• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r9 280x 3GB OC stuck at 950 Mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, it's not exactly the answer you are looking for - but why don't you just overclock it to 1070 to test/just run at?
That shouldn't be too outlandish of a goal for a 280x.

Ok you need to put a load on the gpu in order for GpuZ to read the correct Mhz. In idle your card shows 950Mhz @ 16% GPU load as shown in post # 18. When GPU is under load @ 100%, then GpuZ will show the correct Mhz which is 1070Mhz. Softwares don't actually read 100% accurate, but GpuZ is right in the ballpark of where it's supposed to be.

Your video card is running normally. Enjoy your games.

Ok you need to put a load on the gpu in order for GpuZ to read the correct Mhz. In idle your card shows 950Mhz @ 16% GPU load as shown in post # 18. When GPU is under load @ 100%, then GpuZ will show the correct Mhz which is 1070Mhz. Softwares don't actually read 100% accurate, but GpuZ is right in the ballpark of where it's supposed to be.

Your video card is running normally. Enjoy your games.

I have the same problem with the r9 280x oc, and even when I'm running the GPU stress test on FurMark, the core clock maxes out at 950Mhz and mem clock at 1250Mhz, even when setting the clocks to core 1116Mhz and mem 1352Mhz on the MSI Afterburner.

GPU-Z even shows the same clocks as the Afterburner on the Graphics Card tab, but the Sensors tab shows that the clocks haven't gone over 950Mhz core clock or 1250Mhz mem clock...

Edit: I reset the core to default 1072Mhz and now the Afterburner shows spikes reaching the 1072Mhz and then returning to 950Mhz. And when I added 50Mhz to the mem clock (1300Mhz) the core clock drops to 600Mhz.

Last edited:
Furmark is a bad program to use as I found out recently. It has a tendency to max the power limit and throttle the card.

R9290.PNG

Which brings me to point 1. Increase the power limit to whatever its maximum is.
2. You can use GPU-z to put a load on the card, start by clicking the question mark beside the "bus interface" entry. Then select "Start render test" on the window that opens
3. Unigine Heaven 4.0 has its own overlay that tells you the GPU speed in real time. I have found it reasonably accurate. Never used "1.0" So I don't know if it has it or not.

Last edited:
do not use furmark at all, use valley or heaven, run them windowed and show gpu-z on top and it should boost to 1070 when the bench loads it, that's when it counts.

hey, dunno if anyone will see this since this thread is from 2014, but it's worth a try. i have r9 280 3x windforce OC and i have the same problem... i ran heaven and core clock is stuck up to 950 no matter how much i overclock or stress it, and i lost access to changing core memory all of a sudden from the new amd drivers. what did u do eventually?

Back