• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

choosing case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

hi,
I'm planning to build a PC desktop.
Do i simply pick a cool design case and it would work with any components i will be getting?

Thank you

No, it's more involved than you think.

It's not that you simply choose a case that you like the looks of, you also have to make sure that it is large enough to fit your motherboard, wide enough to fit your CPU cooler/heatsink, and has enough fan ports for you to mount fans with which to keep your components running cool. Then there's also making sure that it can fit your chosen power supply (some are longer than others), and making sure it can fit all of your solid state drives and/or hard disk drives. And making sure there is enough clearance from the back of the case to the drive cages in which to fit your graphics card.

Plus there may be a few other things you need to be aware of which I may have forgotten.

You also get what you pay for just like everything. If you buy a 40-50 case it won't be quite as sturdy as more expensive cases.

And make sure that if you plan to do a custom water cooling setup it has the space to accommodate your radiators even if you just go with an aio unit it will likely need room.

But also make sure you get one that looks good to you. Look around, do research on what all you want and will need with a case and choose what is right for you. Don't just buy one because it's cheap or it looks cool because it may not have everything you need or it may be overkill.

Well that cooler would not be much better than the stock one. And switch to the wd caviar black 1tb hdd.

Also what all with this setup be used for?

Well that cooler would not be much better than the stock one. And switch to the wd caviar black 1tb hdd.

Also what all with this setup be used for?
Should i erase all the ssd and keep only hdd?
What do u suggest for a cooler or do i even need one?

Ill be using it for ps cc or cs6 , illustrator and alias 3d program.
I need it fast. No lagging. Open fast. No slowing down. Soundless like mac..for 800 to 1k lol

I wouldn't get rid of the SSD but add one and make it a 500GB. Also are you planning to Overclock? If not you would be ok with the stock heatsink.

Thanks for your fast reply.i need to set things up before black friday haha.
i dont know anything about computers like this but with the processor i have listed, it should be fast enough for 3D program.so overclocking shouldnt be necessary.
is there anything i should get rid of from the list or or downgrade or change?

I'd swap out that 780 gpu for a 970, go with at least 1866 ram with what you're going to be doing, a single 500GB SSD and a 1TB or 2TB WD Caviar Black HDD

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4VNfD3

Check that one out. Will be much more powerful than your Mac computers and be able to handle everything you can throw at it. I didn't add a heatsink though.

I should have asked this to begin with but what is your budget for this build and do you have the peripherals to go along with it including a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers?

My budget is 800 to 1k. Without any periphrals. Trying to get window 7 for free

The list i showed you is what this person suggested. Roberto blake.
Bc i dont know anything about pc, i was going to change around his build list by asking what other ppl think.
Its interesting how the components you listed are almost all different than what i listed..

Is there any particular reason why you "need" four Solid State Drives?

Seems excessive to me, unless you want or need them to run in RAID mode for some reason.

This is just a build list suggested from some graphic designer on google. Since i dont know anything about this kind of stuff, that list is where ill be start changing things around.
Do you recommend one or none? Whats your take?

For starters ditch the 4820K/X79 for a 4790k/Z97 no reason to go with older equipment that costs more and doesn't perform as good. And as RayRay said get a 970. Uses less power and almost identical performance compared to a 780.

This is what i have so far! Also getting to wrap this up!
i just have to reduce down the price a bit. Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 2.58.08 AM.png

Would you say i go for ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard OR Asus Z97 deluxe ATX?
Review shows that ASRock Z97 is better than Asus Z97. and ASROCK is much cheaper.. May be i'm missing something.

Should i drop the CPU Cooler? i'm not sure if it's necessary.

About the Case, it looks cool, has a good review and good cooling flow. But looking at the front view, if i decide to install the second fan, then the fan would be almost hidden behind the cover.. Which wouldn't provide 100% maximum air flow..

I appreciate your quick responses!!

This is just a build list suggested from some graphic designer on google. Since i dont know anything about this kind of stuff, that list is where ill be start changing things around.
Do you recommend one or none? Whats your take?

I would recommend a single SSD. It seems like with what you will be doing with your PC you wouldn't see much benefit from multiple SSD's, even if you ran them in RAID.

This is what i have so far! Also getting to wrap this up!
i just have to reduce down the price a bit.View attachment 156607

Would you say i go for ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard OR Asus Z97 deluxe ATX?
Review shows that ASRock Z97 is better than Asus Z97. and ASROCK is much cheaper.. May be i'm missing something.

Should i drop the CPU Cooler? i'm not sure if it's necessary.

About the Case, it looks cool, has a good review and good cooling flow. But looking at the front view, if i decide to install the second fan, then the fan would be almost hidden behind the cover.. Which wouldn't provide 100% maximum air flow..

I appreciate your quick responses!!

I would recommend a Samsung 840 Evo, or 840 Pro, or an 850 Pro. They are better than the Crucial M500 (better performance, longer warranty on the PRO series drives). Get at least a 250GB drive (120-128GB would probably not be enough).

I definitely would not recommend the power supply you have selected (Rosewill Capstone). There is a reason why it is so cheap, Rosewill is usually just cheap junk. -disregard that bit, it seems this actually is a good power supply. Generally, the cheaper a power supply is, the more crap/junk/rubbish its components and performance/reliability is. Look into Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Super Flower, (some Antec).

I personally mainly know about Corsair. I buy them usually, because of the good reliability and great warranties. My recommendations would be TX750, TX850, HX750, HX850 if you want something in the 700-850 Watt range.

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III series is also good. (I own an 850W Silencer Mk III.)

Last edited:
i already ordered Rosewill.. 750w 80+ Gold though.. i had to cheap on some component..

I will get 840 Evo though thanks

Power supplies are not something you want to cheap on. It's very possible one could mess up and take the whole pc with it.

Back