• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me to choose AMD cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aggeluska

Registered
hello , I am looking to buy a new pc . I am between these 3 CPUs . could you help me choose?

Amd Fx 6300 price 85 euro
Athlon x4 860k price 65 euro
A8 6600k price 78 euro

these are the lowest prices I foudn in German Market. I used www.cpuboss.com to compare and the result was that athlon is slightly better than the others in 1 task performing . and in multitasking fx 6300 is slightly better than athlon . Whats your suggestion ? which one you would buy and why ?

thanks

Last edited:
I am build from scratch yes. budget is around 400 euro . the lowest the better . now i have this

AMD Athlon X4 860K 4x 3.70GHz So.FM2+ BOX 65.20 euro
ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ AMD A88X So.FM2+ 43.85 euro
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM 62.38 euro
Cooltek X2 Midi Tower ohne Netzteil schwarz 21.93 euro
21,5" (54,61cm) Samsung SyncMaster 89.83 euro
530 Watt Thermaltake Hamburg Non-Modular 37.89 euro
000GB Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 46.01 euro

TOTAL EURO : 367 euro

Now I will not buy a GPU because i dont have enough money . I will use my old GPU GTX260 for 1-2 months and then when i have money i will buy a GTX 750 Ti . Also i am not thinking of overclocking.

I would bump that motherboard up to the ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+

Look for a better PSU, Thermaltake is typically "meh" on a good day in terms of power supplies.
A Corsair CX500M would be adequate, a Seasonic G-550 would be great.

Do you already have the copy of Windows?

Just take a look at the changes I suggested.

You won't get up to an FX system that's worth having in your budget, you're better staying with the 860K.

what about choosing intel pentium G3258 instead of this athlon 860k? I saw some comparison on utube and says is better the intel one .

what about choosing intel pentium G3258 instead of this athlon 860k? I saw some comparison on utube and says is better the intel one .

I would take the 860K because of the extra cores, personally.

I don't know if it's the best answer to this thread but if it's for gaming then I would get Intel and forget about cheaper AMD as it's waste of money. Something like G3258 after OC or haswell based i3 is beating all these AMD CPUs in generally everything while price will be almost the same. Also generated noise and heat is lower on stock Intel fan, especially if you don't want to OC and pick i3 CPU. i3 3.5GHz in games looks like 4.5GHz+ A8 6600K.
4 threaded AMD = 2 modules of 2 threads each so in theory it looks like 2 core Intel with HT but in real Intel beats AMD in core to core performance. Usually you need 1GHz higher AMD CPU clock to reach Intel Haswell CPU at the same amount of threads. That's why I compared i3 4330 3.5GHz to A8 6600K 4.5GHz ( I actually had both these CPUs so I could compare it in games ).

I don't know if it's the best answer to this thread but if it's for gaming then I would get Intel and forget about cheaper AMD as it's waste of money. Something like G3258 after OC or haswell based i3 is beating all these AMD CPUs in generally everything while price will be almost the same. Also generated noise and heat is lower on stock Intel fan, especially if you don't want to OC and pick i3 CPU. i3 3.5GHz in games looks like 4.5GHz+ A8 6600K.
4 threaded AMD = 2 modules of 2 threads each so in theory it looks like 2 core Intel with HT but in real Intel beats AMD in core to core performance. Usually you need 1GHz higher AMD CPU clock to reach Intel Haswell CPU at the same amount of threads. That's why I compared i3 4330 3.5GHz to A8 6600K 4.5GHz ( I actually had both these CPUs so I could compare it in games ).

Actually the 860K is keeping up with the G3258 very well.
This isn't a full review by any means, but it shows a bit of comparison: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041203469
Also some good numbers here: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_athlon_860k_black_edition_cpu_review/1

The A8-6600K is no comparison to the 860K. At all.

Not so much info in these links and generally no gaming performance comparison. I gave overclocked 6600K as an example just because I tested it and it's on the list in the 1st post. I also said that i3 will be better option in not much higher price than AMD while it will be faster and runs cooler.

