• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

India bans Dragon Age: Inquisition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HANDxOFxGOD

Registered
Here's an interesting topic. It seems that India has banned DA: Inquisition because of it's homosexual scenes and gereral adult content. (http://kotaku.com/ea-says-india-wont-get-dragon-age-inquisition-due-to-o-1659754229)

I figured that anybody who's going to be playing the game on next gen hardware would be downloading it anyways, but I was wrong. When you look at the disclaimer on websites like G2A.com, they sate "warning! This product is region locked and CAN'T be activated and played in India. BioWare’s latest action-adventure delivers an..."

Now, I'm totally against piracy and think it's ruined gaming in a way that can't be fixed, but do you guys think this is the type of very rare situation where you can't blame somebody for resorting to such means? Just food for thought? What would YOU do if you lived in India?

Use a proxy server to say I was in the US or whatever region I wanted....and then save up to move out of the country.

If I was my American self living in India, I'd pirate it. I don't need anyone telling me what I can and can't see/play. If I was an Indian living in India, I can't tell you what I'd do for obvious reasons - I'm not Indian and I don't live in India.

Sometimes I think piracy is a good thing. It's like with music - some international music is not allowed in the US because the distributors don't have some sort of deal for rights in the US, usually because another similar company in the US is blocking them. This is just stupid. I find music from live streams, then go to buy it online, and I get a region locked error. So if there is ever a time I would support piracy, it would be for something like this, because I know full well that "lost revenue" was likely NOT going to the artist anyway.

I don't think piracy ruined gaming, on the contrary, it's likely helping more than hurting. I feel if you produce a quality game, people will buy it. If not, people will pirate, that is until you pay for your actual bandwidth, then no one will play the game at all.

I'd pirate it... I don't listen to our gov't telling me a lot of what we can't do anymore, I mean I don't go on a killing spree, but I won't have them tell me a game I can't play. Hell I bet EA almost HAD to give a gay option, so they wouldn't be labeled homophobic, and get sued for a few billion dollars, because in the US it's almost wrong to be straight and proud of it.

So, it looks like Bioware is using DRM that can't be cracked.... at least not yet.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/70642649

I just bought the game a few days ago for PC, but I read somewhere that the DRM being used utilizes an encryption that causes way too many read/write cycles on your hard drive. I'm using an SSD, should I be concerned?

Besides that, now that it can't be cracked, what the hell do you do if you're in India? It's a great game. I would be mad as hell if my piece of **** government told me I can't play a game because of their homophobia.

You'd think that they'd promote homosexuality, because of their overpopulation problem.

That's true, didn't think about the new drm... Wonder if they might be able to get a burned copy shipped to them maybe? Don't know if the disc is even burnable with the new security. I always crack my games so I don't have to use the disks to play them, pita digging out the right disk all the time lol. I did download it while waiting for my copy to come in the mail, and should have remembered that it couldn't be cracked, but now I have the actual game, and my cpu won't run it, really wish I would have known that before lol

Duo core G3258, says minimum required is 2ghz quad core... Which is kinda odd, since it's an OC'd 4.2 or 4.3 ghz duo core, which is 8.4 or more total ghz, whereas a 2.0 quad is only 8, even oc'd it to 4.5 and it wouldn't finish loading... That's with the 7970 gpu

Aw, I'm sorry to hear. It probably uses multiple threads.

You should look at your socket type and see if there is a compatible quad core that meets requirements on Craigslist or ebay. That's what I used to do before I had a little money from internships.

There is nothing wrong with buying lightly used computer parts!

I am doing research, and it appears it doesn't need a quad CORE, but quad THREADS, if that is the case, an i3 would work, because they are duo core, hyper threaded, going to do some more research, but I think that may be my ticket...

I would gladly buy used, my GPU is used, though everything else in this build is new, just because I didn't find anything else used I'd trust, not buying a used cpu with no returns...

I'd pirate it. Personally I like to interpret the EULA however the heck I want to ;)

Many times I've downloaded games that I OWN, because they're in a box in storage, or missing. Things I've already paid money, in order to rightfully use on one machine. I've done the same with music, downloaded MP3s of what I already own on a CD... just out of lazyness. Personally I don't use any sleep over it. So I guess if you were a stickler for being "honest" but still didn't want to be told what you can and can't play, the thing to do would be buy a real copy & pirate a working copy. Not advocating anybody to do any of these things, just my opinion.

I'd pirate it. Personally I like to interpret the EULA however the heck I want to ;)

Many times I've downloaded games that I OWN, because they're in a box in storage, or missing. Things I've already paid money, in order to rightfully use on one machine. I've done the same with music, downloaded MP3s of what I already own on a CD... just out of lazyness. Personally I don't use any sleep over it. So I guess if you were a stickler for being "honest" but still didn't want to be told what you can and can't play, the thing to do would be buy a real copy & pirate a working copy. Not advocating anybody to do any of these things, just my opinion.

Makes sense, but the problem is that nobody can crack the DRM security, used for Inq, Fifa 15, and, well, something else.... Lord of the Fallen I think it was, wanted to check that out to see if I wanted to buy it, but couldn't play it...

... I'd probably move out of India if this sort of thing bothered me. If I could.
I won't steal a game, and if I were a Dragon Age junkie doing without would be hard.

That said, I dislike Dragon Age, and Bioware in general, so I'll point you towards the "Doing Without" option.

It isn't very easy to move out of a country though... And in many ways, I'm sure our gov't is as bad as theirs, probably worse... Most countries gov't don't claim to be out for the best of their people when they aren't, ours constantly insists it's trying to help us, while being as corrupt as any other out there...

It isn't very easy to move out of a country though... And in many ways, I'm sure our gov't is as bad as theirs, probably worse... Most countries gov't don't claim to be out for the best of their people when they aren't, ours constantly insists it's trying to help us, while being as corrupt as any other out there...

Our government is corrupt. As are most. But if you for one minute think the level of corruption is anywhere near Russia, or China or India. Or many Eastern European countries. Or most any third world country you are dead wrong.

I beg to differ, but I won't get into that here, don't want to jack the thread, and I'll **** quite a few of you off by pointing out facts that make me a radical, racist, tea party terrorist.... At least that's a few of the things called whenever talking politics...

No, please, hijack the thread all you want. I'm curious to know what "facts" you're referring to.

OK guys, this thread was borderline from the beginning and now has morphed into politics and warez / pirating discussions.
A couple of you just couldn't leave that alone and crossed the line.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back