• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC game sales: declining percentage of total sales?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'm curious what the trends are in video game sales in terms
of platform. Are PC's as a video game platform a continuously
declining percentage of total video games sales?
I have to imagine the vast majority of video game sales
are now on consoles (although at some point that might
not have been true).
I almost wonder if video game developers spend more
time porting their titles to previous console generations than
they do porting their titles to the PC.

Dead on. All the money is going to consoles now cause coders are too lazy. With PCs they have to deal with a multitude of hardware setups. Console on the other hand are all same.

Valve will change that with Steam Boxes though and Steam OS. Linux and Unreal 4 FTW!!!

where the beating the dead horse emote?
seriously though this comes up often.

the summary usually winds up being a lot of people aren't counting sales through digital distribution (steam, that crappy EA one ect) so you get a lot of conflicting info
the kicker to bringing it up now is that both PS4 and xbone are both mid range PCs in tiny boxes with funky OSs, possibly even stripped down versions of windows and/or Linux so "ports" should be easier

where the beating the dead horse emote?
seriously though this comes up often.

the summary usually winds up being a lot of people aren't counting sales through digital distribution (steam, that crappy EA one ect) so you get a lot of conflicting info
the kicker to bringing it up now is that both PS4 and xbone are both mid range PCs in tiny boxes with funky OSs, possibly even stripped down versions of windows and/or Linux so "ports" should be easier

Plz do not utter the word port ;)

Interesting. Do those numbers account for the bajillion players playing F2P games, and the massive revenue from those? The market is fine if you ask me.

Interesting. Do those numbers account for the bajillion players playing F2P games, and the massive revenue from those? The market is fine if you ask me.

You mean n00b candy and farm games? You call that PC gaming?

dont forget all the freemium games like tf2, Rift, Archeage, LOTR online, etc

Yeah but at least TF2 is a true PC game. Valve just made it freemium anyways recently. But yeah I see what you mean, I think TF2 is kinda stupid I liked TFC old school much better.

PC Gaming is alive and well, Look at your friends lists on Steam sometime, I own 75 or so games, I thought I had alot. I have people on my friends lists with 200+. Im not sure any of these numbers are even taking that in. I would like to see also the sales of Nvidia and AMD on gaming level through the mainstream, performance and enthusiast level video cards. It would be further proof it's doing quite well. It's easy to see how well the hardware sells when new versions are released and you cannot find a card to buy for weeks from selling out of stock so quickly, I waited a good month to get both my 970's, I had to buy them in separate places etc.

As others said, the numbers don't/rarely take into consideration sales from digital outlets. As that % continues to grow, in comparison to B&M stores, the numbers will look worse. It also doesn't consider the fact that there are many F2P games, as well as subscription-model games that absorb a lot of funds every month/year (think of WoW with millions of subscribers, most game publishers would love for one of their games to earn as much in a game's lifetime as WOW does in one month).

As others said, the numbers don't/rarely take into consideration sales from digital outlets. As that % continues to grow, in comparison to B&M stores, the numbers will look worse. It also doesn't consider the fact that there are many F2P games, as well as subscription-model games that absorb a lot of funds every month/year (think of WoW with millions of subscribers, most game publishers would love for one of their games to earn as much in a game's lifetime as WOW does in one month).
WOW is so n00b imho

...okay... thanks for the feedback and reasoning for why it is 'so n00b'.

I definitely had some of my most challenging gaming moments in WoW, not for myself doing something perfectly alone, but managing to get 9/24/39 other people to all be on the same page and to also do their jobs perfectly to succeed.

Granted, I haven't played since Cataclysm launched (burnt out by the end of Wrath of the Lich King), but still occasionally get the pull to go back and level my characters and have fun with my old guildmates.

...okay... thanks for the feedback and reasoning for why it is 'so n00b'.

I definitely had some of my most challenging gaming moments in WoW, not for myself doing something perfectly alone, but managing to get 9/24/39 other people to all be on the same page and to also do their jobs perfectly to succeed.

Granted, I haven't played since Cataclysm launched (burnt out by the end of Wrath of the Lich King), but still occasionally get the pull to go back and level my characters and have fun with my old guildmates.

I just think RPGs are n00b. Especially one that still makes gazillions after 10 years....
Heh, I really only like FPS games. THe click this throw magic spell of mordor at my enemy thing of an RPG is too stupid for me.

Oblivion was alright played it for 30 min and at least it was more fps like.

I had that opinion a decade ago before I actually gave them a fair shot. It's a different gameplay for sure, but it brings along its own challenges that you don't get with an fps.

Back