On all my AMD setups in last 2 years I saw random performance drops and lags in online games so regardless of average FPS, I'm not recommending them for games. After switching to Intel, problems were disappearing. So it's not only about benchmark results but general experience.

Last edited:
Not so much info in these links and generally no gaming performance comparison. I gave overclocked 6600K as an example just because I tested it and it's on the list in the 1st post. I also said that i3 will be better option in not much higher price than AMD while it will be faster and runs cooler.

Did you go to the later pages of the second link? Plenty of numbers you can compare to.

I picked the closest CPU I could in this comparison, the 7850K.
And I picked a Haswell i3. Gaming numbers are mostly toward the 7850K, not the i3. And the 860K is a faster CPU than a 7850K.
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1200?vs=1192

omg guys . I really dont know . i have a day off from work today and i want to order the components today and i am just sitting and staring the monitor fo my laptop wondering what to take . There are rumours that DX 12 is going to boost the CPUs from 4 cores or more . I dont know . I saw videos in youtube compering the athlon x4 860k and intel pentium G3258 and they showed that the pentium is more flunet in gaming and stuff. I am not interested to play all games in Ultra settings and run everything in 1080p and stuff . I just want to not have the problem of thinking prior of getting a game because its gonna be unplayble. I just want to play games in high textures and enviroment graphics . I am not using any video editing or such . only microsoft office for my presentetions . I am not intending on overlocking because I dont have the money to buy good motherboard and good cpu cooler. I just dont want to buy smth new and then regret it . thats all

friend , the i3s CPUs are almost twice more expensive than this athlon . is not a choice. i3 and one motherboard goes like 200 euro , only those two parts . and with athlon is 260 for the whole system xD

If it were me and I didn't have the money for Intel I personally would go the 860k route. The FM2+ platform is where AMD is at the moment and should hopefully produce some better processors for upgrades....hopefully..

It all depends on money...

...if one cannot or will not afford the entry level Intel cpu for gaming, then there is very little choice. You get what your money can buy and then there is NO sense in complaining if you do not have all you needed.

As the APU being where AMD is currently, that is true. But I would not hold my breath waiting for FM2+ processors to get any better. Not with the current archtecture which is a hold-over from FX VIshera now called Kaveri for desktop. There is nowhere else for AMD to go. They cannot put 6 cores or 3 modules of 2 cores inside the metal cover since there is no room with the iGPU inside with the cpu. They gave up the IPC to Intel when they used a single Floating Point front end for 2 cores inside a module.

Now what is most likely to come from AMD is the 'next' architecture their big segundos talked about maybe half a year ago. That new architecture is not scheduled until 2016 or so the big guns have stated. That would realistically based on the big boys talk, make it at least 14 to 16 months off in the ethersphere somewhere.

If you want to "really" game with the APU-like cpus that AMD has which have the iGPU inside disabled and put a graphic card in with enough "beans" in the video card and at least DDR3-2133 ram, then you can make a go of what AMD has to offer in the cheapest route. If that is not financially possible, then you cannot afford Intel either and you cannot make a decent gaming rig is what it all seems to look like. Of course all that will depend on what one considers a decent gaming setup. If you have to have 60FPS or greater and all eye-candy on with 4K veiwing, then APU rigs need not even come on your radar.
RGone...ster.

Did you go to the later pages of the second link? Plenty of numbers you can compare to.

I picked the closest CPU I could in this comparison, the 7850K.
And I picked a Haswell i3. Gaming numbers are mostly toward the 7850K, not the i3. And the 860K is a faster CPU than a 7850K.
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1200?vs=1192

In your last link there is comparison of X4 860 + R5 250 vs 7850K on IGP and no words about any Intel. In link from last post ( Anand ) games performance is based on IGP. i3 is faster CPU but it has worse graphics so you are right, 7850K is faster in games on IGP ... but Athlon X4 860K has no IGP and CPU is still worse than i3.
It doesn't change fact that in this budget X4 860K looks better if you want to use discrete graphics card.

Back