• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Far Cry 4 looks Amazing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I played a good portion of the game with just a bow with the marksman reticle and side arm (silenced pistol with red dot). I've always played these games with the stealth approach, it's much more fun than the run-and-gun style of lots of games. When I unlocked the sniper rifle that could use a silencer I used it almost exclusively. Granted, I played on 'normal' mode, probably would have been more difficult on hard.

+1, I did a lot of that in Far Cry 3.
Lots of knife, bow, and silenced weapon kills for me.

Haha, in FC3 I spent most of the time 300 yards away with a silenced sniper rifle taking down camps. Had an awesome time doing it.

I just want to play this through, then i'll play it again on hard difficulty and will try and silence my way through just about everything. Suppressed sniper and pistol with the bow sound like the only 3 things you would need. Granted I love having fun with Mines and C4 :D

Haha, in FC3 I spent most of the time 300 yards away with a silenced sniper rifle taking down camps. Had an awesome time doing it.

Upgrading to the 50 cal. was a blast literally!

Game was a blast, this and shadow of mordor is best two games I have played this year. I played it through on normal first time, took 33 hours, but I did most of side stuff. Playing it second time through now, going with alternate choices and using hard setting.. it is even better on hard makes you a little more cautious and have to think sometimes. So far I havent had any bugs or stuttering on my 1200 core single titan with all settings on Ultra but decreased AA as I do in all games. And yeah getting better bow early and getting crafting done + towers gives you the tools to have more fun.
I'm impressed...Playing on Normal and it is taking me literally an hour to accomplish one mission. (Or in the case of the last camp giving up)I am seeing pet animals in the camps as the main problem.

In two of the camps the animals I draw in with bait just wander the camp peacefully alongside the merc's. In another, 20 times I opened a Tiger cage to have the tiger not only ignore the bad guys but travel 100's of yards and around cliffs to come get me??? Stealthing the camps just seems impossible. I am astonished at the number of mercs in a camp(prior to the alarm)I am wondering if they purposely did this to keep one from straying too far out. These are "Easy" one alarm camps I am referring to.

That first Hunter camp that you need to do if you do what the gal wants(Intel). Holy smokes those guys have great AI. I assume the animals are their pets...even though the game immediately suggests you throw bait into the camp. I stealth a few guys and the wolf...throw bait get a leopard and it makes a beeline for where ever I am at. After it spots me, it apparently relays the info to more Hunters and I am swarmed...(Finally did stealth it around the 15th try).

Its not much fun....Not being able to get out out of a mission is also a fun killer...and forget about the save system.

On the plus side I could take out the camps with the "Buzzer" and a grenade launcher...but that doesn't seem much fun. Also its a stellar looking game on a GTX 970. (Ultra)

Anyone have advice, I am all ears. My loadout seems adequate. Recurve bow(reflex sight), Silenced A.J.M 9 Uplay pistol. One of the early SVD sniper rifle's, and AK47.

Am I just going about it wrong?

EDIT: It just occurred to me...Do some of these camps have "Hunters" in them? That would explain why the tiger attacks me instead of them. I'll try a different camp and see if it occurs again with a different camp and animal.

Last edited:
Just sounds like another badly designed Ubisoft game. I only got it cuzz it was free with my 980.
Free here as well, tho the only reason I got the GTX 970 was to get this game. Anyway i have been reading about others with this problem...and i think I just need to go full force with a couple of the camps and free more bell towers, and build up my skill tree and crafting a bit. I'll worry about stealthing my second camp after I beef up. Its all about problem solving.:)

After thinking about it I only stealthed a handful of camps in FC3. I think i am expecting too much too early in the game.

This game seems almost closer to Just Cause 2 than FC3. A grapple hook and glider would have been more appropriate to this world. Like the kind they used in JC2. Wouldn't have to find a buzzer than.

Last edited:
Your assumption was the correct, the camps you had issues with had hunters in them that can tame the beasts. You have to take them out first.

I hardly consider it poorly designed (as ocnoob suggests...) I would just say more balanced than FC3 where you could win almost every engagement by letting out a lion.

Its not much fun....Not being able to get out out of a mission is also a fun killer.
On PC hit esc and there is an abort mission selection (not sure exactly what it's called). Took me a while to figure that out, got stuck on the first mission for the guy where you have to protect a camp from a Hunter attack - screw that mission.

Does Windows report a bus error in the event log? If so, I think it's the bus termination voltage, which seems to go by "VTT" on the forums.

Your assumption was the correct, the camps you had issues with had hunters in them that can tame the beasts. You have to take them out first.

I hardly consider it poorly designed (as ocnoob suggests...) I would just say more balanced than FC3 where you could win almost every engagement by letting out a lion.
Those guys always have bows correct? There was one near the cage, I stealthed, but I can't remember if I ever released the Tiger after I took him out....I hope there is only one in the easier camp. That AI sees through bushes but I swear they could see through rocks as well! Godawful flaming arrows!

I have an overwhelming amount of mission start spots now(Finished Act 1)...Can anyone recommend a starting character? I'm inclined just to go off hunting/crafting. Thinking maybe certain mission's will ask me to do that. I love the hunting!
Or should I continue using the Buzzer to open bell towers?

Last edited:
I haven't played it yet, just going by what I've heard oh podcasts. I believe they have at least a bow and can stealth I think?

GiantBomb, RebelFM, IGN GameScoop are the 3 big gaming ones I listen to :)

Can anyone recommend a starting character? I'm inclined just to go off hunting/crafting. Thinking maybe certain mission's will ask me to do that. I love the hunting!
Or should I continue using the Buzzer to open bell towers?

That's the route I went. I only did I think the first mission (a far as you have to go before you can explore the southern map) picked up a recurve bow and started hunting and crafting as u got the towers open. I had all the bell towers and small camps done before starting the main story.

And the hunters do suck, they all have a bow as far as I've seen, they can see you through foliage and it doesn't alert you when they detect you. They are in quite a few camps and usually at least 2 if they are there, the outposts are definitely more of a challenge than they were in 3 where you could find a perch and snipe almost very camp.

That's the route I went. I only did I think the first mission (a far as you have to go before you can explore the southern map) picked up a recurve bow and started hunting and crafting as u got the towers open. I had all the bell towers and small camps done before starting the main story.

And the hunters do suck, they all have a bow as far as I've seen, they can see you through foliage and it doesn't alert you when they detect you. They are in quite a few camps and usually at least 2 if they are there, the outposts are definitely more of a challenge than they were in 3 where you could find a perch and snipe almost very camp.
Its always amazing what a day can do...I wandered off in the bush and hunted with the recurve...just hunted and wandered on my way to the first camp with the Buzzer... than took a couple bell towers, and camps. None seemed so hard as the one last night. I did the hostage missions that were available in the save house, they were fun. Started flying around taking down propaganda posters. Ignored the events that came up while I was busy doing something else. Used an elephant to hunt Rhino's, that worked well! My saves all seemed to work, so I didn't have to redo work...It went well and now I'm enjoying it.:thup:

Need a bigger gun...

Back