wait until Broadwell or even Skylake comes out next year? I'm only now starting to read up on both CPUs and it seems like I can safely skip Broadwell and just look forward to Skylake if i decide to upgrade.... what I can't figure out is if Skylake will be a big improvement over Haswell (4790K) or if it'll even be worth it with new motherboards and DDR4 pushing prices up....

I'm not very much tech-savvy so reading the reviews/speculation articles doesn't really make much sense to me; most of it goes over my head so if anyone can direct me to the finer points that I should pay attention to, that would be a big help.

DDR4 will drop before long.
As to how much Broadwell/Skylake will improve over Haswell, nobody knows yet.

That said, a 4790K will absolutely decimate your 750.
In multi threaded you're looking at roughly triple the performance.
Single threaded, a bit over double.

Back