• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 EVGA GTX 980 SC's are running hot - is the backplate removable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbraun

I have 3 EVGA GTX 980 SC with reference design. At full speed, two of them (presumably the ones getting less air) leveled off at 100% fan speed and 91C, so I removed the little backplate segments, that some bloggers claimed were designed by NVidia to be removable, and now they run at 93% fan speed and 89C.

I wonder if the whole backplate is removable? I can see the screws on the back, but I don't know what will happen if I unscrew them: will the cooler come off as well, or just the backplate?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any documentation on either NVidia's or EVGA's web sites about this.

The dual fan coolers are not really designed for SLI, especially if you have a board that puts the GPUs right next to each other. The reference cooler is the way to go for the top and middle cards, but since it's too late to change that, stick a Delta in the side panel as the next best solution.

That's actually a problem because both ACX and stock coolers are not designed to keep these cards at reasonable temps in SLI. ACX cooler is much better but is not delivering enough air, because there is not much space. Stock cooler is better idea for SLI but has much worse performance and is louder. In both cases expect throttling above 70*C and loud work ( even if you set limits higher ).
I was testing 3x GTX970 in SLI and for daily work it would be pain for me. Best is to get water cooling for 3-4 card SLI but it's expensive.

I think that backplates are removable just because some cards were sold without it.

I'm attaching a pic of my setup:

xC09t00.jpg

The cards, top to bottom, are:
EVGA GTX 750 Ti
3x EVGA GTX 980 SC
NVidia Tesla
(I use the 750 for graphics, and the rest for GPGPU)

The Tesla has no backplate at all, which is why I think the GTX 980 SC that's next to it runs a bit cooler: 86C at 78% fan speed, whereas the other two reach 89C at 93% fan speed. The 980's have the original backplates with the optional segments removed.

This is probably OK, because the design temperature for the 980 chip is 98C, but I'm also considering three ideas:

1. removing the backplates completely, as I mentioned (I need more info on that: Does this void the warranty? (EVGA does sell different backplates, compatible with this card, but they do not explain how to remove the stock backplate) Do I need different screws?)

2. adding new intake fans on top and the side (there are already 3 on the front)

3. removing or reversing the outtake fan on the back and closing the passive grill holes to force the air to go through the PCI cards (is that crazy?)

That setup really does ask for some Deltas. One in the side panel over the GPUs would be a good start, and maybe one in the front. The exhaust fan can stay as it is.

Yeah GPU makers really shaft SLI folks with their poor air cooling performance. They leave no out, expect to go that dangerous, costly, high maintenece custom wc route.

Are you noticing performance decreases at those temps? My GTX 670s run at 100c in SLI in the summer at least and I have played SWTOR for hours like that with no noticeable decrease in performance. Hell, if they overheat and fry you can return them as it's the manufacturers fault their cooler doesn't do its job.

If I may ask what do you use the GPGPU power for? Bitcoining?

Last edited:
if you must run SLI... rather than sandwich them together, you might consider using PCI-E riser cables.
that would allow you to spread them apart (case permitting) to get some airflow between them.

I'm probably going to try to attach a fan directly to the video cards, as people suggested, like so:

zRAHeKH.jpg

I have three questions:

1. What's the best way to attach the fan? (No duct tape - I'm trying to keep it classy)

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the motherboard (Supermicro X9DRG-QF) knows anything about GPU temperatures, and so it won't be able to regulate the fan speed. My motherboard has a bunch of little fan connectors, but the manual doesn't describe them. It just says that two of them are for the CPU fans. Will the new fan need to always be at 100% speed and presumably fed via the Molex connector?

3. What are the downsides of leaving things the way they are (89C under load) ? This seems to be well within the manufacturer's spec, and even if the cards last 3 years instead of 5, they'll probably be close to worthless by then.

Looks like your best bet is to make a bracket to attach the fan to the card retainer. You can just use a PWM fan controller and leave it set to where the GPU temperatures stay reasonable.

If you watercooled everything maybe you could hook it all
up to your water heater and save on your hot water heating
bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back