• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Seasonic X750 enough for CF 290s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To be fair, your experience is with the 290Xs, manu, so neither do you ;)

With efficiency, do I just multiple the percentage by the total consumption to get what is actually being asked of the PSU?

Sounds like either it'd be close either way, especially if I did OC them.

Just found the Supernova 850 B2 for $66. I can't find reviews for it, though?

Yep, that's all you need to do

The 850 B2 is really new. The while B2 line up is new actually.
Here's a review of the 750W B2 though:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=393

Just put your system into the Extreme power supply calculator

Do not know exactly what you have but used 5 120 mm fans CD rom and 20% capacitor age , 1 SSD, 1 spinner

CPU overclock at 4.3 @ 1.33 vcore and video cards at stock both running at 90% TDP

NC power.jpg

Also did it with no overclock on the CPU

comes out to and it comes out to 856 watts & 906 watts recommended

Based on this my initial thoughts of an 850 doing the job may have been low.

Their is a lot of speculation in this thread. Reality of the situation is there are many factors you yourself have not told us

What are your expectations ??? if we are to assume the sky is the limit it would be easy to say grab a quality 1200 watt unit and call it a day.

That is not that extreme TBH, for me if I were benching 2x 290's and a highly overclocked CPU I would not even attempt it with one power supply of any available wattage or quality.

The other end of the spectrum if you run stock you may want to look at a 900 watt unit

Will you be adding water pumps, fans and drives ??? these are all questions you need to ask yourself.

I typically try to steer clear of these power supply threads as typically we have no idea what the OP's expectations are.

Lastly with no overclock a 10% capacitor age it comes out to 785 watts and 835 watts recommended

Best of luck

Last edited:
I saw his review of the 750? Am I to expect vastly different components in the 850 or will the positive rating still pretty much stand for that unit as well?

The 750 and 850 will be very similar. EVGA used the same manufacturer (to my knowledge) for both units.

Do not know exactly what you have but used 5 120 mm fans CD rom and 20% capacitor age , 1 SSD, 1 spinner

CPU overclock at 4.3 @ 1.33 vcore and video cards at stock both running at 90% TDP

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Used that one. Recommended 735, minimum 685.

The 750 and 850 will be very similar. EVGA used the same manufacturer (to my knowledge) for both units.

Thanks. That's likely the one I'd go with then. $66 seems a pretty good deal. Still doesn't seem that I need it, though I likely will OC the cards at some point..

Also did it with no overclock on the CPU

comes out to and it comes out to 856 watts & 906 watts recommended

Based on this my initial thoughts of an 850 doing the job may have been low.

Their is a lot of speculation in this thread. Reality of the situation is there are many factors you yourself have not told us

What are your expectations ??? if we are to assume the sky is the limit it would be easy to say grab a quality 1200 watt unit and call it a day.

That is not that extreme TBH, for me if I were benching 2x 290's and a highly overclocked CPU I would not even attempt it with one power supply of any available wattage or quality.

The other end of the spectrum if you run stock you may want to look at a 900 watt unit

Will you be adding water pumps, fans and drives ??? these are all questions you need to ask yourself.

I typically try to steer clear of these power supply threads as typically we have no idea what the OP's expectations are.

Lastly with no overclock a 10% capacitor age it comes out to 785 watts and 835 watts recommended

Best of luck

Based on my last post this is the unit I would recommend if overclocking will be addressed

$ 100.00 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438019

I didn't see all the edits in your post. Looks like you may have used 290Xs instead of 290s?

Let me input my components again and get a screenshot. I think 1000 would be overkill based off the calculator, others' opinions, and reviews.

psu.png

Redid it, this time specifying all the right parts (see image). Looks like it's even lower than my quick run through this morning.

The only exception is the 4790K. I actually have a 4690K, but I didn't see that in the list, so I just picked a chip which had the same TDP (88W).

I'm thinking I'd be safe with my X750 with the cards at stock speeds, but if I OC'd them, I would be looking at something between 750 and 800w.

I feel bad dropping down from a gold-rated unit to a bronze, but needs is needs :)

Last edited:
Powercolor must be playing it safe..

I use to run 2x 7970 Ghz 6Gb on AX750, not issues.

The same AX750 is now running 2x GTX 670 without isseues.

I dont think you'll have any issues with 2x 290, but Powercolor say 750Watt for one card, which is complete rubbish!

I dont think you'll have any issues with 2x 290, but Powercolor say 750Watt for one card, which is complete rubbish!

Yea, that's way more than necessary for one. At some point a few months ago, I was running my PCS+ 290 on an XFX core 550w without issue (I may have even had it OC'd).

K last comparison, then I'll buy ;).

Supernova B2 850w new from Egg for $66 (includes a $20 rebate)

or

Used (3 months mining) Supernova G2 1000w for $90 shipped

90 bucks for a 1K is a great buy, no matter if you go bronze, will not effect output simply how much you pay to operate it

yes my bad, I used 290x GPU's

For 24 bucks the 1K is a not brainer IMO

To be fair, your experience is with the 290Xs, manu, so neither do you ;)

With efficiency, do I just multiple the percentage by the total consumption to get what is actually being asked of the PSU?

Sounds like either it'd be close either way, especially if I did OC them.

Just found the Supernova 850 B2 for $66. I can't find reviews for it, though?

Nope, before unlocking the 290, I had a 290's crossfire. And it was already pulling 850w+.

You'll find a couple of subs on the bot.

Nope, before unlocking the 290, I had a 290's crossfire. And it was already pulling 850w+.

You'll find a couple of subs on the bot.

Again though, that's 850W at the wall.
Still on the safe side when taking efficiency into account.

^man, I say loud what many people think low: you have a big mouth and a big ego. You talk a lot of crap and are full of yourself when posting on the Web, which are characteristics of no life frustrated people...

850 minus 12% (my PSU efficiency at 80%) is 752w.

^man, I say loud what many people think low: you have a big mouth and a big ego. You talk a lot of crap and are full of yourself when posting on the Web, which are characteristics of no life frustrated people...

Regardless of your opinion, this is not the place. Take it to PM or to a mod if you have a problem with someone, please. This isn't hardforum. Let's keep it on topic :thup:

850 minus 12% (my PSU efficiency at 80%) is 752w.

Okay, doesn't bother me what you think at all.

Also your PSU is actually 16% difference from the wall number at 80% load (reading from JonnyGuru's review), which puts you at 714W from the PSU.

Regardless of your opinion, this is not the place. Take it to PM or to a mod if you have a problem with someone, please. This isn't hardforum. Let's keep it on topic :thup:

+1
I'm glad to hash it out with you over PM.

Back