• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Seasonic X750 enough for CF 290s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

Wondering if I add another 290, will my x750 (gold rated) keep up?

From what I've read, I should expect no more than 700w draw. Do I need to worry about spikes, though?

Thanks

EDIT: After much fruitful (and some fruitless) debate, I think a gold-rated 750w would be enough to power two 290s in their stock configuration, but I'd be running them a little closer to the edge than I'm comfortable with. I bumped up to the EVGA Supernova 850 B2. Should give me some room later if I ever have the need to overclock the cards.

Last edited:
It should be plenty, even overclocked. Your looking at near 700w draw with both the Cpu and Gpu's Oced and running at 100%, the 12v rail is 744w. Unless you're doing some extreme benchmarking it's doubtful you'll be running both cards and the cpu at 100%, so the power draw will be less then 700W.

To close to the bone for me. I think an 850 would be the sweet spot for a grinder, if pounding on them hard 1K

I am with Witchdoctor and Mr. Scott.

Get a 850w at least if you plan on any OC on the GPU's.

With the 50% extra power, each card will hit more than 350w on load.

My 2*290X's@1150/1500 and a [email protected] were pulling more than 950w from the wall on full load (benchmarking, gaming no vsync) with a 1000W 80+ bronze PSU.

You can count on 850W+ with a couple of 290's.

Yes, including gaming.

The cards only at 100% with the +50% power limit are already around 700.

Guys, that power draw is from the WALL for the SYSTEM.

With a 743W peak, assuming 85% efficiency, the PSU is supplying 631W.
ninjacore, don't waste money.

^750W is not enough for 2x290 overclcoked.

that 631W at stock.

With oC an power limit set to +50%, you are reaching 700W for the GPU's only.

Edit: I was pulling 950W+ from the wall with 2x290X's. Count a hundred W less at max for 2 290's

^750W is not enough for 2x290 overclcoked.

that 631W at stock.

With oC an power limit set to +50%, you are reaching 700W for the GPU's only.

Edit: I was pulling 950W+ from the wall with 2x290X's. Count a hundred W less at max for 2 290's

Okay? So you were pulling approximately 800W from your PSU.
Count 100W less for 290's, and you're at 700W.

Still 50W to the good.

As I said, he's just fine.

^ you know it all, that's okay with me.

Maybe you should read some reviews, as I don't believe you have any experience with theses GPU's... At least from what I've seen on your Hwbot profile.

To be fair, your experience is with the 290Xs, manu, so neither do you ;)

With efficiency, do I just multiple the percentage by the total consumption to get what is actually being asked of the PSU?

Sounds like either it'd be close either way, especially if I did OC them.

Just found the Supernova 850 B2 for $66. I can't find reviews for it, though?

Back