• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If I download a torrent but dont open it is it safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

If I download a torrent of a video file but I don't open it, (I just put it on a USB drive to watch on my TV) am I safe?
If there were malware on the torrent would I still get it?

On your TV or your Computer?

If you don't open it up you should be fine. I download torrents all the time during deployments. If one has malware in it when I go to open it my antivirus takes care of it. But doesn't notice till I go to open it.

# of video torrents i have downloaded :1000's
# of video torrents i have downloaded that have had viruses: 0

just be careful and read comments on the video, make sure it was uploaded by a trusted user, ect ect. chances are you will be fine. just use common sense.

# of video torrents i have downloaded :1000's
# of video torrents i have downloaded that have had viruses: 0

just be careful and read comments on the video, make sure it was uploaded by a trusted user, ect ect. chances are you will be fine. just use common sense.

That too. I always check out the comments before I actually download.

no one can say yes or no. read comments and make sure it was uploaded by a trusted user, use best judgement.

I'd concern more with who's pinging your open torrent port while you download it :D

Oh and those lovely flash player installs on certain sites that virus scanners can't read due to password protection.

Two most popular modes of back door bum fun entry at present.

Still you can have fun tracking and pinging dodgy ip's back... I get two or three per download and like to hassle them back while I wait for files. Lol

Netstat -a

A fun cmd prompt to see what your ports are doing... A short boring list always makes me happy.

How to on Netstat cmd
https://showyou.com/v/y-OXBF_t2TGus/how-to-use-the-netstat-command-from-the-command

Last edited:
Back