• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I make sacrifices to fit an SSD into my build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dazza216

Registered
Hi all,

So I'm planning on building a new PC and I'm wondering should I get an i5 4690K with a Z97 motherboard but leave out the 120GB SSD

or

get an i5 4460 with a H97 motherboard and get the SSD.

I know it doesn't improve performance in gaming in terms of FPS but will the shorter load times be worth it compared to the better performance of the 4690K?

Thanks.

An SSD is a really nice thing to have. If you shut down your computer often you will really appreciate the fast boot. A 120 gig will hold you OS and older games but the new titles are huge. (40 gigs for FarCry 4) So not many games will fit on them anymore.

The added performance that you would get from overclocking the 4690K would push me in that direction. You can always save for a 240 gig SSD and add it later for a game drive. Even the 500 gig SSD's are at a reasonable price these days.

I generally find an SSD to make the biggest difference to the general usability of a machine - I would aim to get one, or aim to add one as soon as you can. The HDD you use in the mean time wouldn't be wasted - it can be re-purposed as a storage drive when you get the SSD. (This is what I did for my laptop - put the 256 GB SSD in it, and moved the 500 GB HDD to the Ultrabay slot to use as a storage drive)

I would build the stronger system and add the SSD when you can.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think the K build would be worth it in the long run. An SSD can be added later (which wouldn't be that long, maybe 6 months away.) I'll try to get a 250GB SSD when I'm able to afford it.

Agreed with everyone else. The performance increase with an SSD is huge, but save for a month or so and snag a 120 or 256gb one and port your OS onto it. You wont regret it.

PLEASE, start with a 250 gig ssd and skip 120 gig and smaller.
I started with 60 gig ssd's, what a joke they are now, you run out of room so fast.
your building to game? what games and what gpu?

Back