• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help this guy build gaming PC, out of loop for 7 years!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
What can I say? I'm lossed! I built my last gaming PC over 7 years ago. became a Mac user and played Xbox in my free time so I have really not kept up at all with the ever-changing of hardware.

I would like to build a budget gaming pc. I spent some time on newegg and quite frankly, was overwhelmed. I felt like my parents probably did when I talked to them about computers in my younger days. The things I used to know seem to no longer be in play.

So give me some help here :)

Looking to play games, not necessarily at ultra high resolution and settings but playable via HDMI 1080p TV.

Would like to spend around $300.00 or so.

I already have the TV, keyboard, mouse, windows.

Really appreciate the help!

Your budget is too low, my friend. You aren't going to get a half decent gaming computer together for that. If you were willing to spend, say $600-700 US we could put something impressive together for you. Even for $550 something acceptable can be crafted. For $300 though you'd be stuck with a cheap APU and not have much power at all. You'd basically be stuck with something inferior to a Playstation 3. Not worth it.

The minimum I'd suggest for you

Pentium G 3258 or Athlon X4 860K
1150 or FM2+ mobo
2x4GB DDR3 1600
1TB WD/Seagate HDD
GTX 750 Ti GPU
Corsair CX430 Power supply
cheapo case
cheapo optical.

Don't just take that list and go hit buy. We need to know more about the games you play and what kind of config you want before suggesting specific parts.

~what types of games are you into
~do you need wifi on this computer
~what other work will be done on this computer
~Can you stretch to $550 or so?
~Are you comfortable ordering from multiple sources, not just newegg (check pcpartpicker) to get the best overall price?

Like ocnoob said need a little more room with your budget to have something that will give a decent experience playing games. I did my build at $500 and it plays everything I throw at it. Do I want more power? Yes. But for what I do it works.

With $300 budget your be stuck using integrated graphics. Which depending on how well you want you games to perform could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Also on that post ocnoob threw together an optical drive is all preference. I haven't used one for my builds or anyone elses builds that I have done for them. They just aren't as needed anymore.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/Zz9RsY

I tweaked it. Put in a cheaper 750Ti (They start at 119 not 150)

and added a cheap cheap optical. People still need them, especially (out of the loop) people. To install Windows, for example.

Might not be a bad idea to go to the CX500 or CX600 to allow future GPU upgrades in a more wide open way.

OP this is an overclockable rig and we highly recommend you overclock it for more performance.

Lol I picked the first 750ti I seen. Internet is garbage in the office.

Yes Overclocking will give you free performance and the 6300 will overclock well with just a 212 evo as the cooler.

Thanks for the replies! I could swing $500 or so. So please, any system suggestions welcome. And as far as where I purchase parts? Doesn't really matter, it convenient to purchase from one place but if there is a large price swing, I will purchase from multiple places.

I should also add, the games I am looking to play.....COD, Battlefield, Kerbal Space Agency, ect. Also, I don't mind a little tweaking, but would prefer to not have to "play around" with the system too much (to the point where I have to purchase more stuff to keep it cool lol)

g3258 as far as cpu is concerned. if you feel like overclocking to 4.5ghz or so with a semi ok cooler, it almost runs with the i5's.
pretty beastly cpu for $70.

I really think this

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/Zz9RsY

is the PERFECT system for you. Better CPU than the 3258, nicely overclockable (we'll teach you how!)

Good enough for now GPU. It's all good. It'll play most things at 1080P comfortably.

Don't go hooking it up to a 1440P or 4K monitor or you'll get horrible framerates :).

I really suggest you build this FX 6300 rig. It leaves upgrade paths to much better GPUs and much better CPUs with no need to change motherboard.

get the 6350 for gaming they said, so much better for gaming they said.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1281?vs=1265

everyone thinks zomg 6 cores much better! not always the case. is it faster in other stuff? sure. but in gaming it's just as fast as an i5 plus or minus a few fps (when its overclocked). plus with this cpu you have an upgrade path, because oh yeah fx is dead, not returning am3+ is done.

the 3258 would be lower power. has an upgrade path, faster for gaming, cheaper, just as overclockable. just throwing this info out there for the mis-informed individuals.

and iirc intel scales better with overclocks. im not 100% on that dont hold me to it.

I see quite a few where the 6350 is double the FPS of the G3258, with the rest being about the same.
You can OC both chips, quite easily. You'll never make up double with an overclock though.

I see quite a few where the 6350 is double the FPS of the G3258, with the rest being about the same.
You can OC both chips, quite easily. You'll never make up double with an overclock though.

didnt happen quote is a lie.

in all honesty anandtech's stupid site was showing the intel chip in red and the amd chip in blue, got confused made mis-informed post. captain smarty pants know it all mcghee had to quote it cuz hes never wrong about anything lol.

Last edited:
didnt happen quote is a lie.

in all honesty anandtech's stupid site was showing the intel chip in red and the amd chip in blue, got confused made mis-informed post. captain smarty pants know it all mcghee had to quote it cuz hes never wrong about anything lol.

It's okay Ross, we all know you can't see :rofl:

Back