• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

safely building a new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juliox

Registered
hi guys, i am building a new PC these will be my second build form scratch, but i want to make sure that i am taking good safety measures to avoid static so i´ll appreciate if you guys tell me if the next environment is good for all the building process:

- i will work on a wood table with wood chairs
- the floor has no carpet
- i will use an antistatic wrist strap and conect it not to my new case but to an old empty one that i will put on the floor, note: these old case has rust in some little parts of it
- before i start i will grab the side panel of the old case then toss it aside to get rid of any static and then put on the wrist strap.

well that is it i hope that is enough to do all the work.

the specs of my new PC are these:
CASE: Cooler Master HAF XM black
CPU: core i7 4790k
MOTHERBOARD: board asus maxumus VII hero
PSU: corsair CMPSU-750 HX
GPU: Tarjeta GTX 980 4GB from EVGA
CPU COOLER: cooler master hyper 212 evo
HHD: disco duro 2TB seagate 7200RPM
RAM: 16 gb 4X4 kingstone hyper x beast 1600mhz

Just touch anything metallic before handling your electronics and you will ground out any static current. Although understandable, your list of precautions is overkill.

thanks for the answer man, Overkill XD is just that the PC cost me a lot of money i that been saving like for 1 year XD

Like Robert said it's a little overkill but you will be fine. Looks like a pretty solid build as well. You planning on adding in a SSD in the future?

I disassembled, replaced some parts, and reassembled my Vostro (and Hadron actually) sitting in the middle of a carpeted room :p
Never used a wrist strap. Just touch the case, you'll be fine. PC parts are surprisingly resilient to static.

I disassembled, replaced some parts, and reassembled my Vostro (and Hadron actually) sitting in the middle of a carpeted room :p
Never used a wrist strap. Just touch the case, you'll be fine. PC parts are surprisingly resilient to static.

I've done the same. I don't even own a wrist strap lol

yes i will add some stuff like a SSD and maybe another GTX980 when i save more money that is why the PSU is 750W

Back