• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, can someone check over what I've done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Browny

Hello,

I've been looking at building a few times in the past couple of years but have never gone ahead as I didn't need the new pc at the time, until now. I'm going to post the link to my build plan as it shows prices etc there.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xmFw8d

Can someone just check over it to see if there's anywhere that I'm wasting money? If there's anything I've missed that's essential and things of that nature.
I know there's no graphics card atm but I'm looking into that in the very near future after having purchased the pc.

I'm planning on using the pc for cinema 4d, video and phot editing, and a little bit of gaming but nothing more than the likes of minecraft which I know is more memory based than graphics based anyway.

Thanks,
Sam

The h60 isn't going to be much better than the stock heatsink. Other than that I'll let the Intel guys judge the other stuff but doesn't look to bad. You'll definitely want to add a gpu when you can for a good gaming experience.

I don't see anything wrong with it, I am a little bit skeptical about the power supply only because I cannot find any reviews on it. I am also not a fan of All in one water heatsinks, personally I'd go with a Coolermaster 212 Evo but that's my personal preference.

Thanks for all the replies, would I still be able to oc the CPU with the 212 cooler?
And I've swapped out the ssd and psu in my build now, thanks for the heads up on those.

I was curious as to why you swapped out the case? I had only picked out the phantom because I thought it looked really nice. Was I just wasting money on aesthetics?

And if I was getting a gpu eventually I'd either get something like an r9 or a cheaper and one and then another one afterwards. Only amd as my m'board runs crossfire but not sli.

Yes the 212 is a good heat sink, if you're looking for a mild OC it will be just fine.

That Z97 board should run XFire or SLI. Either one.

Don't get 2 medium powered GPUs. Get 1 powerful GPU. SLI/CFX creates headaches along with its high performance. Better off with 1 card. Only buy 2 when 1 great card isn't enough for you (multiple monitors, 4K, etc).

I feel you were wasting some money on aesthetics on the case at a time when your budget isn't high to begin with. Better to take that extra money and get a better motherboard or SSD or larger HDD etc. Don't waste money on bling until your budget is over $1800US is my mantra.

I think either the Corsair 200R or slighly pudgier 300R are both great choices.

Okay so I've made a few changes now to my parts list

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BMRpFT

I'm not sure whether or not the gpu is a bit overkill or not?
And also for an extra £20 I can double to storage of the ssd I've got so I'm debating doing that. What would the benefits be of getting a better ssd? Is it really worth getting a better one? Will I notice it being faster?

Looks pretty good to me. If you go with a bigger ssd you can keep more of your highly used programs on it so they will load faster. If you go with a bigger one go with the Samsung 840 or the crucial drive. Both are great SSDs. For this build a 600w PSU may be slightly overkill.

I like the way you have the build configured now. A bigger SSD just lets you put more stuff on it. More stuff on an SSD is more stuff you can read faster. If that benefits you (It benefits everyone btw) then you should get a bigger SSD.

In time we will all have 2TB SSDs in even our entry level systems but until then budget the biggest one you can. Don't change any parts at this point it looks good to me and will accomplish your tasks.

Still a great build. CX powersupplies are not strong. They are known to roll over and die after a few years. I have built 2 systems with them. 1 has already kicked the bucket and needed a replacement. A Seasonic G550, though more expensive, is likely to run longer.

Still, you'll be pulling low power from it with that 750 Ti and it ought to be ok.

Now ive swapped out the psu from cx to a BeQuiet L8 500W PSU which should be sufficient for any upgrades i make.

I am still unsure for the case, 200r, 300r or zalman z11 plus gets quite good reviews?

Now ive swapped out the psu from cx to a BeQuiet L8 500W PSU which should be sufficient for any upgrades i make.

I am still unsure for the case, 200r, 300r or zalman z11 plus gets quite good reviews?
I feel cases are very personal choices, it's tough for someone to recommend one. You should find ones you like the look of and read reviews on it. I have built a rig for a friend in a Zalman 11 and it was a nice case to work with, he liked the way it looked that was the only reason for the purchase.

I have an older version of this case and I really like it. It comes with 4 fans pre-installed and has a bunch of bells and whistles for $50.00 it's a pretty good buy.

Last edited:
I feel cases are very personal choices, it's tough for someone to recommend one. You should find ones you like the look of and read reviews on it. I have built a rig for a friend in a Zalman 11 and it was a nice case to work with, he liked the way it looked that was the only reason for the purchase.

I have an older version of this case and I really like it. It comes with 4 fans pre-installed and has a bunch of bells and whistles for $50.00 it's a pretty good buy.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm gonna look around for a case and maybe buy that last as how much money I have left could dictate what case I choose to get, I'd love to get an nzxt phantom but I wasn't sure if it was worth £70+-

Also is the gtx 750ti the best gpu I could get for £100 ish?
Or is there a cheaper alternative that would suffice? Or should I spend that little extra to get a better gpu long term?

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm gonna look around for a case and maybe buy that last as how much money I have left could dictate what case I choose to get, I'd love to get an nzxt phantom but I wasn't sure if it was worth £70+-

Also is the gtx 750ti the best gpu I could get for £100 ish?
Or is there a cheaper alternative that would suffice? Or should I spend that little extra to get a better gpu long term?

Radeon R9 270 should be a bit better (in theory) and is about the same price.

If it was gaming only I'd say get a cheaper CPU and get a better graphics card but since that is not the case I'd get the i5

Benchmarks and review
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1399&page=16

Last edited:
Back