• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10TB SSDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just know it won't be so soon and it won't be so cheap. Right now SSD for servers cost like 5x desktop SSD while in most cases servers need much more space. Barely any company is deciding on SSD. Every offer that I made based on enterprise SSD was rejected because of way too high price.
If we look back and read news about SSD then right now we supposed to have 3GB/s SSD in our desktop PCs and 2-3x higher capacity for about the same price. Somehow we stuck with SATA3 bandwidth for about 3 years. Prices are ~50% lower than these 2-3 years ago but it's still not so good.

What we see as new technology in news today will be introduced to the mass market in 2-3 years ( that's optimistic version ).

So what gave us SSD improvements in last 3 years ? Slightly higher random transfers and hardware encryption.
There is SATA Express for couple of months already but we haven't really seen any SATA Express SSD. M.2 SSD are using SATA3 bandwidth and limited controllers. Using old chips with new connector which gives no improvements is not counting here.

Once again I'm comming with my pessimistic comment but maybe someone will try to think outside the box ( if will be able to pass my bad English ) ;)

Once again I'm coming with my pessimistic comment but maybe someone will try to think outside the box ( if will be able to pass my bad English ) ;)

That pessimism is just experience. ;)

Robert17 has a point about 'bloat', tho. The new Wolfenstein game wants 50GB, and Win8 is bigger than ever. Heres hoping it pushes drive capacity and bus speeds.

That pessimism is just experience. ;)

Robert17 has a point about 'bloat', tho. The new Wolfenstein game wants 50GB, and Win8 is bigger than ever. Heres hoping it pushes drive capacity and bus speeds.

Here and I thought Win8 install was smaller than a Win7 install.
Win10 pre-images are smaller than that of Win8 or Win7 are.

But games are using more space, really they are using the space they have on a Blu-Ray disk now.

Personally if consumer drives reach the 1-2TB range for SSD's that will perfect for me. I know 1TB drives are out now, but cheaper in price that is. Get it into the $200 range and the smaller drives will follow for cheaper.
I mean right now I have a 512, 256 and a 128 in my home PC and a 256 in my work laptop. 512GB seems to be a nice middle ground sweet spot, good amount of apps/games/pictures/etc can fit on the drive without really worrying about space for the average person, and even above average person. The 256GB for my work laptop is to small, always cleaning out for more space and dropping it to my secondary HDD on board. You hit 1TB into the mainstream arena, and now you could have more people eyeing for it. Heck if I had a 1TB SSD on my home PC, I could rid myself of all HDD's on my computer. I'd still use HDD's for my NAS box but for PC I wouldn't need anything else.

Back