• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help this guy build gaming PC, out of loop for 7 years!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ashenfang- just make sure you're playing games at 1080P or lower on this machine. That's all this GPU is cut out for. You'll be on medium settings in a lot of stuff but high settings in some things and of course in older (but still great) games like Arkham Asylum.

And remember you can overclock the CPU AND GPU for higher performance. Don't tweak the RAM. That's a little more advanced.

Again thank you. I ordered the components for the system suggested. Less mail in rebates came out to around $550. After doing ssom

Some reading appears to be a solid system. Another quick question. Windows 7 64bit or windows 8 64 bit for the OS?

The OS is personal preference really. If you go with 8.1 you will have a free upgrade to Win 10 when it comes out.

Some reading appears to be a solid system. Another quick question. Windows 7 64bit or windows 8 64 bit for the OS?

I highly suggest going to best buy and getting the full version Windows 8.1. It will allow you to install on multiple machines later in life, or reinstall if your config changes, whereas OEM is a one shot deal for a new system and if u change hardware you have to call MS and it's a headache. Full version is $15 extra and well worth it.

Win 7 is dead. Win 8.1 can be made to work like Win 7 with the "Classic Shell" update. Also if you buy 8.1 now MS says you will get Win 10 for free.

If you are out of the loop on PC building I suggest watching Carey Holzman's videos on Youtube. They are a very in depth step by step (leaving NOTHING out) videos to help you build and cable manage a modern PC.

Also watch a standalone video for the Hyper 212 cooler installation. It's tricky until you figure it out.

If you are out of the loop on PC building I suggest watching Carey Holzman's videos on Youtube. They are a very in depth step by step (leaving NOTHING out) videos to help you build and cable manage a modern PC.

Also watch a standalone video for the Hyper 212 cooler installation. It's tricky until you figure it out.

Definitely check out a video if you haven't done it before. It will help some even though it is very easy. Just think of it as adult legos.

Back