• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

c627627 any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luke1978

Was going to try and use the "Refresh" feature of Windows 8.1 before reformatting once again...

W2G.PNG

Thoughts? Tried deleting the relative Registry entry for portableOS and got an error about beng unable to remove/modify. Windows2Go is a feature I have not used... Ever.

Windows To Go is a portable corporate image, an entire Windows 8 OS running off of a USB stick and usually having no access to any hard drives on whichever computer you are using Windows To Go on...

If you don't know what Windows To Go is and have never ever used it... whoever made your Windows To Go image should be able to make you a new image...

IT departments make these images to allow employees to work when on road trips and at home, they boot off of these sticks and all work is saved on the sticks and they are usually never left in the machines they are used on because everything is ON the USB stick itself... so this is not like a home use Windows OS where you can edit and modify various things in your entire environment... it's more or less designed to prevent you from doing that... ;)

You have 60 seconds after accidentally or not removing the USB to reinsert USB and continue work, or else the PC shuts down and nothing on the PC itself is saved, because you never booted off of the hard drive on that PC.... everything is on the USB stick...

If you want to image often, install regular Windows on a relatively small partition, install a dual boot and image one OS from the other in a couple of minutes, making sure you never store any personal data on the OS partition... (move locations of Desktop, Documents, Favorites, default download location etc. away from OS partition.)

Last edited:
Noone made a Windows to go image for me... I just installed windows less than a month ago. And it definitely wasn't on a USB stick. I think something went wonky when I changed motherboards. Regardless I just did a fresh install to correct the problem. And I had full access to both HDDs currently in my system, and full access to the windows store without having to do anything.

Back