• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a PSU to power a peltier [gauging interest in a how-to guide]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boanerges57

Registered
Ive got a fairly good grasp on building power supplies. 10 years ago I was a promising engineering student. I never finished my degree as I decided to join the US army and spent 8 years forgetting a lot.

I have built several power supplies from 9v all the way up to 450v DC output. I am planning on building a small power supply capable of outputting either 12v or 15v and going up to 10A (so either 120 watt or 150 watt).

i may go up a little higher to 20A or so but I dont really think that will be very cost effective and i intend this to be a sturdy and reliable PSU on a budget.

If there really isnt much interest Ill just maybe do an imgur album rather than a full write up and link it somewhere.

I'd read it, used to do a bunch of peltier stuff back in the day, then as waterchillers when I had more radiators than sense. 13.8V was the best efficiency for 15V peltiers if memory serves, or was it 12V for 13.8V peltiers... hrm. Anyhow, I'm afraid the "electric heat pump" pretty much died when too much leakage, then high temps and power management become design\manufacturing cornerstones. Still be fun to read though so go for it and be safe! (starts to think about 3'x2' aluminum plate against the cool window with a block and a pump hooked up to a box res). DARN YOU! :D

Back