• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage iv extreme POST error code 5A & B2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

borkaman

My build
Case: Corsair 900D
CPU: i7 3930K
MB: Rampage IV Extreme
Cooler:Swiftech H220X
RAM:G.skill 4x2GB 8gb 1600mhz http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c9d-8gab
GPU:gigabyte gtx 980 4gb g1 gaming
PSU:Seasonic 1250W Gold
SSD:Samsung 840 pro 256GB
Monitor: 28" Samsung U28D590D 4k

Before i am beggining to explain my issue this issue has began 2-3 weeks ago and then it started to bother me every single day
I've build many pc, never encountered this annoy issue before. When I cold power the pc, it cycles debug code and then it resets and get stuck at B2 (Legacy Option ROM Initialization). At this point I must turn off the pc by pressing the power button, then turn on pc by pressing power button again and it will boot into windows. So basically every time I want to use my computer I need 4 resets, what is up with that?

Before I made this post I did look into B2 code error however those people had this problem couldn't boot at all, I can boot just annoying 4 resets to get into windows, so I'm not sure if this is by design or something is going wrong. I can sort of live with this issue as my pc is still usable and I'm posting it from it, but I never had this much trouble to turn on a pc before.

Things iv'e tried so far:
1.I tried with another gtx 980 same issue.
2.Moved the gpu to another pcie slot and same issue.
3.Updated to the latest bios version same issue.
4.Bought a new memory kit same issue.
5.Clear CMOS same issue.
6.Reseat CPU same issue.
7.tried to play with UEFI settings in the bios same issue.
8.tried different bios same issue.

the only thing left so far is the motherboard do you think my motherboard is causing the issue?should i RMA it?
thank you

Last edited:
Your SSD, how long have you had it and have you updated the firmware/software for it? There is an issue with that model that has only recently been addressed by Samsung.

Your SSD, how long have you had it and have you updated the firmware/software for it? There is an issue with that model that has only recently been addressed by Samsung.
hmmm i have it about a year or so?and samsung magician says that i am using the latest firmware DXM06B0Q

Been pondering on it. ROM (Read Only Memory) related issues are usually BIOS-type chips. These can be updated as you know. Sometimes they can become corrupt as well. Think about any upgrades, updates, anything like that you may have done lately, or should have done but haven't gotten to. Is that 980 card new? Does the manufacturer have their own proprietary BIOS? Do they have any updates on their site? Just thinking at the keyboard here.......

Been pondering on it. ROM (Read Only Memory) related issues are usually BIOS-type chips. These can be updated as you know. Sometimes they can become corrupt as well. Think about any upgrades, updates, anything like that you may have done lately, or should have done but haven't gotten to. Is that 980 card new? Does the manufacturer have their own proprietary BIOS? Do they have any updates on their site? Just thinking at the keyboard here.......
The upgrades only was the gpu that's it..but like i said i also tried friends gpu and same problem...so i really don't know what to do i checked i am using the latest gpu bios version...this error driving me nuts

From what I've been reading there seems to be a number of folks with Legacy ROM Initialization problems. And no firm solutions. The latest ASUS BIOS is 4901 dated 18June14; if you have that one you have the latest.

Do you have the latest drivers for your USB ports?

You put a friend's 980 in to check, but did you put your older video card back in and if so, did it work?

Have you tried setting everything in your BIOS to 'default' and if so, were there any improvements?

This could be a defective MB, hard to say. Your BIOS may allow you to disable legacy firmware baked into the board; mine doesn't, but it's something to check.

From what I've been reading there seems to be a number of folks with Legacy ROM Initialization problems. And no firm solutions. The latest ASUS BIOS is 4901 dated 18June14; if you have that one you have the latest.

Do you have the latest drivers for your USB ports?

You put a friend's 980 in to check, but did you put your older video card back in and if so, did it work?

Have you tried setting everything in your BIOS to 'default' and if so, were there any improvements?

This could be a defective MB, hard to say. Your BIOS may allow you to disable legacy firmware baked into the board; mine doesn't, but it's something to check.
i am using the latest 4901 bios.
Yes i am using the latest USB ports,i don't have anymore the old gpu because i sold it.like i said earlier i cleared bios means it did reset everything to defaults and same issue.
i am not sure if you can disable legacy firmware or what ever i tried to play with every single settings and same problem...

No solution but the exact same problem for me. I get the "b2" error code, the "vga led" lights up red and there's nothing happing on the screen. This is on a brand new computer that is store build.
I only get this error sometimes, about every fifth time I start up, but it seems like it's becoming more and more frequent.

The graphics card is indeed sagging down a bit although everything is still brand new. I hope this is not the case, but the error code "b2" might get more frequent as time and gravity takes it's toll. Sagging with age issue perhaps, where have I heard of that before...

Specs:

Fractal Desing R5
Asus x99-a
Intel Core i7 5820K
Cooler master 212 EVO
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970
Crucial ballistix sport DDR4 RAM 32gb
Samsung EVO 850 250gb SSD
Corsair RM750

Last edited:
i am using the latest 4901 bios.
Yes i am using the latest USB ports,i don't have anymore the old gpu because i sold it.like i said earlier i cleared bios means it did reset everything to defaults and same issue.
i am not sure if you can disable legacy firmware or what ever i tried to play with every single settings and same problem...

borkaman, Did you found a solution to your problem ? Im having exact same problem, very annoying indeed. Restarting my pc 4-5 times to to access windows normaly. I have the same MB, with intel 5960x cpu and nvidia gtx 980. Please let me know if you the fix.

appreciate your thread.

Back