• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where is my bottleneck? (specs inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyian

So im curious. I was wanting to perhaps upgrade my cpu to an i7This one, to be exact, but found there is a newer one out (so newegg tells me. Except, my current board is "LGA 1155", whcih im guessing, even tho its close in number, that LGA 1150 is a different size, and thus, would not fit.

But is my CPU my current bottleneck? What is suggested to be my next upgrade (ie, what is my worst bottleneck atm)? Its not a rush right now, but im trying to keep my system up to date for the up coming Star Citizen. (note, i never did manage to pick up a 2nd video card for x-fire)

Thanks in advance.

Are both your GPUs the 2GB models? You should be good to go. How high is your CPU overclocked? I run a 980 on a 2600K so CPUs from 2011 are still very usable. No sense upping your GPU if anything ditch your GPUs and grab a single 980. HTH.

There is no point in buying a 3770K at this point. If you are going to upgrade MoBo and CPU make it current.

The 6950 is the real limiting factor. Pick up a 970 (I don't see the 980 being worth the huge price jump)

That being said, Star citizen is going to be a system killer. You do meet the recommended specs as far as CPU goes (LINK to SC website specs).

There is no point in buying a 3770K at this point. If you are going to upgrade MoBo and CPU make it current.

The 6950 is the real limiting factor. Pick up a 970 (I don't see the 980 being worth the huge price jump)

That being said, Star citizen is going to be a system killer. You do meet the recommended specs as far as CPU goes (LINK to SC website specs).

All of this +1

Unless they have changed what they support, i prefer the ATi cards due to my monitor setup. When i purchased my 6950, nVididia cards didnt support different resolution displays for (their surround) Eyefinity. My 3-24's is what i use, but from what i read, my 19" i have wouldnt allow me to turn it on at all unless i completely disconnected it.

Theocnoob

Theocnoob said:
Are both your GPUs the 2GB models? You should be good to go. How high is your CPU overclocked? I run a 980 on a 2600K so CPUs from 2011 are still very usable. No sense upping your GPU if anything ditch your GPUs and grab a single 980. HTH.

I dont have 2 of them, i only have 1.

I run four monitors with my 980. Three in Surround, one as a standalone

Unless they have changed what they support, i prefer the ATi cards due to my monitor setup. When i purchased my 6950, nVididia cards didnt support different resolution displays for (their surround) Eyefinity. My 3-24's is what i use, but from what i read, my 19" i have wouldnt allow me to turn it on at all unless i completely disconnected it.

I run four monitors with my 980. Three in Surround, one as a standalone

Can you run different resolutions on each monitor?
Kinda dumb if you can't TBH.

I can set a different resolution for the fourth monitor, yes.

How do you have them hooked up? I mean using what ports? My current setup I have 2 display ports, and 2 DVI, which i've been told using the DVI as my 3rd is likely causing the screen tearing i see when i use Eyefinity, and the way to fix it, was to have all 3 in the Eyefinity group, use DP. Yet its nearly impossible to find a single card that has 3+ display ports on it.

I've got three DisplayPort and one DVI in use.
To my knowledge all of the 980's have 3x DisplayPort, 1x DVI, and 1x HDMI.

He would need an AMD GPU to run eyefinity with different res monitors.

Wait and see what the "R9 3XX(?)" or whatever AMD plans on coming out with to replace the R9 2XX cards. Or pick up a cheap 280/X

He would need an AMD GPU to run eyefinity with different res monitors.

Wait and see what the "R9 3XX(?)" or whatever AMD plans on coming out with to replace the R9 2XX cards. Or pick up a cheap 280/X

He never mentioned running different resolutions within the set of three monitors, just looking for the auxiliary monitor to be different.

He never mentioned running different resolutions within the set of three monitors, just looking for the auxiliary monitor to be different.

When i first got the card this was the case (running different resolutions). Now the three in the eyefinity group are all the same resolution, but the 4th isnt. I know the older nvidia cards had a restriction that every display hooked up, needed to be the same resolution. Not sure if that is the case anymore.

When i first got the card this was the case (running different resolutions). Now the three in the eyefinity group are all the same resolution, but the 4th isnt. I know the older nvidia cards had a restriction that every display hooked up, needed to be the same resolution. Not sure if that is the case anymore.

You can absolutely do that :)
Either the 970 or 980 would serve you very well!

You can absolutely do that :)
Either the 970 or 980 would serve you very well!

Weird, 3 full size display ports :| i would need new cables lol.

So at this moment, what makes nVidia better than ATi?

Tho i may hold off on any upgrades until closer to SC full release, as it appears it wouldn't be worth it to upgrade my cpu as its past the point of current possessor comparability :|

Weird, 3 full size display ports :| i would need new cables lol.

So at this moment, what makes nVidia better than ATi?

Tho i may hold off on any upgrades until closer to SC full release, as it appears it wouldn't be worth it to upgrade my cpu as its past the point of current possessor comparability :|

Both the 970 and 980 are faster than the 290X, while using at least 100W less power.
And they overclock to huge levels.

Either the 970 or 980 will pair nicely with the 2500K. Especially if you've overclocked it.

Back