• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to restart Folding? New rig maybe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckerants

I've been away from F@H for a few years and I still have the rig I built to Fold in my sig (except for running stock CPU speed). I've been getting the itch to Fold and to build a new rig.

I'd like to keep the PSU and the GPU for now but replace everything else. What's the most bang for the buck now, Intel or AMD?

TIA

amd looks to be the way to go, 7970/280x, buy used miners you'll get in on the cheap.
go read the mining threads, they will give you the info on what to get and how to tweek them to keep the operating costs down.

amd looks to be the way to go, 7970/280x, buy used miners you'll get in on the cheap.
go read the mining threads, they will give you the info on what to get and how to tweek them to keep the operating costs down.

'nuff said :thup:

Orrrrrrr
Buy a 970/980 and get 200 +Kppd IIRC.

Yes, cryptocurrency: Bitcoin.

Online money in it's simplest terms.
You use GPU's to generate "mine" these coins.

Although, now you need special hardware designed to mine, so "miners" are dumping - selling their GPU's dirt cheap.

These GPU's have been mining for months without a break usually. So 100% GPU usage for months on end.
Folding would be the same way - 100% usage for months.

Back