• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first build- gaming pc up to $1000, looking for suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patsrule316

Registered
Hi everybody,

I am looking to build my first computer as a project with my 10 year old son as an assistant. I don't think we need anything too extreme. My main purpose for use on the computer would be to play roleplaying games (specifically, I want to play the new Wasteland and Legend of Grimrock games (and have them looking sharp, and other games as well, but am not worrying about things like competitive multiplayer shooters), plus I need to be able to use it for work when I am home, so I need to have Excel and Word able to run.

I can budget up to $1000 for this project, but I don't know that I will need that much. I have never tried to build my own computer before, so it is a little daunting, but I did see the 'How to build a PC thread' and that looks like a great help. I am looking for suggestions/input on what I should be getting, and any advice you have to give.

Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I am looking to build my first computer as a project with my 10 year old son as an assistant. I don't think we need anything too extreme. My main purpose for use on the computer would be to play roleplaying games (specifically, I want to play the new Wasteland and Legend of Grimrock games (and have them looking sharp, and other games as well, but am not worrying about things like competitive multiplayer shooters), plus I need to be able to use it for work when I am home, so I need to have Excel and Word able to run.

I can budget up to $1000 for this project, but I don't know that I will need that much. I have never tried to build my own computer before, so it is a little daunting, but I did see the 'How to build a PC thread' and that looks like a great help. I am looking for suggestions/input on what I should be getting, and any advice you have to give.

Thanks!

~Location (country)
~Are you near a microcenter store?
~Do you need a copy of Windows?
~Do you need a monitor?
~Do you need speakers?
~Do you need a mouse/keyboard?
~Are you ok with ordering online from multiple sources to get the best overall price?

Location (country) - USA
~Are you near a microcenter store? - The Fairfax, VA store is 2 miles from my office where I work
~Do you need a copy of Windows? - I will, yes.
~Do you need a monitor? - I will, but that isn't part of my budget. I will get that with a gift card I receive at Christmas
~Do you need speakers? - No. I have speakers
~Do you need a mouse/keyboard? - I will need a keyboard, and probably a mouse, too
~Are you ok with ordering online from multiple sources to get the best overall price? - Probably, at least to an extent.

Don't forget about tax at Microcenter, ocnoob.
Still a great deal, but you've gotta add that in.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into those parts. Everything I have heard says make sure the power supply can is strong enough. I wanted to double check that the Corsair CX500 is strong enough. Also, there were a couple of custom items on there that looked like they were from the U.K. What are those?

Lastly, I know that we need heat paste and a static band. Are there any other supplies we will need?

Thanks!

The 500 would be if not overclocking. Ocnoob picked a pretty good build I'm an advocate for a little more wiggle room with power supplies.

Static band is personal preference. I've never used one. Just make sure to touch the case before building and don't build on carpet. As far a thermal poster as5 is still a good choice but there are better out now

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx
$264 for 4690K + ASRock Extreme 4

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/GpVLrH

Ignore the stuff in GBP. It is an error. This is $578 + 264 = $842

That leaves enough for a nice mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse.

If you want an upgrade add an SSD, 128GB, such as an 840 EVO or MX100

The CX 500 is "enough" but if you want quality I strongly advocate a Seasonic G550 or G650. It'll cost you a bit more but is a MUCH higher quality part.

I changed a couple of things around...Lowered the graphics card a little, raised the power supply, and switched to a different case, but stayed with the same basic suggestions. This is what I think I will go with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GVL9FT

Does this look ok? Any tips or info?

Thanks

the 750 watt psu is a bit large, but that is good. heck, i fold on a pair of 7970's, (280x) with a 600 watt.
I would think about a larger ssd, you will find that they fill faster than you think. I have settled on 240 gig ssd's.

Do NOT use AS5. It is an inferior compound. Long cure time, capacitive, poor performance. Get NTH1 or MX4.

Get an R9 290. They're $250 and oblitterate 280X. Hardcore.

The PSU is unnecessary overkill get the 600W version.

Do not use a USB wifi adapter. Much better off with a PCIE version.

Allright...I started my build today. I put in the motherboard, cpu, and the 212 evo. For a first timer, it is not easy, and really nerve wracking. Thankfully, we have the how to build a computer thread, which is talking me through it. I think I got the motherboard and cpu put in right, and always grounded myself, so I never passed any static. I am not sure that I did the fan, correctly, though. I did put in the heat paste and mount the fan...I just worry if I didn't use the paste right or line things up the right way. I did use the NtH1 paste, and did get a pcie wireless adapter as well.

I still have a lot to do and figure out, but at least I am started.

I got the Corsair CX750. I know it might be overkill, but it wasn't much higher than the cost of the 600, and I'd rather play it safe.

Its not a horrible unit. Could have gone better for the money though. Hope you got a good deal, and yeah it'll definitely give you some wiggle room.

We made more progress today. We put in the ram, DVD drive, Hard Drive, SSD drive, and graphics card. We also connected the three case fans' wires to the motherboard, connected the USB3.0 cable, the power LED cables, reset cable, power switch, and HD LED wires to the motherboard (not 100% sure they are in the right direction, but I think they are. Does anyone know if the triangle on the switches with two holes points to positive or negative? I assumed they were positive)

Tomorrow, I need to do the power supply and both the power and data cables. The cables are my big worry for tomorrow, as they look pretty confusing. But we are grinding our way through. And as always, I will read and appreciate any advice or words from people who have done this before.

We made more progress today. We put in the ram, DVD drive, Hard Drive, SSD drive, and graphics card. We also connected the three case fans' wires to the motherboard, connected the USB3.0 cable, the power LED cables, reset cable, power switch, and HD LED wires to the motherboard (not 100% sure they are in the right direction, but I think they are. Does anyone know if the triangle on the switches with two holes points to positive or negative? I assumed they were positive)

Tomorrow, I need to do the power supply and both the power and data cables. The cables are my big worry for tomorrow, as they look pretty confusing. But we are grinding our way through. And as always, I will read and appreciate any advice or words from people who have done this before.

Normally, the colored wires (the ones other than black or white) go to the positive pin. Only matters with LEDs, not with Power or Reset switch connectors or motherboard speaker.

Back