• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx6300 overclock advice (voltage)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enduranceZ

Hi guys,
Not new to building PCs but new to overclocking.
Im running the amd 6300fx on a m5a97 r 2.0.
Firstly, I do not want much overclocking only a very mild clock, what I care for is a good stable experience when I play bf4. etc.
The mobo seems to have alot of vdroop currently running at 3.9 ghz at 1.272 stable, but under stress in p95 and occt the vcore droops down to 1.18-1.200 however the system is stable with 2.5 hours of p95, and 3 hours on octt. The part I do not understand is when I enable LLC the vcore goes up to 1.30x under load. Am I better off leaving llc off what is the difference? Or is this voltage fluctuation under load fine?

thanks for your input.

endurance Welcome to the forum, if you're only looking for a mild Oc that motherboard should be able to achieve it. That said the 4+2 Power Phase VRM section of the motherboard isn't all that great for pushing the demanding Fx processors on it. If the setup is "2.5 hours of p95, and 3 hours on occt." as you said then it shouldn't give you an issue running with the LLC off. You could also turn it on and try lowering the set Cpu Voltage a bit to have it peak at the 1.27 V you have it set at now. The voltage fluctuation shouldn't be a problem but sometimes it could cause instability if it drops further then what the Cpu needs to run at X clock speed. If you're happy where it's at right not then I'd just leave it and post back if any issues arise. Just out of curiosity could you post a screen shot of Hwmonitor under load of prime blend for 20 minutes, please use the inforum attachment tool, ie the paper clip icon above the reply thread. This will give us a better idea of what is going on under load. You could also attach screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory if you want.

enduranceZ, most games can only use four cores at this time, with that board I woild disable 2 cores and let the motherboard relax a bit.
Doing this might also allow a higher overclock, temps permitting.

If I were to even it out at 4ghz, would I need to bump up the v`s?
Don't know, every chip is different, do you have the voltage set manually or are you still on auto? A couple of things I noticed, your Ht link should be at 2600, NB Frequency at 2200 and give a Cpu-Z, Spd tab screen shot so we can see if the timings are correct.

Not sure if it's been put out but what type of cooling are you using and how high are you trying to get an oc for?

How to put up Sig at OCF.

New method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

View attachment 156416

View attachment 156417

Last edited:
The m5a97 r2.0 could take an FX-6300 to 4.0Ghz but little more. I can remember when C_D was trying to get an FX-4100 4 core to 4.3Ghz and he described such as a FAIL since it was a pain to try and get stable. I expect the VRMs were underpowered to supply the cpu with adequete power under load.

The actual proof is in the trying or doing and stress testing. Would I personally buy an m5a97 r2.0 for my type of overclocking of an FX-6300, the answer is surely a NO, but individual users MMV.
RGone...ster.

the ht link and nb frequency are set on auto in the bios, Im guessing if I ramp those up Im going to need more v`s?
spd.jpg exactly the same in slot 4.

I wouldn't worry about either one of those right now. I would set my ram to the XMP-1600 profile and see if you can still pass P95 at your current speed.

Back