• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

router conundrum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

(Windows 7 sp1 ultimate)

Let's see... I have 3 routers. One of them is a single port router and the other two are 4 port routers.

The single port router works perfectly. As do the other 4 port routers. Except that after maybe an hour of use, the 4 port routers suddenly lose connection to the internet. Well, not really. The icon in the tray shows good, connected. The green adsl led on the router continues flickering as if something is happening, but the browsers go dead. Occasionally I can even ping a website at the command prompt, sometimes not.

I think it may be a DNS problem, but I don't understand how. I switch between various DNS settings, including Google and OpenDNS. I use the program DNS jumper, and it does not connect to any DNS server.

So I use the single port router and all is well.

Can someone give me an idea? I would like to get those 4 port routers working.

I assume that since they are only 4 port routers, that they're pretty old. My guess would be that they're crapping out on you. Do you have DHCP enabled on all 3 devices? If so, that might be causing some issues as well. Ideally you only want one 'router' in your network to handle DHCP, and everything else should just function as a switch.

setup guide to routing routers... ( rootin tootin rootin \:D/ yeah! )

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/33700-42-ultimate-modem-router-setup-thread

as pcgamer4life says... they don't last forever but check you've got them set up properly... make sure the cables are good and ports are in good physical condition.

If you need any clues then tell us what routers they are then we can inform ourselves of the setup page layout etc etc...

:)

I live in Spain. These are modem-routers. Both were given to me by my internet provider. The two routers in question should work. One is a zyxel p660hw-d1 which I reset to default configs before typing in my static IP. The other modem is brand new called HomeStation (It says on the back manufactured by ADB Broadband.)

Both of them connect at first but then just sort of "peter out". I can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Back